Transmission Fluid Level - Park or Neutral - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Transmission Fluid Level - Park or Neutral

The owners manual says manually go through all of the gears and then end up in Park and check the fluid. The dipstick says idle in Neutral. So which one is correct. Just dropped the pan and swapped out both filters and the filter seal. Just want to make sure I get the correct amount of fluid back in. Which do you guys recommend? Park or Neutral?

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I've always done it with a warm transmission go threw the gears check in neutral. Check it both ways whats the level difference?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Park is Neutral, except in Park a little rod or arm moves a little bit to lock the output of the trans.

BUT, you never know if that moving arm should make a difference, it shouldn't be different, but its always possible.

Check the fluid level in both modes, if its the same, thats your answer, it doesn't matter.

If the fluid level is different, haven't seen it in other vehicles, I'd go with what the FSM and Owners manual says unless you see something more credible stating the Owners Manual is wrong.

Chrysler has screwed owners in the past with incorrect information scribed on the dipstick. The infamous 41TE/A604 in the mini-vans that you had to use the new ATF+ fluid, that all came with dipsticks that said, "Use DEXRON II Fluid". Most of those trans failures came from people using Dexron instead of the ATF+ designed for this new transmission.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Just checked it in Neutral and the level it just between the two holes for "HOT". When i put it in Park and check the fluid, the fluid drops down to the half way point between where the holes are for cold and the holes for hot. So there is definately a difference between the two.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

In most automatic transmissions, if you overfill the oil, you risk the fluid level rising to the point that it will hit the rotating parts of the trans. This will cause the oil to be whipped into foam, and the foam will cause all sorts of problems if it is circulated in the transmission.

Obviously, the "Proper" level is most desirable, BUT, a little low is more desirable than to high of a fluid level. So, when it doubt, I would go with the lower level.

You mentioned the fluid level but NOT the temperature of the fluid, the guide I have heard, if you can touch the fluid on the dipstick for a moment but have to pull your hand away to keep your fingers from being burned, you use the "HOT" marks, less than that is cold (or extrapolate between the two for what is "Warm").

Considering the reputation of Chrysler to re-use dipsticks and NOT change the directions scribed on them, I'd consider the Owners Manual first, but Chrysler has had mistakes in the Owners manuals as well. Wish I could be more help, hopefully someone that can point to a source that gives you a more definitive answer as to which is correct. Till you know for sure, I would adjust fluid level using the mode that gives you the higher level, that will assure you have the lowest of the 2 possible levels and thus assure you have a lower level instead of higher, the more desirable situation.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2010, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Awsome, thanks for the help guys. When I was chacking the fluid level, the transmission was at normal operating temperature. I had it running for a little while and then took it for a drive. When I got back it was a hair low so I added a little fluid. Right now, when in Neutral its right where it needs to be on the dipstick. In park its a hair low so ill leave it at that. This way it wont get over filled.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I agree much better to be quart down then a quart over.

Stop by and like the page

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Well I drove the XK around all day yesterday and it seems to shift better then before. When I got home I checked the fluid one last time and its still right between the two holes for "hot" when in Nuetral. Good enough for me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in