They Flashed my Trans I have a new Truck! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,880, Level: 25 Points: 1,880, Level: 25 Points: 1,880, Level: 25
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

They Flashed my Trans I have a new Truck!

I'll admit i was skeptical when i got my truck back from the shop yesterday and they told me they flashed the trans to fix the P0070 code. I got a chance to drive around today and wow what a difference, for a little over $160 bucks it was more than worth it.

Here are difference i noticed right off the start:

Pros
1) Cold start from overnight park. Instant reverse, no lag no delay didnt even have to wait for the truck to warm up. ITs snapped right into gear.
2) Same when shifted into drive, backed out of the driveway put in drive no delay, no lag.
3) Started her up after work today, no delay in reverse or forward like it used to, just snapped right into gear.
4) Smoother acceleration and overall better ride quality.
5) Better shift sequence through the gears and didnt get that jerky down shift when i came to a stop light.
6) Smoother ride (I dont know how, but it just seems smoother to me especially on the highway)

Cons
It seems i took a 1-2 MPG hit in city and highway. I am not sure why but the flash seems to have affected my gas mileage. I will have to monitor more to get a true impact

If any of you are having trans issues i mentioned above, get FLASHED but be warned it could steel 2 miles per gallon from you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
06 4.7 Limited 4x4, stock...

Last edited by NLAN; 12-01-2010 at 08:14 PM. Reason: fixed more freakin typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I sometimes get lag and thought that was just the way it was. Happy to know I dont have to live with it.

'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

I think it was on this board where i read that software updates are constantly coming out for vehicles and the service depts only use them if the customer comes in with a problem. Its a shame, It would be great if they could call everyone up and say, "stop by and get your software update?" or somehow push it to our vehicles over the airwaves..

I was really convinced that my symptoms were the cracked trans filter TSB, but its seems i just needed a software update, who would have thought??

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20 Points: 1,365, Level: 20
Level up: 65% Level up: 65% Level up: 65%

They charged you for that? All I do is ask for the latest programming and apparently they are obligated to give it to you for no charge b/c it is a software update, think of Service Pack II for Microsoft.....However I do ask for the "flash" while I am getting maintenace items done.

2006 4.7 Commander, QTII, Navi, Flashpaq, 2" Rough Country & 255/70R17 General Grabbers, Magna Flow S/S Cat Back.....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46 Points: 5,186, Level: 46
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%

My dealer checks for/installs all updates at each service, that is the ONLY reason a mechanic like myself will take my Jeep to a dealer to have the oil changed. Its worth the few extra bucks that I pay in labor for the oil change to get the updates
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Keep in mind this was a flash for a "check engine light" DTC code and hesitation in forward and reverse when cold complaint. This wasnt "a while i was there" give me tha latest update repair. Diagnositc fees, tax, OLF and other BS, well worth it as along as i got my moneys worth.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLAN View Post
I'll admit i was skeptical when i got my truck back from the shop yesterday and they told me they flashed the trans to fix the P0070 code. I got a chance to drive around today and wow what a difference, for a little over $160 bucks it was more than worth it.

Here are difference i noticed right off the start:

Pros
1) Cold start from overnight park. Instant reverse, no lag no delay didnt even have to wait for the truck to warm up. ITs snapped right into gear.
2) Same when shifted into drive, backed out of the driveway put in drive no delay, no lag.
3) Started her up after work today, no delay in reverse or forward like it used to, just snapped right into gear.
4) Smoother acceleration and overall better ride quality.
5) Better shift sequence through the gears and didnt get that jerky down shift when i came to a stop light.
6) Smoother ride (I dont know how, but it just seems smoother to me especially on the highway)

Cons
It seems i took a 1-2 MPG hit in city and highway. I am not sure why but the flash seems to have affected my gas mileage. I will have to monitor more to get a true impact

If any of you are having trans issues i mentioned above, get FLASHED but be warned it could steel 2 miles per gallon from you!
Last winter when the dealer removed, dismantled, inspected and reinstalled my transmission, I didn't think it was locking up correctly, as it had before they did this. So they reprogrammed it for free. I experienced everthing you say including the 2 mpg hit. Took it back and they told me to drive it until it was empty; the dealer filled it for me for free. I then drove it until it was empty so they could check my mpg: they said my 11 - 13 mpg city was "normal" when prior it was always 14 -15. I used to get 20 -22 highway, but now I get 18.5 So, I live with it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I agree, some of these things u guys are talking about would generally be free and easy but some of us have sh!tty dealers or at 90K they really cant do it for free cause its no longer under warranty BS

'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

IMO, software updates should be free, and I thought it was policy that anytime a vehicle was brought in for service, all the software updates would be done for free.

So, I can understand if you were bringing in the vehicle just to have software updates done, they would charge you $30-$50, for the labor of hooking everything up, but if you were bringing in the vehicle for an oil change, they should do the software updates for free.

BUT, that is my Opinion for good business, NOT something required by law OR required by Chrsyler corporate, I don't know what those policies are.

__________________________________________________ _____________

BTW, flashing software, disconnecting the battery for major repairs, usually dumps the voilatile memory in the Electronic Controllers, where all of the adaptive correction data is stored. When you start driving the vehicle again, it has to relearn all those adaptive correction factors again and store them, to taylor the tune of the motor and transmissions shifts.

That would explain a hit of 2mpg after servicing, BUT, that should gradually climb back up to the previous mileage over the next 100miles.

Sounds like some people are saying the 2mpg hit after flashing the trans was permanent and they still have it hundreds of miles or more down the road, without changing driving style, and if that is the case, then yea, pretty clear evidence the Flash changes something that improves driveability and reliability at the expense of Mileage.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Sounds like some people are saying the 2mpg hit after flashing the trans was permanent and they still have it hundreds of miles or more down the road, without changing driving style, and if that is the case, then yea, pretty clear evidence the Flash changes something that improves driveability and reliability at the expense of Mileage.
You are correct: at least 1,000 miles or more! Permanent, no change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in