How To: Spark Plug Change - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,615, Level: 23 Points: 1,615, Level: 23 Points: 1,615, Level: 23
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

How To: Spark Plug Change

I aplogize in advance that this is aimed at the not very mechanical crowd so that they might save a few dollars and appreciate thier ride even more.

Takes about an hour or more - Thanks for the heads up EburgJeep forgot who i was writing for! Edited by albertschmitz

Tools Needed:
Anti Sieze Compound
Good Plug Gapping Tool
Pliers - You never know
Straight Pick - helps with plug connections
1/4 Drive Ratchet with 3 " extension and Deep #10 socket
#10 ratcheting Combination wrench
3/8 Drive ratchet with 6" extension and 5/8 spark plug socket - does not need to be a swivel socket
5/16 nutdriver - for the 3 clamps - intake hose and behind the airbox attached to the throttle body.

View from the front - I always start on the Passenger side - usually toughest and takes the longest. Makes you appreciate the drivers side

Loosen clamp closest to the main airbox

And then by the air filter box

Remove hose

Locate and unclip the plug for the IAT on the main airbox passenger side

Remove bolt from the passenger side main airbox

1/4 drive with the #10 socket

And then the Drivers Side

same 1/4 drive and #10

2008 Red Rock Limited

Last edited by albertschmitz; 05-30-2010 at 07:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

And the clamp behind the main airbox attached to the throttle body

Now lift the front of the main airbox a bit and pull forward, if it has not been off before it will be a little tight.

You will now see the 6 or 8 coil on plug modules that need to be removed for access to the plugs - Blow them and the surrounding area off with compressed air so as not to get any debris in the cylinders when the plugs are removed.

Installed

Lifted out

They will lift up - a little effort here but no tools other than hands, try to come up straight. The passenger side rear one will require that you ease the transmission tube towards the passenger fender a bit for clearance. There is a bracket that holds a connector back there that will need to be reinstalled after the plug is finished.

Here is the connector and bracket area

The red tab will need to be slid over a small ways so that the connector can be unlatched - it is a vibration lock and you will need to make sure that you push it back when you reconnect it.

Get your plugs out and verify the gap (.044 on the 06 4.7 Liter Commander) Better to do all at once and put the protectors back on than try to remember as you are going.

Be gentle on the gaps remember they are moving in thousandths of an inch not inches.

2008 Red Rock Limited
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

As for removing the old plugs they will be in there snugly so you will need to use some force to remove them, if it seems excessive make sure that you are lefty lucying not righty tighening them!!!!!!!!!!!

Place the used plugs in a scrap piece of cardboard so that you can have a mechanic look them over to see if there are any problem areas. You want them in the same location that they came out of the engine so if there is a problem the mechanic will know what cylinder/bank to look at.

Use a box bottom 8" by 10" will suffice, to make an area for the plugs take a box cutter and slice an X for each plug and put the top in first so the electrode is facing up. Make sure you mark passenger and drivers side.

I just put the thread protectors from the new plug to the used one as they come out and mark the gap and location.

Example of a typical original plug at 91000 miles of use and normal wear.

The old ones like mine all read in the .054 to .060 range and that is normal, not good for fuel economy but normal wear and nothing to worry about.

Remove and replace the plugs one cylinder at a time and put a small amount of antisieze compound on the threads before install.

The plugs need to be tight but not cranked in place.

If you are a big person do not crank them down you will not like the bill that you will receive for the helicoil repair on the head.

Good luck and I hope that this saves you a few dollars for a necessity like, I dunno mods? accessories and you know the basics.

2008 Red Rock Limited

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

Almost forgot, reverse procedure of disassebly before starting the Commander up

2008 Red Rock Limited
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
I will make this a sticky. Nice write up.

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:59 PM
Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

Nice Post. Thanks. U mean to tell me u actually put 91,000 miles on the original plugs? WOW!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mn_Commander View Post
Nice Post. Thanks. U mean to tell me u actually put 91,000 miles on the original plugs? WOW!
Yes bone stock factory Champions in there, they will go 100,000, but the fuel economy really starts to suck in town. The coil packs can fire with enough power for larger gaps, but I would recommend highly against that. Plugs only cost 1.75 to 5.00 depending on the brand and cores. I use Denso or NGK because I have always had great luck with them in all of my cars, trucks and bikes.

2008 Red Rock Limited

Last edited by albertschmitz; 05-28-2010 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Cannot spell korektly
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

If I can make one suggestion. I saw this in another thread and I did it and was glad I did. Which is to use a compressor to blow out all the dust a debris before removing the plug its self. I did it and man the stuff that came flying out of there that could of possibly slipped in while changing the plugs just suggestion. Awesome post by the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL View Post
If I can make one suggestion. I saw this in another thread and I did it and was glad I did. Which is to use a compressor to blow out all the dust a debris before removing the plug its self. I did it and man the stuff that came flying out of there that could of possibly slipped in while changing the plugs just suggestion. Awesome post by the way.
This is on the second post, I totally agree!!!

"You will now see the 6 or 8 coil on plug modules that need to be removed for access to the plugs - Blow them and the surrounding area off with compressed air so as not to get any debris in the cylinders when the plugs are removed."

2008 Red Rock Limited

Last edited by albertschmitz; 05-28-2010 at 09:20 PM. Reason: error
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20 Points: 1,321, Level: 20
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%

Unless you can crank things out on your vehicle, plan for an 1 hour or more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in