Loud clunking noise - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,105, Level: 18 Points: 1,105, Level: 18 Points: 1,105, Level: 18
Level up: 5% Level up: 5% Level up: 5%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Loud clunking noise

Something near my back left tire makes a terrible clunking noise when I hit a bump. I have 2inch spacer so could it be from that? Just pretty unsure to what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 11:33 AM
Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65 Points: 9,601, Level: 65
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

it could be the shock

Ford F150
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Inspect the rear suspension and see if you can see anything obviously wrong. Have someone push up and down on the bumper as you inspect, see if you can spot anything. Do the same for the front, more than once I have had something wrong with front/rear suspension and it seemed like the opposite end from the drivers seat.

Check the swaybar end links and bushings as well, they wear oblong holes in them and they will make a big clunk going over bumps.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:47 AM
Points: 10,976, Level: 69 Points: 10,976, Level: 69 Points: 10,976, Level: 69
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

clunk at full stop

Im having a clunk sound coming from the rear as well but its only when coming to a complete stop and its not constantly doing it . usually I notice it in the first few miles of driving . I can recreate it putting the truck in drive or reverse and then roll a foot and hit the brake , it then feels like something comes sliding forward and clunks in the rear almost sounds like the gas tank because you can feel it clunk forward then bounce back like a " clunk clunk ",
I have checked the exhaust hangers and there all fine I checked (kicked) the spare and its tight , gas tank is tight . im guessing either brake issue or uv joint possibly ? anyone with a similar issue or idea ? Right now theres a blizzard out im going to check it out better when things clear up . thanks .

Last edited by jasmat; 12-26-2010 at 01:44 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmat View Post
Im having a clunk sound coming from the rear as well but its only when coming to a complete stop and its not constantly doing it . im guessing either brake issue or uv joint possibly ?
Bad Universal Joints and Constant Velocity Joints, even wear in the axles and differentials can cause "lash" in the drivetrain. That sounds like what you're describing, after the wheels stop, the drivetrains keeps moving a 1/2 second and then clunks as it is stopped. Same thing as you shift from forward to reverse. Can even be in the transmission. I'd check all the driveshafts, even the axles for lash, i.e. slop.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Bad Universal Joints and Constant Velocity Joints, even wear in the axles and differentials can cause "lash" in the drivetrain. That sounds like what you're describing, after the wheels stop, the drivetrains keeps moving a 1/2 second and then clunks as it is stopped. Same thing as you shift from forward to reverse. Can even be in the transmission. I'd check all the driveshafts, even the axles for lash, i.e. slop.

Will check more thoroughly when the snow melts away , I did a quick check by grabbing the driveshaft to the rear diff a month ago and it seemed ok to me . I need to look into this better and start by removing spare tire, jack etc . and then try and recreate it . I believe something is literally sliding forward slightly making a clunk and then sliding back and making a clunk . which is why I assumed it was the exhaust or gas tank because it bangs back and forth lightly under sudden brake almost fluid like as if the momentum of the vehicle is the cause .

Thanks for the info I appreciate it .and when things clear up and I discover what it is I will let yah know.

Last edited by jasmat; 12-27-2010 at 12:08 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmat View Post
...I need to look into this better and start by removing spare tire, jack etc . and then try and recreate it . I believe something is literally sliding forward slightly making a clunk and then sliding back and making a clunk . which is why I assumed it was the exhaust or gas tank because it bangs back and forth lightly under sudden brake almost fluid like as if the momentum of the vehicle is the cause .
Dumb question, have you checked the spare tire as the possible culprit, never occurred to me until you mentioned it.

The cable unwinds, slacks an inch, and thats a pretty big heavy tire swinging back and forth, bumping up on the floor.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Dumb question, have you checked the spare tire as the possible culprit, never occurred to me until you mentioned it.

The cable unwinds, slacks an inch, and thats a pretty big heavy tire swinging back and forth, bumping up on the floor.
I think I may be the one asking the dumb questions here lol , Because Im willing to bet it is the damn tire . I only gave it a shove with my foot once to see if it were loose and it moved a little not much , I was unaware that the spare uses a winch type setup , Im going to go and see if it needs to be cranked in some more .
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Points: 4,897, Level: 44 Points: 4,897, Level: 44 Points: 4,897, Level: 44
Level up: 74% Level up: 74% Level up: 74%

It could also be the front pinion bushing as well. Mine was bad for almost 3 years until the dealership I just took it to figured it out. it took 3 dealerships and almost 3 years of unacceptable service.

2007 Sport 4.7L Bought New in Dec. of 07' w45 miles. Now has 70k+ Miles & 8 pages of Repair orders-255/65/17 Nitto Crosstek's, Flowmaster 50 SUV, A/C Delco Double Platinum copper cores, AMS Oil All the way around, K&N Air Filter, Weather Tech Floor mats, Lifetime Bumper to Bumper Warranty Exp.- 2082
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMOPAR85 View Post
It could also be the front pinion bushing as well. Mine was bad for almost 3 years until the dealership I just took it to figured it out. it took 3 dealerships and almost 3 years of unacceptable service.
Thanks ill keep that in mind when I get a chance to get under there and look things over thoroughly this weekend . I got under the truck today after work but it was getting dark so I couldnt do much but I noticed theres an extra set of exhaust hangers in the rear near the axle I guess there for alternative exhaust setups .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in