Assistance determining what my Jeep is doing - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,080, Level: 17 Points: 1,080, Level: 17 Points: 1,080, Level: 17
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Assistance determining what my Jeep is doing

This morning when I was driving into work, I heard a loud click in the dash that sounded like something broke, and now there is a clicking that sounds like an arm of some sort is hitting the side plastic panel on the side of the dash, below the temp control panel area. It continued to cycle after I turned off my Jeep as well. I can't figure out what kind of small servo type motor might be located there in the center of the dash.

I tried searching within the forums, but when all the time I had to go on was clicking, motor, and dash, I got loads of results, and didn't find any that fit the bill.

I am in a 06 Limited Hemi. I mainly just want to see if this is something that is a known easy fix, or if I need to get it into the shop soon, so that it doesn't keep going all day and drain my battery, as a dead battery when it is 20 degrees outside would not be what I would call a fun day.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

When I start mine in the morning, if I turn the blend valve from cold to hot, I can hear it whirring until it completes the cycle. Since your blend valve is auto, it constantly changes by itself, so possibly the stop broke and it is just spinning. Has the operation of the system (hot, cold, etc) changed, or does the system still work as designed?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

When the sound started, I turned off my AC/Heat to see if that is what was causing it, and it continued to make the sound. I will see what it does at lunch and see if that might be it. I normally don't use the auto mode on my air, but who knows.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Assistance determining what my Jeep is doing
At the time of this post, your Jeep is sitting in the parking lot NOT moving, from the best I can tell from your post.

Sorry, its probably a bad time to be funny doing the Capt Literal routine, and you're probably NOT in the mood for it at this point either.

This happened on my Chrysler 2002 Mini-Van, and my 2010 Commander has the basically the same system, but it does sound like what your experiencing on your Commander is the same as what happened on my mini-van.

Like dhh3 was saying, on my '02 mini-van the blend doors for the heat/AC control are driven by an electric motor. There are several doors but only one motor, the motor drives all the doors by a series of plastic cams and gears. In my mini-van we had a pencil fall down the Defrost Vent into the heat/AC box. This resulted in the next time we changed the heat/AC mode, we got a loud clicking noise and then the sound of a snapping pencil. BUT the air did NOT flow properly from the vents for the mode that was selected, and everytime we changed the mode, you would get a loud clicking noise, and it never directed the air properly.

I got on the floor of the mini-van and found the motor and plastic cams/gears for the air blend doors. Sure enough, the resistance of the pencil that fell into the air blend doors had causes the plastic gears to skip several teeth and were out of sync, that resulted in the doors moving to the wrong position and some doors hitting the stops before the others and that would cause the plastic cams and gears to pop, skip teeth, etc and make loud popping noises as the motor continued to drive doors that had already hit their stops. I was able to fix it by just forcing the plastic cams and gears back to the proper positions, plastic so there was some give and skipping teeth between gears did no damage. I lubed up the gears with some white lithium grease and its worked fine ever since.

Luckily, on the mini-van the motor and gears were assesible from under the dash and laying on the floor of the vehicle, I had to pull a few trim pieces and it was a tight squeeze for my big hands, but I was able to do it. It might NOT be as easy on the Commander, I have NOT done it on a Commander. When I pulled the trim panels below the steering wheel to wire up my aftermarket gauges, I could see the motor and gears for the Heat/AC blend doors.

If the motor is still clicking away trying to drive an air blend door that is already on its stops, this is what I would try.

1st-Change the mode and temperature of the heat/ac, see if the motor then changes to a position where it does NOT keep trying to drive an air blend door that won't go there, and thus keeps spinning trying to do it and making clicking/popping noises.
2nd-Try turning off the Heat/AC with the power button.
3rd-Try killing power by pulling fuses for the heat/AC system.

Next, if the problem is like I suspect, it might be different, you have to get under the dash and resync those plastic cams and gears, you'll have to force them back to the original position. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and was able to figure out the proper positions by just observing the motor/cams/gears moving for the various modes. Basically drive the motor to one extreme, and you can pretty much figure out where everything should line up, because they should be at their extrem in that directions as well.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-07-2010 at 09:08 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2010, 07:47 PM
06h
Banned
Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Is it loud, sounds like something hitting the windsheild until you pin pointed it?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 06:34 AM Thread Starter

It looks like Mongo nailed it. It stops and starts depending on what I have the HVAC controls set to, so I hope that it warms up a tad so that I can take off the panels and see if it is going to be an easy fix.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM

At least in my mini-van, the plastic gears and cams have some bendability and give and take, so I was able to FORCE them back into sync without damaging them.

If they were metal, I would of have had to take the whole thing apart. Of course if they were metal, they probably wouldn't have skipped teeth from the resistance of a pencil and never would have skipped teeth.

The real key is if your going to be able to get access to them and fix them easily. Thats the problem with HVAC in a vehicle, sometimes you have tear the whole dash apart to fix the simpliest things.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Points: 1,076, Level: 17 Points: 1,076, Level: 17 Points: 1,076, Level: 17
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Just had this done was having the same problem. Google the part numbers you can fix it by taking out he glovebox.
Air blend Assembly
Part 68072190AA
Part 52090155AH
Part 52090474AB
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Verdict from the dealer is that it was the blend door. The motor seems to be working fine, ti is just the connector that broke. I am looking for a place to order the part to save myself the over 900 the dealer wants.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrd View Post
...looking for a place to order the part to save myself the over 900 the dealer wants...
And they wonder why people call them "Stealerships".

I fixed my mini-van with an hour contorted under the dash, it appears for Commander, its easier, but you need a $0.50 plastic piece that breaks. Which I'm sure a Stealership will try to sell to you for $35.

http://chryslerpartsdirect.com/

They are a dealer that sells their parts online at discount, seem to be the lowest priced ones, but there are several. They usually charge at least $7.95 for shipping and handling, no matter how small the package.

They are showing the part numbers that jmd425 posted as suspension parts NOT part of the air blend doors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in