Jeep Commander Forum banner

Guard Dog Tires

5K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  VegasUnderworld 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys do you guys think this tires will fit in stock rims with a 2inch lift I don't have the lift yet but once I get it I think this tires would look nice:

https://www.treadwright.com/p-98-245-75r17-guard-dog-m-t-e.aspx

Based on the tire description what do you guys think? Since it states the tire diameter is: 32.25" Size: 245 75R17 Not going to put all the info since I included the link. Also if I am not allowed to put links sorry in advance. :blueblob:

"By the way don't this tires look cool!!!"

#2 ·
I've been contemplating retreads for several years with treadwright. I've seen great reviews and heard horror stories. I'm running that size with my 2" lift now and I was hoping I could go to 265/70/17 but I'm unsure if it'll fit.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#4 ·
Sorry I misspoke I have 245's. I did research and read 265's will fit but you'll have rubbing on the pinch weld so you'll need to fix that. Ill be doing the same tread from treadwright when I need new tires in 265's though. My buddy who owns a wheel shop said 265's will fit also

Edit: thought you were looking at 265's. trying to multi task and I'm failing!! Yes I have 245's no rubbing at all. No spacers

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#8 ·
I've been running a set of these--I have a thread around somewhere.

However I recently had one begin coming apart on a road trip to bear lake. Of course it happened in the middle of nowhere WY, and I did have a spare (though it took forever to fill and I tried to kill the battery).

Not a bad tire, but be aware that they can come apart--necessitating purchasing 4 new tires with the awd system we have.

#10 ·
If you get 5, make sure you rotate them all--even the spare. Or it could be so far off at some point as to cause issues if you use it.

#11 ·
I have bought from treadwright with no issues, and the size sound fit with no rubbing.

Hey guys do you guys think this tires will fit in stock rims with a 2inch lift I don't have the lift yet but once I get it I think this tires would look nice:

https://www.treadwright.com/p-98-245-75r17-guard-dog-m-t-e.aspxfast-cars

Based on the tire description what do you guys think? Since it states the tire diameter is: 32.25" Size: 245 75R17 Not going to put all the info since I included the link. Also if I am not allowed to put links sorry in advance. :blueblob:

"By the way don't this tires look cool!!!"

#13 ·
I've run Treadwrights for years on several vehicles without a single issue and I really beat them up. This is the first time I've used them on a Commander. The other vehicles have been Wranglers and those tires were tested under far worse conditions than our Commanders will ever be.

It took me over a year to finally try a set. I believe the company was called HiTech back then. There are so many people that have strong opinions about them.

The ones that say they would never get them site all the tire scraps on the highways as proof of poor safety and quality. I think many are confusing retreads with recaps. Different animals. I wouldn't used a recap that is just glued on either.

Something that did impress me about Treadwright is they have less than a 2% failure rate. Some new tires are slightly above that. A new tire can fail with factory defects. What I think is happening is the retreads are being used after the initial tread life. Any factory defects would have been weeded out.

My only complaint about my current set that I just mounted this week was the tire was orginally made in 2009. I would have preferred a newer carcass. I did order E-rated tires so the ride is stiffer, but I wanted a stiffer sidewall.

Here is a comparison over stock.
Warden 265-70-17

Attachments

#14 ·
I'm confused as to why someone would want to run retreads? Is it just because they are less expensive??

#15 ·
About a third the cost, so yes. I know, that whole safety thing and safety is worth more. Heard all that before. I can only speak by experience with Treadwright. I've seen many of their tires running on Baja and KOH with a perfect service record. I've never had a blow out on them, but I have with brand new tires.

Just so people won't think it's the simple recap glue process, here's how they build a tire:

Here's how they cure a tire:

You might notice it's the same process as building new, but on a used tire. New would be my first choice too, but when cost matters, it's not a bad choice.

#16 ·
I dont know. I guess I just see things differently then others. I'll stick with my MT/R's with Kevlar

#17 ·
Yeah, as I mentioned, some people have strong feelings against them. If it makes you feel safer, by all means, be safe.

Here's how I got my first set. I'm heavy into rock crawling Wranglers. Many of the trails I use are covered with sharp chip rock from mines. Punctures and cuts are common. Many tire companies won't honor a warranty when used offroad even if they advertise it as an offroad tire. At best, they offer a prorated warranty and not a replacement.

After having yet another $300+ tire cut on chip rock, I gave them a try. They came with a 2 year warranty that I've never had to test. From what I've read, they've been more than fair honoring warranties of others. Of all the sets, I think I average about 40K miles and that's with constant abuse. If I could spend about a third and get the same lasting performance, it just made sense.

Most people here, even those with beautifully lifted Commanders, will rarely if ever see a trail that will truly test an offroad tire. I use them because I am on harsh trail conditions often. I expect cuts so I consider replacement costs into the purchase.

Unless you expect to destroy tires often, I'd probably stick with new too.

#18 ·
I take the Commander to Rausch Creek Off Road Park where there also is nothing but sharp rocks that slice your sidewalls. And thats the reason why I purchased the MT/R's with Kevlar. Several time while there, forum members had their tires sliced while going through mud/water holes due to the sharp rocks inside. I followed right behind them with no issues.

#19 · (Edited)
The MT/R's are fine tires. I've never had an issue with them either.

When it's your time to get cut, it's your time. It happens to the best and worst. A few months ago, a friend of mine exploded his foot open on a discarded blasting cap in a mine. He stepped right on my footprint. It was just his time.

Also, that comment I made about most Commanders not seeing offroad time wasn't directed at you. I wasn't at all challenging the masculinity of your Commander.

#20 · (Edited)
Honestly I didn't even see that comment. Only read the first two paragraphs. Not to many people on this forum really do that much hardcore off roading with their commanders. All the ones that do moved to the other forum.

#22 ·
What do you consider an ideal platform for serious off roading? Ive wheeled mine with rubicons on 35 and made it down every trail they did just as easy. Sometime even made it look easier and I only have the 4.7 liter with QT II and that was prior to installing my rear locker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.