Jeep Commander Forum banner

3.7 Oil Change question

28K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  CommandoX 
#1 ·
Hi, I've been searching but to no luck (or I just suck) but anyways there's a TON of room in front of the 3.7 and I was wondering what everyone thought of removing the oil filter from the top of the engine, or should I just do it from under like every other car? I've never had a vehicle that had a filter up front with no obstructions (kudos on jeep for making it easy access). Is this going to be a pain to put back on from the top? Thanks a lot. BTW I'm going to switch over to Mobil 1 5-30, so that's why I'm going to do it and not the stealership.

Thanks,
Mike

#2 ·
It's easy to do from the top, no reason to relocate it.

Why are you switching from 5w20 to 5w30? I would use what they recommand, at least until you are out of warranty.

#3 ·
It's easy to do from the top, no reason to relocate it.

Why are you switching from 5w20 to 5w30? I would use what they recommand, at least until you are out of warranty.
The 3.7L does not require 5W20. Only the 5.7L HEMI with MDS requires 5W20.

#4 ·
Thanks for the help, I did it today, and found it not a problem to remove the filter from the front... very easy oil change other than the fact I didn't have a 3\8 drive 13mm socket.... but after a quick trip to auto zone it was 20 min. tops. I never like to use sockets on oil pans due to the whole stripping issue, but the Dealer torqued it down like no one's business.... luckily next time it'll be a piece of cake :)

#8 ·
My 08 3.7 uses 5w20 as well. Just got done changing the oil today. I have been changing it every 5K or so with Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 filter. Really thinking about swapping out the oil change plug with a Fumoto valve at my next change. The filter location is pretty annoying. I may look at reconfiguring it to a remote mounted bypass filtration system in the future.

#9 ·
I swore for some reason my '06 was spec'ed for 5-30... anyway I don't think there's hardly a difference between it and 5-20. Nothing that 5k miles would damage anyway. It seems to drive great and the power is very good as well. I have noticed an extra 1 mpg too on the Mobil 1 :)... very nice

#11 ·
I tried looking for the thread wher someone was bent over for synthetic at about $100....i just had mine done this morning at my local carwash here in AZ (Danny's) normaly i get the (works) car wash runs about $15 and my oil change today was $59 but it includae car wash so ...oh ya it was mobil 1 synth. ...so it came out to $44 not bad i think. AND i also was able to see an increse of 1mpg i will be going on a road trip so will see....spark plugs are next.

#13 ·
Depending on what year vehicle you have you can set the reminder mileage yourself while personalizing your settings.
The newer Commanders (I think 09 and 10) use a system that determines change time based on hours of operation, number of startups, and mileage to determine when to set the light.
If yours was/is the newer version for example, it could set at that low a mileage, but you've been short tripping for 6 months.
The light sets based on number of startups in this case, even with only 2500 miles.

If your system is the reconfigureable type, it just sets the light at your pre-determined mileage, I think the range was 2500, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, and 5000.

Rob

#15 ·
Now that I know the model year, I read your owners manual.
It says the oil change moniter IS duty cycle based.
This means you cannot configure it and it likely tripped the light based, in your case, on multiple short trips.
This is a good thing because short trips are about the worst thing that can happen to oil.....loads up with unburned fuel and moisture, fast.
How many months have you been driving it?

Rob

#17 ·
What I hate about changing the oil filter on my 3.7 is that the serpentine belt is right in the way, but what I like is how its got a channel for the oil from the filter to travel on instead of going all over the place. I also change the oil with a full synthetic every 3000 miles and Zmax every 6000 miles so i'll get almost 20mpg's on the highway

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.