Jeep Commander Forum banner

Air ram for CAI?

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Paul Holmes 
#1 ·
I came across this...

http://www.airram.com/product.php?categoryid=646&productid=11

and thought what a great product for our Commander! I noticed with my CAI there is a big gap behind the grill, where the stock air inlet was, which is allowing most of the oncoming air towards the engine and not the CAI.

Another thought, this scoop will allow more water to the filter which could cause damage to the engine?

Waste of time and money?

#3 ·
it's an interesting idea. getting completely fresh cooler air may help with power. especially if its being forced in (like highway driving) as well as drawing cooler air more efficiently in stop and go traffic (a place sometimes CAI's lose their efficiency). does anyone know if it would fit the xk? i doubt the water would be too big a problem because the stock air inlet had that as well and the filter had less surface area then anyway.

if anyone things im wrong please call me on it, im just speculating.

thanks

#4 ·
If I remember correctly the stock unit sucked the air from underneath a plastic shroud. I would think the water never had a chance reaching the filter with the stock setup.

Maybe we can modify our stock inlet like Cico7 mentioned. Now I just have to dig out the stock setup :(.

#5 ·
yea, mines sitting in my garage too because i was nervous about getting rid of it in case of some malfunction with the CAI....and i feel better about mods if i can always turn back to stock. if you try anything let me know, my old airbox is 3 hours away back home but if something you try works I'll be planning to do it over thanksgiving.

#8 ·
My aFe Stage 2 utilizes the lower half of the stock air box. I took the rubber flap off of the front of the intake, to allow for more air flow. So all of the cold air through this intake is directed directly to the filter, and not the engine bay. I already have the ram air they are selling, and I didn't even know it. :eyemouth:

#9 ·
i had this scoop on the dodge ram i traded in for my commander. i didn't really notice any difference with or without it. i didnt have time to install my CAI (i actually still have it sitting in the garage lol) maybe with a CAI it would amplify the effects? made no difference for me though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.