Is the dealer suckering me or what? Help! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Points: 8,551, Level: 62 Points: 8,551, Level: 62 Points: 8,551, Level: 62
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Is the dealer suckering me or what? Help!

i have a 2006 commander with 32,00 miles on it. I love this freakin truck but i'm scared it wont hold up. ever since i got the truck i have had instances of stalling while driving and stopping at lights. along with really low idling . i've taken the truck to get these things addresses under warranty numerous times and they could never replicated problem or fix them. Now my warranty is up!.
And just this last winter my truck would be slow to shift and then engage with a loud thump that would scare the sh!t out of me. it sometimes felt like the bottom would just fall out! then the truck would get stuck in 3rd gear and not come out. it does this every so often but it's been happening more as of late.
My airbag and engine light have also been on and off a lot and i was due for a 30K mi service so i decided to head to the Stealership to get everything checked out.

This is where i need you guys help. They called me back and told me that i needed about 13000 dollars or work done! i was shocked! Here's there diagnosis.

-They said i need the
-30 mi service, $467
-throttle body service, can't remember the exact price.
-a new pcv valve, $225
-reprogram my epc module, $115
-a new seatbelt because there is a short causing the airbag to come on. $278

I said i could'nt pay that and they gave me 15 off for some promotion that came to around 1200 something!!! Whaaat!

do i need all of these things done? I know these dealers are the evil and will try to get every penny out of you so i need your knowledge and expertise.

i'm getting the 30k mi service , but do i need a throttle body servicing or reconditioning and is it something i can do myself. I just need my engine light to go off.

They at one time reprogrammed my computer under warranty and things really never changed, still had the same issues so i don't think i should pay for it now. i'm beefing over that one.

is the pcv valve something i can do myself?

and my air bag light. can i replace the seatbelt myself?

Am i being Suckered????

Help me out please, i just want to do what's necessary.
I appreciated Your help in advance?

I'm #TheFitNewYorker...... who are you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 05:40 PM
Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60 Points: 8,022, Level: 60
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
It's always going to be cheaper to do things yourself than to pay someone else to do it, that doesn't mean you're getting suckered.

I don't even know what an EPC is. I doubt the seatbelt is the problem.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

sorry i meant PCM, the computer.

I know it cost to have someone do it, but i just want to know if the throttlecbody cleaning is necessary. i've read the throttle body can't be that bad by 32k and i can clean it my self.

is changing the pcv valve necassary a well? i never know if they are just seeing how many things they can get off on you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

If you have a paper trail addressing these problems while it was under warranty, DEMAND that they fix it now. That is a reasonable charge for the 30K service - my dealer wanted closer to 600.00 to do it. This is a must to have done. I believe the throttle body - they just squirt cleaner. My dealer has tried to get me to do this a number of times, but I just use a complete fuel system cleaner on a not so regular basis. You can change the PCV valve yourself. Did you buy new or used? If used, is there a service history?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

I would take the PCV valve out and inpect it , before replacing it. Its a dealer only part that is over $16. The design is such, that it would take alot for it to plug up. I replace a friend of mine's,his had 36,00mi. It didn't need to be done, it was clean as it could be. Their kind of a pain to get out, also. Not alot of tool access. I have one for my commander, that I haven't put in yet, after sseing my friends, I'm not in a rush to do it.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:44 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
If you have a paper trail addressing these problems while it was under warranty, DEMAND that they fix it now. That is a reasonable charge for the 30K service - my dealer wanted closer to 600.00 to do it. This is a must to have done. I believe the throttle body - they just squirt cleaner. My dealer has tried to get me to do this a number of times, but I just use a complete fuel system cleaner on a not so regular basis. You can change the PCV valve yourself. Did you buy new or used? If used, is there a service history?
Thats correct if they tried to fix it under warranty and its still broke it's should still be covered that shouldn't be an issue.

Stop by and like the page

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Everything can be done yourself! I just wanted to comment on the transmission being stuck in third. My 2006 did that once and I had to get some transmission work done. Is that listed in this price? Or did that go away? Because mine was expensive. I have about 91,000 on my 2006. I have put a little into repairs and done as much as I can myself. It sucked forking over the money but now that its done I have never been happier. I feel the opposite of you and have triple the mileage. I feel this thing will last forever... Now anyway!

'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Points: 996, Level: 16 Points: 996, Level: 16 Points: 996, Level: 16
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Exclamation Being screwed...

Having worked at a dealership for years( GM) I can tell you that the 30k service is just something that is recommended to everyone at that mileage they will recommend the same service at 60k, 90k, and smaller ones in between most of the stuff you can do yourself... it is just maint and most likely won't correct your concern. as far as the pcv I would imagine that is just something they recommend at 30k and don't see it actually fixing an issue but should be easy enough for you to do yourself. As far as the pcm reprogram just about every member on this board probably needs it unless they recently got it done... Most vehicles go 100,000 miles while missing out on 3-4 updates and honestly probably more than 1 module needs an update. When I got my Commander 3 months ago I took it too my buddy at the Jeep dealer and he updated 7 modules... When I got my 05 Grand a year ago he updated at least that many. They come out with updates all the time If they think the update will fix your concern it should be covered under warranty since you have had it in for the concern while under warranty! Good Luck.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

well that's kinda good to hear, from what i am reading on this forum you would rarely need to replace a pcv valve or even service you throttle body at 32,000 mi. not to mention that i could do them myself.

I'm definitely going to get the 30k mi service done.

Does the seatbelt thing sound right. that there is a short in my drivers side seat belt that keeps my airbag light on?
it originally started with the passenger seat. when my wife was in the truck with me the light wouldn't come on. and sometimes i would push on the seat like someone was sitting and it would go off. even if i leave the passenger seat belt connected it would sometimes turn the light off. within the last 2 months it's just been on steadily.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

i originally declined the service at the dealer because i didn't believe them and wanted to research it first. they told me that my air filter was never changed and that i still had the original and when they dropped the pan it fell out into peices!!! when i picked up the truck it was worse than ever because i guess all those peices of the filter got sucked up into it when they put it back together. now it stutters and shifts really rough. i was scared to drive it and brought it back to the dealer where it is now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in