Jeep Commander Forum banner

Ohio Commander Owners meet (4/6/2013)

18K views 65 replies 11 participants last post by  p@55w0rd 
#1 · (Edited)
So Ive talked to a few other members on the forums about meeting up one day at one of the only 2 legal offroad areas in ohio: Southington Offroad Park and Yankee Lake. To get to the point I am setting a date for anyone, but not limited to, in Ohio. My plan is to have everyone meet at Southington Offroad Park on Saturday, April 6th. Southington park used to be an old Jeep Skool but was bought out.

The website to the park is: http://www.southingtonoffroad.com/. Any and all information about the park can be located at this url. The difficuly levels here vary from Fully modded 4x4s to stock 4x4s, so there is something for everyone to do. So leave a post or send me a message if you are interested. More information will be posted in the following weeks.

The event is open to any vehicle not just Commanders.

#2 ·
I lived in ohio my whole life but was recently relocated to MI. Sounds like a great time. I am very interested. It's only about a 4 hour drive for me.

#3 ·
I lived in ohio my whole life but was recently relocated to MI. Sounds like a great time. I am very interested. It's only about a 4 hour drive for me.
Awsome man. im glad people are willing to travel for this :p i'll be posting more information within a few days. :icon_cheers:

#4 ·
I'll probably come to town Friday night with the wife and kids and stay at the inlaw's so it'll be a short trip on Saturday morning.

#5 · (Edited)
I'm in! SOR is only 2.5 hours for me.

BTW - Jeepskool was not bought out. Kelly (the manager of the park under Jeepskool) lost his lease on the land. The owner of the property decided to give it a go on his own. So far he has added 3-4 new trails, a new concession / restaurant cabin, and added a 400 yard shooting range. The park is great for stocker vehicles up to highly modified rock buggys. There is also camping and a shower house if you wanted to make it a weekend. Cico7, Tymac, and I have been going since 2009 and it is a blast!

#10 ·
I'm in! SOR is only 2.5 hours for me.

BTW - Jeepskool was not bought out. Kelly (the manager of the park under Jeepskool) lost his lease on the land. The owner of the property decided to give it a go on his own. So far he has added 3-4 new trails, a new concession / restaurant cabin, and added a 400 yard shooting range. The park is great for stocker vehicles up to highly modified rock buggys. There is also camping and a shower house if you wanted to make it a weekend. Cico7, Tymac, and I have been going since 2009 and it is a blast[/QUOTE]

yeah i didnt know what happened so i figured it was bought out. thanks for the info.

#6 ·
#7 ·
Hmm, 3 hours away. Tempting me, but I'm worried because my Jeep isn't lifted nor do I have any type of recovery method in place (no tow hooks, hitch, etc.)

#9 ·
i was/am in the same boat as you. i dont have a lift on my jeep but i have decent a/t tires. i purchased a tow hook for my hitch receiver and a recovery strap; both for under 150$. and im sure ill have other items by april. so you still have time to atleast buy a rear hook and strap. let me know if you want the link to the site that i bought mine from.

#8 ·
I would not venture off road without any means of recovery. I believe it is a requirement of the park BTW.

#13 ·
Additional Information

Alright, registration on Saturday, April 6th for SOR starts at 9am and ends at 4pm. The park is open until dusk. A 1 day pass is $25 per vehicle/driver and $5 per passenger. Weekend passes are $40 per vehicle/drive and $5 per passenger. If you plan on camping for the weekend you can check out their admission tab for that information: http://www.southingtonoffroad.com/Admission.html

Since this is my first meet I need some help from senior members:
1) How/What is the best way to keep track of who is coming to the meet?

2) How can we keep track of who arrives at the meet, as in how do we know everyone that said they are coming have shown up?

3) Should we aim for everyone being there between 9am and 10am?

#14 ·
I've seen on other events, every once in a while post a list of people who have said they are going. (I'm still in by the way). Everyone the list can give an update the day before on their status.

I think we shoot for meeting up at the gate at 9 and enter at 10. That'll give time for everyone to roll in register, air down, etc.

#15 ·
I've seen on other events, every once in a while post a list of people who have said they are going. (I'm still in by the way). Everyone the list can give an update the day before on their status.

I think we shoot for meeting up at the gate at 9 and enter at 10. That'll give time for everyone to roll in register, air down, etc.
Sounds good to me. Im guessing the park is open rain or shine? More rain = more mud. more mud = more fun

#16 ·
I'm in but I will be driving my new (to me) trail rig.

#22 ·
Thinking Friday night if they are open. Yes I would like to camp.

#23 ·
alright since we are only 2 weeks away i wana know how many people think they will be attending. so quote this post and let me know if you are going and what kind of vehicle you will be driving so we can look out for everyone to show up at SOR. thanks.

#26 ·
I will be there with my WJ.

#27 ·
just so everyone knows, try to be at the gates around 9am. this will give everyone enough time to register, pay, and air down. we will be entering roughly around 10am. Park closes at dusk which is probably around 7:30-8ish. Looking forward to meeting everyone and checking out everyone's rides. :icon_biggrin::boink:

#28 ·
So who is still going? I am heading up on Saturday morning from Columbus with my friend who is trailering a CJ7.

#29 ·
if everyone that posted so far is going, we will have like 7 vehicles. thats including your friend with the cj7 and my friend with an f-150. i have 3 other passengers coming with me. and i am going up on saturday morning aswell. its only an hour drive for me

#34 · (Edited)
Well I got a chance to see a couple of you guys out there and had a ton of fun! I see some of you were not warned about the "Backwoods Trail". You need a minimum of 33's and 4" or 33's and 2" with a winch if you are heading back there!

More pics:

http://s285.photobucket.com/user/jeepxk/library/Southington Off Road April 2013?page=1

Edit: Love that the driver in this picture was wearing "kaki" pants and dressed up like there was no mud on the property... :8:

#35 ·
well i got a chance to see a couple of you guys out there and had a ton of fun! I see some of you were not warned about the "backwoods trail". You need a minimum of 33's and 4" or 33's and 2" with a winch if you are heading back there.:8:
some of us? Fml lol

#36 ·
I have alot of pictures and several videos that i will be uploading later today and next week. had a great time, besides getting stuck twice :p deffinately need a lift and bigger tires haha

#37 ·
Who wore the Kaki's?

#42 ·
I had a blast. It was a great weekend despite having to watch Adam go snorkeling under his front bumper to get the recover strap attached. It was great meeting you guys and I am definitely up for it again this summer.

Here are some picture's:

No problem on the "Backwoods Trail".

Stuffing it in the sand...

Taking a break on the Upper Rim. Left to right: limitedXK (Mike), FLYCAV (Shawn), ComandA.R. (Adam).

Another photo opp at the on the quarry floor.

#43 ·
A few more pics.

Video of Adam gettting stuck in a puddle. :devil:

Adam after going for a swim. It was the warmest day of the year so far but still too cool for swimming in my opinion. You are hardcore Adam.

Mike in 5 wheel drive. All wheels on the ground including his spare.

Some more pics on the trail:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.