Check Engine Light - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1 Points: 34, Level: 1
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Check Engine Light

Hey guys. Im new to the forums but have used some information from here in the past.

My question is the "check engine light" came on in my jeep today. Then there was a message that said "check park assist".

Is there something wrong with my engine or with the park assist?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59 Points: 7,842, Level: 59
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 33000
Too little info to guess.

There should be a code (like P0420) displayed.
Let us know what that is.
Is your Park Assist working?
Test it by having someone help you back up to a wall. When you get to 12", all the lights should light up and the tone sound.
Or is it alerting all the time?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:41 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Sounds like more then one problem going on. Do you happen to know the DTC code for the check engine light. If you could get that we can steer you in the right direction. Any local auto parts store should be able to scan it for you and tell you the DTC code for why the check engine light came on.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the info. The park assist is working fine.

this morning the temp dropped drastically and the check tire pressure light came on. When i filled all tires up to the proper level the tire light went off. then after letting the car **** for an hour or so the check engine light went off.

Im not sure what a DTC code is but i am gonna stop by my local auto store tomorrow and get back to you guys.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Sounds good....let us know what they say.

BTW what swear word did you write in the last post???? lol
Couldnt figure out which one would fit in that sentence. Unless you meant to write sit and accidently added an "H".

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

LOL! I must of accidentally added an h!! wow. i am not trying to get banned on my first post!!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

ok so i finally got my jeep in to get looked at.....

They are saying that i need $1500 worth of work! They told me that there are 2 sensors bad. One of which has to do with the car shifting. They are saying that at some point the car will just stop shifting all together. There is another issue with a bad probe? my girlfriend is going to pick up the car so once I get it back i am gonna post the diagnostic test on here.

Has anyone had any issues like this?

Any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Points: 1,880, Level: 25 Points: 1,880, Level: 25 Points: 1,880, Level: 25
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Why does it seem like every single repair quote i am seeing lately for these vehicles is $1,500-$2500 freakin dollars. Do you think the dealers are jacking prices up on our trucks because they are considering them classics now? LOL

Lets see if we can save this guy about $1200. We all may need to revisit this thread someday.. Come on XK experts jump in!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 4.7 Limited 4x4, stock...
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 09:47 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Commander 07 View Post
ok so i finally got my jeep in to get looked at.....

They are saying that i need $1500 worth of work! They told me that there are 2 sensors bad. One of which has to do with the car shifting. They are saying that at some point the car will just stop shifting all together. There is another issue with a bad probe? my girlfriend is going to pick up the car so once I get it back i am gonna post the diagnostic test on here.

Has anyone had any issues like this?

Any info that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!!
Sounds Fishy to me.

Look at the Sticky's on the General Board, about Easter Eggs, it describes how you can do a "Key Dance" with the Ignition Switch and get the EVIC on the instrument cluster to read out all the trouble codes without having to take it to someone to use a scanner.

Keep in mind, this does NOT read every single possible code, but it does read out most codes, including many of the transmission codes.

In the owners manual it says to make sure to clean the 4 sensors on the rear bumper for the park assist, if they are dirty, it will NOT let the system work right. Just something to check.

Which two sensors are bad? I have a tough time believing replacing 2 sensors costs $1500. Which engine/trans/drivetrain do you have, how many miles on the vehicle?

I've replaced trans sensors in electronic trans in other vehicles, took me 45 min and never cost more than $75 to do it myself. Of course this may be different, BUT I'm suspicious, NOT even the Mercedes Benz Trans would have sensor that expensive and require that much labor that replacing them costs $1500. Most rebuilt trans costs that much.

Anotherthing to consider, how many miles on the vehicle and did you have any trans problems up till now. Some trans sensor are magnetic (Hall Effect) and will collect gunk from the trans fluid, sometimes just taking the sensor out and cleaning it will fix everything. You won't get a mechanic to do that, a dealer/mechanic has to warranty their work, they will only replace the part, NOT try to get an existing bad part working better, that bites them in the a$$ when they do that and it doesn't work out. You'd have to do it yourself.

At the very least, find someone trustworthy to give you a second opinion, this is sounding really fishy to me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

everyone on here rocks!! thanks to everyone for the input.

So, after reading the report from the dealership this is what they said.

The elelctrical diag found internal failure in TCM and shift module. with an estimate for repair being $1483 plus tax.

the jeep has 40100 miles exactly on it. it has had regular oil changes every 3000 miles. and i have never had a problem with the trans as long as i have owned it. I bought it with around 27000 miles on it.

Of course they "suggested' that i flush the trans fluid and some other what they called minor things that would of jacked the price up to almost $2500.

I am taking it to another guy tomorrow to have him look at it. he is a certifed jeep mechanic.

I will keep everyone posted on the progress.

Again thanks to everyone for the feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in