Jeep Commander Forum banner

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review: First Drive

9K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  jeep5253 
#1 ·

Chrysler has encountered more than a few obstacles over the past two years, but the automaker's biggest challenge remains its own survival. In order to survive—and thrive—the company is going to need to prove that its products can be class-competitive. If the products on hand can't lure buyers into showrooms, then the Chrysler/Fiat alliance is doomed.

Thanks to the bankruptcy and a federal government bailout, plus the aforementioned alliance with Fiat, Chrysler has a clean slate with which to start from. However, the very public nature of the company's fall into and climb out of bankruptcy means that all eyes are watching as it brings new product to market.

Imagine then, the pressure on Chrysler's Jeep division. It has the distinction of launching the company's first post-bankruptcy product: The 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. While it's important to note that a redesigned Grand Cherokee was in development long before Chrysler entered bankruptcy—the 2011 Grand Cherokee was first previewed at the 2009 New York Auto Show, a month or so before Chrysler began bankruptcy proceedings—there's no denying that both the automotive industry and the general public have been waiting to see what kind of job Jeep has done with the big SUV.

The pressure on Jeep isn't just from those who want a return on the investment from the American taxpayers. Other interested parties include Chrysler's dealer network, which is desperate for a new, strong mainstream product not named "Ram," the ever-curious and ever-insatiable automotive press and, of course, the mid-size SUV buyer.

More: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review: First Drive on AutoGuide.com

See less See more
#3 ·
We received our Limited on Friday and I must say it is not a Journey, but the high tech goodies in this one might not be for the off road crowd. Our Laredo will be in this week.
Did you get to drive it ?

#6 · (Edited)
The new GC started development when Diamler still owned Chrysler. Thus, the new GC is based on the ML series and shares a lot of chassis parts (suspension, etc) with it. Engines, transmission, drive train (QT I, Qt II, and QD II, and Quadra-lift) are pure Jeep. Commander is based on previous GC. :stickpoke: :eek:rangehat:

#7 ·
#10 ·
How did you do that ?

#11 ·
I test drove an Overland a few days ago. Very tight (in a good sense) on the road. Excellent interior. Loved how roomy it was.

The bad news:

1. The Quadra-lift will be a late-year availability, apparently.

2. The QD2 doesn't look like it'll be a genuine QD2. Doesn't have the right diff.

3. Even if someone manages to make a lift for it, you can't fit bigger tires into the wells. I was really disappointed with that.

As an in-town, on-road vehicle, though, I thought it was a homerun.

#13 ·
What's up with this?

From August, 2010 Automobile magazine:
1. Weight w/Hemi: 5,210 (about the same as our Commander!:stickpoke:).
2. Weight with V6: 4,850.
3. QT1: fixes torque split 48% front, 52% rear.
4. QT2: 2-speed active transfer case (bare minimum for any serious offroading) varies torque from 100% rear (2wd?:eyemouth:) to a 50/50 split.
5. QD2: adds electronically controlled limited-slip rear axle differential (where's the front?).:icon_confused:

#14 ·
Four wheel drive systems

Quadra Trac I has full-time four-wheel drive without controls. This light-weight single-speed case is proven and efficient.
Quadra Trac II has a two-speed transfer case and uses Throttle Anticipate to sense quick movement in the throttle from a stop and maximizes traction before slippage occurs. When tire slippage is detected, all available torque can be routed to the axle with the most traction.
Quadra Drive II has a rear (and rumored front in the future) Electronic Limited-Slip Differential which detects tire slip and sends torque to tires with traction. As with Quadra Tac II, in some cases, the Jeep will anticipate low traction and proactively limit or eliminate slip.

I just read this information in an email from Jeep to the dealership. So it is true just the rear for now on QD2

#15 ·
When I first saw the pics of the new gen Grand Cherokee, I thought is was terrible looking. Saw and test drove one this weekend, and have to say I am diggin it.... Much crisper and cleaner looking than in the pics, great driving dynamics, a great new engine. Very impressive. I wont buy one, have the commander for life, but is definitely an improvement over the current model. As far as off road mods, well, the aftermarket and ingenuity will fix that, always does.

I do wish they would do or offer a retro type model, less electronic gizmos, and just old school gears and lsd's/lockers, non traction control, manual windows, a light weight true TRAIL Cherokee. Not the whole line of course, but make it an option for purists.

#16 ·
#17 ·
#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.