Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Confirmed by Marchionne - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
JeepCommander.com News Jeep Commander News and Site news go in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Points: 3,962, Level: 40 Points: 3,962, Level: 40 Points: 3,962, Level: 40
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Confirmed by Marchionne

The Jeep Grand Cherokee will once again be offered with a diesel powerplant says Fiat/Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne. Jeep cut the diesel option from its flagship SUV when it introduced the current generation model and Jeep has been officially quiet on its return – until Marchionne's comments now. An exact date for the new diesel model's introduction was not revealed, but Marchionne did say it would arrive before 2013.

The new diesel powerplant will be the same 3.0-liter turbo V6 offered in Europe, with 237-hp and 406 lb-ft of torque. Compared to the old diesel, fuel economy is up 19 percent while the total tow rating would lead the Grand Cherokee pack at 7,700 lbs.

More: Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel Confirmed by Marchionne on AutoGuide.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:21 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
AWESOME!!!!! That just sold me on a new Jeep GC when the diesel arrives! Hopefully they'll put a six or eight speed transmission in it and market it properly.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-15-2011, 08:58 PM
Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

Awesome. I can't wait for the 7 seater with a diesel power plant.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

yes diesels are sweet you can hardly hear em running

2006 jeep commander many mods.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Man i'd kill for a diesel in my XK.

It not just peak torque... its a much flatter torque curve. So you're actually getting the power at usable RPM's. Not to mention efficiency.

-Matt
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

the torque curve is perfect for wheeling the fuel economy is awesome and you can get gas if you travel outside the USA with it no problem. The diesel not in a wrangle is still one of those great mysteries of life....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:18 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

My wife and I were talking while we were at a local truck show today... and we basically came to the conclusion that (when the kids are old enough) we're going to sell her Liberty for a 4 door wrangler. The Commander will be the "his" vehicle (me and our son) and the Wranlger will be the "hers" vehicle (her and our daughter). That would make for some sweet family wheeling trips.

Now if they offer a 3.0 CRD in a 4door wrangler in about 3-4 years... i'll be the first one to drive it off the lot!

-Matt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,277, Level: 100 Points: 59,277, Level: 100 Points: 59,277, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL View Post
the torque curve is perfect for wheeling the fuel economy is awesome and you can get gas if you travel outside the USA with it no problem. The diesel not in a wrangle is still one of those great mysteries of life....
If you put "diesel wrangler" in the search on youtube you will find a lot of them.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2011, 09:26 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
If you put "diesel wrangler" in the search on youtube you will find a lot of them.
I've seen them but you can't get them from the factory and that's what confuses me. It's suppose to be the ultimate off road vehicle but you can't get one with a engine that produces sick amounts of torque at 2,000 RPM's. Makes no sense to me..

Stop by and like the page

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-17-2011, 11:00 AM
Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
I wonder if the Grand Cherokee diesel engine will be offered in the new Grand Wagoneer (GW) scheduled for 2013. Speaking of the GW, I was at my dealership for some warranty work last Thursday and I happened to park next to a Durango Citadel. I started eyeballing the XK and the Durango as they sat side-by-side and it was hard to see much difference in the dimensions. The only thing I noticed is that the Durango sheet metal has a rounder shape, a la GM SUVs. If the GW is going to be Durango based, we're basically going to get a reincarnated XK in a different suit. I guess the experiment of designing the Commander along the Cherokee lines didn't work out for Chrysler as planned, so now they'll dust-off the GW name plate and body lines. I love the Cherokee (drove one for 13 trouble-free years) and I really love the GW. In my case, it's a win-win; however, IMO Jeep needs a larger vehicle than the XK/Durango. I know it would be hard to trail-rate, but if they managed with the previous GW, they should manage now. I'd like to see something slightly smaller than a Tahoe, with a diesel.

2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander News & Polls > JeepCommander.com News

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in