wheel well liner replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

wheel well liner replacement

I am trying to replace my starter on my 2006 commander (HEMI). I have disconnected the drive shaft, and I am trying to get the wheel well liner off so I can get to the wires. How do you remove all of these plastic rivets that are holding on the liner? I can not figure it out.

thanks,

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63 Points: 9,018, Level: 63
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%

Not sure. If they are like the ones that hold the mudflaps on you have to cut them. I dont know how you would replace them. The molded mudflaps I got came with replacement screws and clips.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC-1stSgt View Post
I am trying to replace my starter on my 2006 commander (HEMI). I have disconnected the drive shaft, and I am trying to get the wheel well liner off so I can get to the wires. How do you remove all of these plastic rivets that are holding on the liner? I can not figure it out.

thanks,

Gary
You have to use a drill and drill out the center of the rivet. If you look at the plastic rivets, you will see a small circle in the middle. Use a drill bit a little larger then the size of that circle. Once the rivets are drilled out you can either pop it out with a screw driver ot pull them out with a pair of pliers. Just be careful not to scratch the paint on the flare. Then you have to replace the plastic rivets to reinstall the liner. They sell the rivets at your local Napa Auto Parts store in a box of 20 for around $7. Part # 770-2871 The dealer sells the rivets individually for like $6 a piece.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69 Points: 11,208, Level: 69

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby they also sell the tool and rivets you need. There is a thread around here on these rivets. Search "Harbor Freight".

06 Sport-4.7L with QT2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69 Points: 11,210, Level: 69

Welcome to the forum 1stSgt... Retired Gunny here... Retired last year...

Semper Fi and Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2006 Silver Jeep Commander Limited 4X4 - 5.7L Hemi, Quadra Drive II, Navigation System, Chrome Fuel Door, Sunroof, Rusty's 2" Lift Kit, Moto Metal M0950 Rims, Goodyear Silent Armor 255/70/17, Front Skid Plate, 4XGuard Belly Skid Plate, RR Supersliders, Chrome Front Tow Hooks, AEM Brute Force Intake, and WeatherTech Floorliners. See Pics
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Semper Fi
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Yeah I forgot to mention you need the rivet tool also. Its not that expensive and they sell it at napa too. I think I bought mine online from napa.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Tags
access panel , rivets , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in