Brake Bleeder Screw SIZE? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Brake Bleeder Screw SIZE?

I want to get speed bleeders for my Commander. Brake Bleeder Screws with one way check valves in them.

I can't find the size of the bleeder screws anywhere. Anyone know. It really appears they are 10mm, but are they M10-1.0 or M10-1.5?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

For the purposes of having an answer for someone that does a search:

I was able to find a reference on a Speed Bleeder Website, they list a

M10-1.0 31.35mm length

Bleeder Screw Front and Rear on the Commander.

Speed Bleeder part num SB1010S
Russell part num RUS-639630

I ordered a set from Summit, I will post an update if they fit properly or NOT.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 10:27 PM
Points: 8,276, Level: 61 Points: 8,276, Level: 61 Points: 8,276, Level: 61
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Send a message via AIM to bp73
thanks for posting your find - i just started looking for those this morning.

On my second '06 Commander - first was a Dark Khaki 4.7, I'm now in a Black 5.7 w/ RC 2", 1.25" Spacers, Custom Spectre 4" Intake w/K&N cone filter, NGK G-Power Platinum plugs, Superchips (91+ Tune), 245/70/17 Kenda Klever MT's,

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Just installed the Russell speed bleeders in my Commander, they appear to be the right size and I bled the brakes to replace all the fluid.

Well, all the fluid except the tiny amount in the ABS pump, I don't have the dealer tools to operate the ABS pump for bleeding. Shouldn't be a problem, as soon as snow comes and I can get the ABS to operate it should circulate the fluid and get the fresh fluid in the pump.

I used Castrol GTLMA, easier on the parts than conventional brake fluid, exceeds boiling temps for DOT4, BUT absorbs moisture slower than DOT3.

One note on the size of the bleeder screws; this is what I looked up.
Quote:
M10-1.0 31.35mm length

Bleeder Screw Front and Rear on the Commander.

Speed Bleeder part num SB1010S
Russell part num RUS-639630
I got the Russell speed bleeders. They are the correct threads, correct length, etc. BUT, they are NOT identical to the OEM bleeder screws, the hex head in the middle is much longer than the OEM, meaning when you bottom out the bleeder screw, the hex head for the wrench is closer to the body of the caliper.

Oddly, the hex head for the wrench on the OEM bleeders fit a 10mm wrench, while the Russel speed bleeders fit a 7/16" wrench?

For the rear calipers, this was no problem, it still cleared. But the front calipers, the hex head is scrapping the body of the caliper when it bottoms out. I am NOT 100% positive that speed bleeder sealed properly, or it bottomed out by the hex head hitting the body of the caliper.

The brakes work properly, no obvious leaks right away, but I'll keep an eye on it and if the brakes are leaking slowly I'll post again to let everyone know the russel speed bleeders do NOT fit.

Last edited by Mongo; 11-30-2010 at 09:01 AM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

How many miles do you have on your XK? Whats the reasoning behind replacing the brake fluid?

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

25k miles, I replace the brake fluid every year on my vehicles, sometimes I'll wait for 2 years if the fluid isn't darkening, which the Castrol GTLMA will go longer than that if it hasn't mixed with left over fluid in the brake system. i.e. after a couple of flushings, longer with ABS, because you can't flush it out without the dealer tools, but fluid will circulate over time as the ABS operates.

You may consider it overkill, but I have had 3 vehicles with more than 220k miles, and never had to replace anymore than pads/rotors for the brakes.

Thats why I get the speed bleeders, it takes one person 1/2 an hour to bleed the brakes and I have never gotten air in the system. Whether its overkill or NOT, $8 for a quart of Brake Fluid and 1/2 hour of my time, once a year, to keep fresh brake fluid that is less likely to boil and preserve the reliability of the brakes, I don't see the down side. Well, a little more money, because the Commander requires more than a quart of brake fluid.

It took me 1.5 Qt of Brake fluid to fully flush the system, most vehicles its right around a quart, the huge brake reserviour is a big part of it. I didn't do the ABS, but I imagine that would only be an extra couple of ounces.

Struck me kinda of funny, the Power Steering requires less than a quart, including extra to flush it out, which is 50% less then most vehicles that size, but the brakes take 50% more fluid than other vehicles it size.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-01-2010 at 07:52 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:07 AM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Makes sense. Maybe I should do a flush on mine. Im at over 70,000 miles now.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Yea, once a year is probably overkill in most cases, but IMO 3 years at the most is how long you should keep brake fluid. At least, in the sense to maintain the brake system with fluid changes, like any other system, there is a safety factor with brake fluid, but we can get into long debates about that.

It may NOT become dangerous in 3 years, i.e. it degrades and the boiling point lowers to the point you may loose brakes in some extreme circumstances, but the degraded fluid does allow rust to start to develop inside the system, lets seals start to deteriorate, etc.

There are examples of people doing mountain driving in older vehicle, never changed brake fluid, and lost brakes from boiling fluid, partly because of the old fluid that absorbed moisture and partly because of their ingorance in how to operate brakes in mountaneous terrain. Fresh brake fluid does provide you better safety, although the argument that if you boil the brake fluid, even if its old, means your NOT using the brakes right, is probably a valid one.

Brake fluid absorbs moisture right out of the air, and even if you keep the system sealed, they have proven that it will suck the moisture through the seals and even rubber of the hoses. Yes, being diligent in keeping the cap sealed on the reserviour helps, BUT, it won't prevent the brake fluid from eventually absorbing moisture and degrading over the years.

I definitely feel strongly that Brake Fluid is NOT a life of the vehicle fluid, like all the manufacturers argue, sure every year may be overkill, but 5-6 years and more than 100k on a vehicle, IMO your fool if you don't change it. If NOT for the safety of the brakes being in tip-top shape, at the very least its going to keep the brakes working better, longer just like fresh fluid changes in all the other systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in