Jeep Commander Forum banner

[Lock Pick] What front camera to add to see through snow/fog?

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  cico7 
#1 ·
Ok, so I have a Lock Pick on order, and am thinking about adding a front camera to help see through whiteout conditions in the winter time... any thoughts on which camera to get?

It would be cool to install inside the front winshield so it stays clean...

Thoughts?!?

Chuck

#3 ·
I gave up with a camera, thermal imaging just doesnt have the range and mud messes with it totally.

If it's raining hard enough, you would probably get better results with a sonar emitter. Radar works too, but the dome on the roof increases drag, but I've seen one embedded in a Thule roof box..... that might be worth a try.

#4 ·
If you cannot see during a white-out, the last thing you need to do is take your eyes off the road to watch a monitor in your dash of the same road in front of you. Save your money and your life and use your eyes.

#5 ·
I see where you are coming from (pardon the pun). The following may sound harsh, but I do not mean it to come across that way......

With all due respect, I have been driving in Upstate NY winters for the last 25 years and have avoided every close call in that time. Recently a guy lost control of his HHR on a flash-frozen two lane curved bridge deck and spun around "lane to lane to lane" three times and I avoided him completely (he did three 180º spins).

The camera is just an added value feature... for fun mostly... don't worry about me... worry about the rest of the non-thinking airheads out there!

Chuck

#6 ·
Heck, I think you should just go ahead and get you a full military grade FLIR night vision setup like on the Blackhawk Helicopter. You could use the military flight helmet and have the added benefit of using your cell phone in the hands free mode as well as protecting your noggin with a brain bucket. Durn, you might even get your IPOD to play music thru them headphones.

Sorry....I just had to do that......

#9 ·
Heck, I think you should just go ahead and get you a full military grade FLIR night vision setup like on the Blackhawk Helicopter. You could use the military flight helmet and have the added benefit of using your cell phone in the hands free mode as well as protecting your noggin with a brain bucket. Durn, you might even get your IPOD to play music thru them headphones.

Sorry....I just had to do that......
You know... that would be VERY cool!!! but pretty crazy huh!

A regular camera is going to see the same thing you are seeing and is not going to help at all. The only thing that might help is a thermal imaging camera like in post #2. But that may not help either.
Good point... I think the discussion in here makes it clear that even for fun, it is a waste of the extra camera input.

Chuck

#7 ·
The trick to it is getting the camera to zoom.
I have a webcam and a forward looking camera on mine.
The webcam requires a laptop or something. The other is a backup cam,
so it is reversed. Neither will zoom.

My forward camera is mounted in the front bumper. It has been broken
2 times. I would not recommend that location.

But look for a camera you can zoom with.

#8 ·
A regular camera is going to see the same thing you are seeing and is not going to help at all. The only thing that might help is a thermal imaging camera like in post #2. But that may not help either.

#10 ·
You could always go with millimeter-Wave RADAR:
http://www.quinstar.com/an05_millimeter_wave_radar_subsystems.html

That'll cut through a white-out condition. You would also be able to hack up some custom software with an automated collision-avoidance system with really cool voices telling you how you're about to die - in an Australian accent.

Not sure how that works with a good coating of mud, but what the heck...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.