Heater/Air Conditioning Help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Heater/Air Conditioning Help

A mouse has crawled inside my heater and has eaten away at the wiring. I would like to try and replace this myself, since the dealer quoted me $650 for repairing this job.
Any ideas on how I access this part of my car? Has this happened to anyone else?
Also, I need to replace a seat buckle in my third row. Any tips on that as well?
Other than that, I still love my 5.7L 2006 Jeep Commander HEMI.. it is an awesome machine!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:33 AM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmastersm09 View Post
A mouse has crawled inside my heater and has eaten away at the wiring.
Literally?! What wiring is it? Some wire harnesses are easily replaced (ie. tail lights), but some are more integrated in the system and could be a pita (and well worth the money for someone else to do). Pics are always helpful/enjoyed here. Did the dealer write the part number on your estimate? This would tell that wire harness it is, and be a clue to its difficulty level. What was the quoted labor charge for the job?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%

Crazy, huh? I went out to the mechanic and saw it for my self.. with the glove compartment box removed, he showed me where the mouse had chewed, I even saw mouse droppings and a crumpled up Hershey's Kiss. Who knew mice like cheese? (Must have been a female mouse!)
This is what the invoice stated; "Inspected heater housing and blower motor housing, found debris and pieces of heater housing blend air door gear with rodent reces, further inspection found where rodent chewed gear free from door and housing. Need to replace heater houseing and blend air door assembly. $599 for parts and labor."
I really would like to save some $$ here .. thanks for any input!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 12:47 PM
Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71 Points: 11,907, Level: 71
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

Well, I have not done this personally, but the fact that it doesn't seem to include any wire harness replacement makes me think its more doable. I'd start by looking for the replacement parts- if they wind up costing you $499 then maybe its worth the extra 20% for him to do it. If you can source parts cheap then I'd start poking around the space you will need to disassemble and analyze the potential procedures. If you don't already have part numbers I would call the dealership and have them look them up, then start Googling for price comparisons. Best of luck to you and keep us posted!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmastersm09 View Post
Crazy, huh? I went out to the mechanic and saw it for my self.. with the glove compartment box removed, he showed me where the mouse had chewed, I even saw mouse droppings and a crumpled up Hershey's Kiss. Who knew mice like cheese? (Must have been a female mouse!)
This is what the invoice stated; "Inspected heater housing and blower motor housing, found debris and pieces of heater housing blend air door gear with rodent reces, further inspection found where rodent chewed gear free from door and housing. Need to replace heater houseing and blend air door assembly. $599 for parts and labor."
I really would like to save some $$ here .. thanks for any input!
OK my friend, here is some input.
I believe you will find this is a insurance claim under comprehensive.
That is, if you have a major company and weren't conned into a $500.00 deductable on comp. claims.
This is a evil HVAC system to repair so money could be well spent.
One wrong wire in the wrong spot and.....poof! A electrical something has shorted and it really is impossible to get the smoke back in the box.

If you are paying, you may want to negotiate a bit or shop around.

Good luck,
Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in