Parking Brake Adjustment - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Points: 9,749, Level: 66 Points: 9,749, Level: 66 Points: 9,749, Level: 66
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Parking Brake Adjustment

I plan on buying the dealer manuals for our Jeep eventually, but would someone be willing to post the procedure for adjusting the parking/emergency brake? I want mine to engage w/a few less clicks.

Maybe it is easy enough to just describe, but the section out of the manual would be great.

TIA, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

At least on my 2010, th Parking/Emergency Brake Cable has an automatic tensioner, there is no adjustment for the cable, it does itself. Of course it may be different on earlier models.

The Parking/Emergency Brake is just a small drum brake in the hat of the rear disc brakes. (Drum-in-Hat).

Adjusting the Parking brake is just like manually adjusting drum brakes.

Only difference, it appears the access port for the star wheel is at the rear, near the 3 and 9 O'clock position, instead of the bottom of most drum brakes.

As well, you don't adjust the Drum-in-Hat Parking Brake to leave the shoes dragging slightly like regular drum brakes, once you've adjusted the shoes so that they do drag slightly, you back them off so there is no drag what-so-ever, and then a tad more after that.

If you adjust the Drum-in-Hat so that the shoes drag, they have been know to engage unintended and lock up a rear wheels while you're driving.

It's tempting to adjust the Drum-in-Hat shoes too tight, to give that real tight parking brake handle. Don't do it, I did on another Chrysler Vehicle with the same brake setup and sure enough it did suffer the unintended lock up of a rear wheel while driving, backed off the shoes the three teeth it stated in the manual for that car and it never happened again.

The Commander manual doesn't state a number for backing off the shoes, it just says to back the shoes off until there is no drag at all.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Points: 9,749, Level: 66 Points: 9,749, Level: 66 Points: 9,749, Level: 66
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
At least on my 2010, th Parking/Emergency Brake Cable has an automatic tensioner, there is no adjustment for the cable, it does itself. Of course it may be different on earlier models.

The Parking/Emergency Brake is just a small drum brake in the hat of the rear disc brakes. (Drum-in-Hat).

Adjusting the Parking brake is just like manually adjusting drum brakes.

Only difference, it appears the access port for the star wheel is at the rear, near the 3 and 9 O'clock position, instead of the bottom of most drum brakes.

As well, you don't adjust the Drum-in-Hat Parking Brake to leave the shoes dragging slightly like regular drum brakes, once you've adjusted the shoes so that they do drag slightly, you back them off so there is no drag what-so-ever, and then a tad more after that.

If you adjust the Drum-in-Hat so that the shoes drag, they have been know to engage unintended and lock up a rear wheels while you're driving.

It's tempting to adjust the Drum-in-Hat shoes too tight, to give that real tight parking brake handle. Don't do it, I did on another Chrysler Vehicle with the same brake setup and sure enough it did suffer the unintended lock up of a rear wheel while driving, backed off the shoes the three teeth it stated in the manual for that car and it never happened again.

The Commander manual doesn't state a number for backing off the shoes, it just says to back the shoes off until there is no drag at all.
Thanks for the info (and warning) Mongo. I understand the drum setup for the parking brake. I should have more clear on just wanting to know how to adjust the shoes outward. So dumb question, but which direction of the star wheel moves them outward?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 09:27 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Sorry, don't know, you've got a 50/50 shot, shoes go the wrong direction, reverse the rotation of the star wheel. Haven't done it on the Commander, but other vehicles, I've been able to peer into the opening with a flashlight and see the threads and be able to tell which direction to rotate the star wheel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in