Maintenence thoughts/experience - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Maintenence thoughts/experience

We discuss maintenence, schedules, fluids, etc. and with over 45 years of repairing, driving, analyzing failures and so on, I decided to share some of the conclusions I've developed.

Although doing my own work is, for the most part, enjoyable, there are some things that I've decided are enouph of a pita, and inexpensive enouph to have done by others.
For example, oil changes.
I let the dealer do them....here's why.
They send out/or email service specials which often include oil change service.
Thursday last, I had them change the oil.
I use Mobil 1 oil and this dealer has no problem with me supplying it.
As long as I buy their filter (Mopar) no issue.
So, on their coupon deal, in this case $10.00 off a 6qt oil change is $21.67 before tax/supplies.
But, because I supply the oil, the amount is further discounted by $15.96.
So, the dealer is charging me $5.71 for a filter and labor which is less than a filter alone costs.
To this I add the $28.00 the Mobil 1 cost and I now have a Mobil 1 oil change with filter for 33.71 plus tax applied to the filter only as the tax on the oil has been paid.
And, they take care of the disposal.
My primary motivation is the pita disposal can create and the added benifit of virtually paying nothing for that.
Now, while changing the oil, I said to the service manager ' motivate me into changing the transfer case oil while he has it on the rack'
He looks up his normal time charge (this dealer is $108.00 per hour) and says 'how bout $35.00 + fluid.
SOLD!
He gets to make a few bucks while it's on the rack.
So, at the dealer end I now have oil change/filter, transfer case oil change with 2 qts. at 12.50 a qt. (discounted that too...just because) for the princely sum of $65.71 + tax on parts.
And I'm still clean, and a real tech. (not a jiffy lube) did it, and Jeep has record of maintenence in their database.

The moral here is, use those coupons, take advantage of the deals, build a relationship with your dealer, so you can ask for those 'deals' while it's on the rack.
Makes the ownership experience a positive experience.
Plus, when your in a vehicular bind, the dealer remembers who gets their service where and not what you payed for it.

So much for recent experience.
Over the years I've learned to modify the service intervals based on my specific driving habits.
You should too....saves you money and aggravation in the long run.

I use a combination of the A and B schedules and you can too.

Oil changes should be done by time or mileage, whichever applies to you.
I change oil every 4 months or 3000 miles, whichever occurs first.
With Mobil 1 this is WAAAAY to often, but it makes me happy.
For me, January, May, September is usually the interval and if I go over mileage it is because I was on a trip which is the easiest situation for oil to be operated under.
The manual does not vary regarding transfer case service...it's 30000 miles so I will stick to that.
The 4.7 calls for plugs at 30k.
I will be there soon but I will install double platinum Champions with no intention of seeing them again till 100k or more.
This is an example of modifying the schedule as it does not take into account a upgraded component, just like it doesn't account for synthetic oil.
The trans service is called for at 60k....if schedule B fits but calls for no service EVER if schedule A applies.
I think 60k is a bit long, NEVER is way too long.
I will use a 50k service schedule, again a modification, but I've never seen a trans unhappy it was serviced too soon (or at all)
Besides, it's easy to remember, just like my oil change schedule.
Differental service is a tough one....I've never owned a vehicle that called for such frequent fluid changes if schedule B is followed but NEVER if schedule A applies.
Since I don't tow anything that has weight to speak of, and so far only twice in 28k miles, I've decided to follow the industry standard of 50k differental service intervals.
HOWEVER, if I had QD II I would not vary from that 15k interval regardless of my usage.
There are too many complex components in there dependent on clean lubricant.
So, in each case, you are modifying the maintenece schedule to fit your driving habits or protect your investment.

Next time you're bored, or not, list the various services called for and determine if they should be adjusted to better fit your needs.
The schedule is meant to be a guidline for the most part, not necessarily a rulebook.

You may find you can save some dough or save yourself from needless preventable expense if you create your own schedule based on those guidlines.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by robby; 01-18-2010 at 06:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Points: 37,431, Level: 100 Points: 37,431, Level: 100 Points: 37,431, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2009
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 140,000
Excellent insight, Rob! Thank you for sharing!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Sounds like a volunteer for another "ask the expert" thread.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

From the standpoint of mechanical questions I can provide fairly accurate suggestions considering we are only working with the written word.
The suggestions given are based on past experience and, regardless of the manufacturer, generally would apply to any motor vehicle, not just Jeep.
Some of my answers are endemic to our vehicles but, thats only because I have one to look at.

From the standpoint of electronics, because they are for the most part vehicle specific, I usually respond in generalities.
Since I am not a brand specific mechanic, I can't possibly know every manufacturers approach to how they've chosen to direct electrons.

I think the term 'expert' as applies to one individual regarding vehicles is not possible.
There are too many sub-systems in these gasoline powered computer transporters to ever allow anyone to become 'expert'

This forum has many people who have focused on certain areas of the Commander and are far better versed than I to answer questions related to those areas.

So, I really don't think 'expert' would apply to me.
But I do think the term applys to all of us on the forum with a mechanical/electrical/vehicular background.
As a group, I really don't recall a single instance where the forum was unable to help a member resolve a concern, and that experience has been a lot of fun for me to watch and participate in.

So, not a 'expert' but willing to make a well educated suggestion will be just fine, thanks.

I guess you could create a thread that says 'Ask the brain trust questions' but I think, as a group, we are already doing that.

Sorry for rambling on,
Rob

|
|
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 150000
Very good thread which I didn't notice before. Thanks Rob.

For me I rather change the engine oil every 2300 miles instead of 3k.

Transmission fluid and both filters every 25k miles

Diffs every 15K miles for ELSD equipped axles.

Transfer case oil every 25 k miles

In my area where its so dusty I used to change the Air-filter very often almost every two engine oil changes. Now I have K&N replacement filter and I'm not sure how often I should wash it !!

Second Jeep Commander, Current
2007 XH (International model), Green Metallic, Ltd, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II
Spidertax 1.5" wheel spacer, K&N replacement filter
OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Ahmed,
That is a good example of modifying the suggested maitainence intervals to better suit your usage and takes into account the environment the vehicle is operated in.

Rob

|
|
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100 Points: 41,300, Level: 100
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%

Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
I have had the pleasure of meeting Robby in person. I have been telling you guys that he knows what he is talking about for awhile.

If I see a post by Robby, I always read it and pay attention to his advise.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Huey,

I try to provide as much useful info as I can.

Rob

|
|
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 03:58 AM
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

Model year: 2007
4WD
Current Mileage: 150000
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueypilotvn View Post
if i see a post by robby, i always read it and pay attention to his advise.
x2 .......

Second Jeep Commander, Current
2007 XH (International model), Green Metallic, Ltd, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II
Spidertax 1.5" wheel spacer, K&N replacement filter
OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:53 AM
Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45 Points: 4,992, Level: 45
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Very nice Robby. I like the idea of changing the intervals to suit your personal driving habits and conditions. We just went to the Outer Banks of N.C. and since I knew that I was going to be doing a lot of beach driving ( about 15 miles a day average ) I took a new air filter with me. When we left the beach to come home we stopped about ten miles away for breakfast. I took five minutes and popped the new filter in. You could see and hear the sand fall to the ground from the filter. I bet most of the folks down there on vacation never even thought of this and would just wait till their vehicle was in for maintainance, if ever, to change the air filter.

American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in