Valve adjustment/ trans questions - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,608, Level: 23 Points: 1,608, Level: 23 Points: 1,608, Level: 23
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Valve adjustment/ trans questions

Ok so I have around 93k and the valves are getting noisy. Does anyone know if the adjustments are made on the rocker or is this engine(the 4.7) have shim and bucket style? diagrams and/or a manual would be a plus.

also my trans sometimes wont kick down when accelerating up a hill or even to just increase speen on a slight grade. it acts like a missfire untill you get to 80% throttle then it kicks down. I just replaced the spark plugs so I know Im good there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

There are no provisions for valve adjustment.....there are hydraulic (HVA)pistons placed in the heads and they act as the fulcrum for the rocker arm.
The rocker arm has a roller built into the top.
The cam sits above the rocker with the rollers in constant contact.
The HVA's maintain 0 clearance.
This design, also used on the 3.7 V-6 is audible as a gentle 'click' usually quite audible in a garage or when alongside a wall.
A gentle click, as opposed to a loud 'rap' is normal.
The design is a bit noisier when hot, but almost disappears as RPM (and oil pressure) increases......harms nothing.

When you say 'acts as misfire' are you experiencing a shudder, as if really misfiring and.....what plugs were installed?
Downshifting is a function of throttle position and vacuum information as interpeted by the ECM, so more info will be required.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
There are no provisions for valve adjustment.....there are hydraulic (HVA)pistons placed in the heads and they act as the fulcrum for the rocker arm.
The rocker arm has a roller built into the top.
The cam sits above the rocker with the rollers in constant contact.
The HVA's maintain 0 clearance.
This design, also used on the 3.7 V-6 is audible as a gentle 'click' usually quite audible in a garage or when alongside a wall.
A gentle click, as opposed to a loud 'rap' is normal.
The design is a bit noisier when hot, but almost disappears as RPM (and oil pressure) increases......harms nothing.

When you say 'acts as misfire' are you experiencing a shudder, as if really misfiring and.....what plugs were installed?
Downshifting is a function of throttle position and vacuum information as interpeted by the ECM, so more info will be required.

Rob

well damn this is one rediculously noisy engine then....embarrasing at idle and stopping at lights/stop signs

as for the tranny concern the "shudder" feeling is similar to a missfire, as in it seems like the engine falls flat on its face, hesitates, then once I depress the pedal from the usual 20-30% to 80% or full throttle it will finally downshift, usually it happens right at the point where I no longer needed to accelerate and was about to lift off the throttle anyhow. (Its been awhile since I have had to diagnos a auto tranny issue by feel and ear without a scanners help) It did this before I changed the plugs as well but I went with the cheap route first. im running champion double platinums. The stock plugs that were in it, when I pulled I was shocked the jeep ran, thay had around .080 gap!

Im about to buy tires here in a week or so and I may end up having the trans flushed. I plan on towing alot next year(a car, and camper) and I dont want the trans to die on me from worn out fluid. At 93k an no maintenance log i bet the fluids never been replaced.

~Goldie

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

At my 30K service the dealer put in a heavier weigh oil. This seemed to help on my 4.7. with 93K it might be worth a try.

2008 Jeep Green Rocky Mountain 4x4 4.7L, 245/65 R17 Fortera's,
class IV tow package w/shackle, front tow hooks, remote start,
MyGig w/backup cam, bun warmers, commandview, QTII,
Rocky Road Super Sliders (now installed and tested!), no lift, full Jeep OEM skid plates,
4xGuard Belly Guard, 4xGuard front skid, Surco 50 x 70 roof rack.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Well ManVan,
Naturally, without hearing it I am hard pressed to call what you are hearing completly normal......just stating these do have a degree of audible valve noise.
They also have a degree of audible injector click and both sounds may be amplified a bit due to the aluminum heads.
However, I don't consider either sound excessive and I've heard the same light racket out of 4.6/5.4 Fords that use a very similar arrangement for actuation.

As password noted, you can experiment with a 10w30 in place of the 5w30 on this engine since it does not have MDS to contend with.

There is a reflash available that keeps the lockup torque converter from locking till 50 MPH.....you may be feeling the lazy unlock as a loooong delay.
Just a guess on my part.

The trans does not call for service till 60k if the vehicle has not been used for towing so you probably should establish a service baseline now.

Beyond the reflash that may or may not involve your VIN I haven't heard of any members present the situation you are experiencing regarding the trans.

Rob

|
|
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

I will try the oil for the valves, it needs a change here in like 200 miles. and ill ask about the trans reflash. as you call it the loooong delay is prolly what im experiencing(only because i experimented witht he auto stick and manually downshift it) and it works fine so it much be the lock up being lazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in