06' with 54.3k can't find my owners manual, need maintenance help - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4,341, Level: 41 Points: 4,341, Level: 41 Points: 4,341, Level: 41
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

06' with 54.3k can't find my owners manual, need maintenance help

Getting ready to do another oil change on the XK. 06' 4.7 with 54,300 on the ticker.

I went to get the owners manual out to remind me of oil capacity. It's not in the glovebox.

Guess I took it out for something, and sat it down, but have yet to find it.

I always get Mobil 1. 6 quarts sounds right to me it's been a while (We don't drive it a ton, mostly trips or will take it to town once a week)

While I'm in there, anything I should give a once over? I vaguely remember reading the tranny/tcase are good until 60k for fluid change unless in harsh conditions.

Same thing for diffs? What about plugs? I think those should have been done by now, but I don't have the mileage chart in front of me.

It runs excellent, just did brake pads. Just wanted to verify what this interval should be, and anything I missed at a larger interval and should be checking now.

Thanks much.

----------------------
06' Black XK 4.7L 4x4 stock
79' Orange CJ7 258 30/44 4" lift, 33" BFG's, winch, skids, homemade bumpers, sliders
81' White CJ8 Scrambler, 2" lift, 30's, one owner rig
98' Chili Red TJ 2.5" lift, 31's with Rubi rims, winch, skids, she wheels it

Couple really cool old Ford trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Points: 2,796, Level: 32 Points: 2,796, Level: 32 Points: 2,796, Level: 32
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%

Here you go! Download the manual. http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/index.html. I always keep an electronic version at work and home so I can check it out when not in the garage.

Silver 06 Commander Limited w/ HEMI and QDII, 245/70/17 Firestone Destination A/T, 2" Rough Country lift
09 Buell 1125CR
Past Cars Recent to Past: 06 Prius, 02 Camaro SS, 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 01 Plymouth Prowler, 02 Dodge Dakota, 98 Toyota MR2, 96 Cavalier
Past Bikes: 05 Harley Deluxe, 03 Harley Sportster, 06 Suzuki SV650, 04 Suzuki TL1000
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Hey Thanks!!!

----------------------
79' Orange CJ7 258 30/44 4" lift, 33" BFG's, winch, skids, homemade bumpers, sliders

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

At least my 2010 Owners Manual States:
Quote:
Inspect the front and rear axle fluid, change if using your vehicle for police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing.
It doesn't state a Normal Schedule for changing axle fluid.

When I got my Commander used at 25k, I changed the axle fluid, it appeared it had been the first time it was changed.

I do NOT use my Commander for "police, taxi, fleet, off-road or frequent trailer towing", well occasional light off-roading, and often make short trips with it (which short trips is rough on a vehicle).

I figure, its worse than "normal" duty, but NOT severe duty, I stick to the severe duty schedule where its practical, but I don't think I'm going to change axle fluid every 18k miles.

I probably inspect the fluid every 18k, if I find water, bad contamination or its obviously bad, I'll change it, but if I can't find anything wrong, I plan on changing it every 36k miles. Its really NOT practical to judge a fluids condition, just by sight and smell, you need oil analysis, but yea, if a fluid is really bad, you can tell and I'll change it earlier than planned if I can see it obviously bad.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Mongo for the post.

OK, couple things. Still haven't done anything. TJ needed lovin', the CJ needed lovin', and my daughters Neon needed a massage.

So still need to do fluids.

Found my owners manual in the glovebox of the CJ.

So even though I printed that PDF, I've been reading lots of threads in this section and am more confused than not at this point.

Also I blew the mileage. It's at 57.700 now. I was off by 4,000 miles.

Gonna do the 60,000 interval.

Our Commander is a 06' 4.7L, has a low range lever, but don't see any text near the shifter area.

Is this a QT1 or QT2?

How can I tell my axles for fluid capacity? Looks like m1 75w-140 is the way to go on type.

ATF+4 for both t-case and tranny according to owners manual....right?

Coolant, should that be done now? I was thinking no.

Plugs are supposedly due too.

I'm working on my CJ tomorrow, would like to do the fluids on the XK too if anyone has any input.

----------------------

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 07:39 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

I'm a Newb to Jeep Commanders, but knowledgeable about vehicles in general, so if someone has better advice that is more familiar with Commanders or the Owners Manual (OM), I'd take their advice over mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blthomas View Post
Gonna do the 60,000 interval.

Our Commander is a 06' 4.7L, has a low range lever, but don't see any text near the shifter area.

Is this a QT1 or QT2?
It must be QTII or QDII, the QTI has the NV140 case that is single speed, the NV245 has the low range and comes with the QTII and QDII systems.

Quote:
How can I tell my axles for fluid capacity? Looks like m1 75w-140 is the way to go on type.
SYNTHETIC 75W-140, and if you have the QDII with the ELSD's, you need 4 oz of friction modifier in each axle with the fluid. How to tell if you have the ELSD? NOT sure, the ELSD is electronic, so it does have cables running to the axles to control it.

The capacities are in your OM, I remember for my 2010 that both axles add up to 1/2 oz less than 4 qts. A little more than 2 quarts for the rear (70oz?), a little less than 2 quarts for the front (57.5oz?). I bought 5 Qts figuring I would spill more than 1/2 oz, ending up NOT needing the 5th qt. It seems the front axle will trap a good 6-8oz of fluid, that you won't get out, so 4 qts should be enough, unless you spill a lot.

Quote:
ATF+4 for both t-case and tranny according to owners manual....right?
Yes, you don't need to get it from the dealer, if it says ATF+4 on the bottle it is certified to be the ATF+4 fluid, and being synthetic is part of the ATF+4 formula.

BUT, if you have the 4WD Low option, you must have the NV245 Tcase, and the NV245 Tcase is suppose to use the special Chrysler fluid. It may say ATF+4 in your OM, because I "think" Jeep switched the fluid later to help the clutch pack engage better. Double check your OM, find a TSB or get some other forum members advice firs, I'm really NOT sure on this. I have the NV140 tcase.

Quote:
Coolant, should that be done now? I was thinking no.
My 2010 Owners Manual says 100k miles or 5 years, which every comes first, an 06 MY is likely built in 2005 or early 2006, so you are darn close to hitting the 5 year limit. Because of the way extended life anti-freezes work, I've seen lots of advice to change it early, and definitely NOT late.

Quote:
Plugs are supposedly due too.
Yes, according to my 2010 Owners Manual, every 30k miles, but they don't have the 4.7L in my 2010 manual, I guess they dropped the 4.7L in 2010.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-04-2010 at 07:44 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:15 PM
Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 232,700
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
How to tell if you have the ELSD? NOT sure, the ELSD is electronic, so it does have cables running to the axles to control it.
QDII XKs have say "Quadra Drive II" under the shifter. You can also take a peek at the rear diff cover and count bolts. 10 bolts = QTII, 12 bolts = QDII

2007 Jeep Commander Overland - Steel Blue
5.7L Hemi + QDII
4" SuperLift
Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs
Caroline Driveline front drive shaft
285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx
Activated: DRLs + Tilting Mirrors
Autolite Iridiums
Cobra LX 29 LE CB with Firestik antenna
Rear fog lights
Mopar Grille Guard with Rugged Ridge HID driving lights
Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low

"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in