How to replace air filter - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

How to replace air filter

I enjoy my Commander but do not do much service myself. It is a 4.7 V8 2006 and I cannot figure how to get the thing open to drop in the air filter. Sorry for the stupid question but I can't figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:20 PM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Don't worry about it, there are NO stupid questions, just stupid answers sometimes. I have the V6 , not V8, but usually there are a couple of clasps that you flip up and then probably tabs on the other side. Undo the clasps and lift the cover up and off. Someone with the 4.7 needs to chime in though to make sure.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1970 View Post
Don't worry about it, there are NO stupid questions, just stupid answers sometimes. I have the V6 , not V8, but usually there are a couple of clasps that you flip up and then probably tabs on the other side. Undo the clasps and lift the cover up and off. Someone with the 4.7 needs to chime in though to make sure.
You are correct. The clasps are located right behind the passenger side headlight.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:50 PM
STP
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%

I have the hemi and I just did my air filter myself for the first time a couple weeks ago. I've done it a lot on other cars and the Jeep was very easy by comparison.

As described above, the front of the cover is held on with clips that you open up. Unlike some other cars where you pry them off, these kind of open up like latch on a piece of luggage. The back of the lid has tabs (no clips) to hold it in place. Once the clips are off, lift the front edge up and the back edge acts like a hinge. It opens right up like taking the lid off a box.

I also took off the large rubber air hose by loosening the hose clamp because that's on necessary step on on my other (non Chrysler) cars to get enough room to replace the filter. It looked like I might have been able to do the filter change on the Jeep without this step. Not sure if its necessary on the Jeep but if you feel you don't have enough room, removing the hose lets you get the air box lid totally out of the way and is really easy to do.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26 Points: 1,936, Level: 26
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Got it!

Thanks for the help - the replacement was way past due and I am driving Nashville to Atlanta tomorrow and back on Friday. This may save me a bit of gas and wear and tear.
Thanks again!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

there is no clips on filter box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Tags
air filter replacement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in