Do you do regular service on a brand new leased vehicle - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Do you do regular service on a brand new leased vehicle

My question is, other than oil changes, is it necessary to do regular maintenance to a car before 36K miles. I can't remember what I have done with cars in the past early in the car's life. If a car doesn't make it to 36k miles, then it's probably not a very good car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballesteros View Post
My question is, other than oil changes, is it necessary to do regular maintenance to a car before 36K miles. I can't remember what I have done with cars in the past early in the car's life. If a car doesn't make it to 36k miles, then it's probably not a very good car.
Read the owners manual, there is a lot of preventative maintenance/servicing to do before 36k miles. Leasing the vehicle doesn't change that, other than you might NOT be interested in doing the preventative maintenance/service, because you don't care.

I've never leased a vehicle, BUT, I would think the lease contract would state what your requirements and responsibilities would be for Maintenance/Servicing of the vehicle.

And if I was writing the contract, I would put in it, they you had to follow the Manufacturer's recommendation in the Owner's Manual for Servicing, and keep receipts and records of that servicing, OR be accessed a penalty if you did NOT do that.

Other than Oil and Air Filters, you don't service a car to get it to last to 36k miles, yes you are right, just oil and air filters should get you to 36k miles just fine. BUT, you service a car more than Oil and Air Filters to get it to last 150k miles or more.

The lease company has a big interest in seeing the vehicle last more than 36k miles, I would think they would do something like I suggested above, to protect their interest or get reimbursed if you're NOT doing your part.

BUT, I'm only guessing.

Read the lease, call the lease company and ask them. Talk to other people that have leased vehicles from the same company.
People neglecting their vehicles are pretty common, I can't imagine you would be the first person to turn in a neglected vehicle on a lease. It comes down to what the Lease Company is going to do at the end of the lease, are they going to just take the vehicle with a cursory inspection, OR are they going to ask for the records and receipts, do a thorough a mechanical inspection and send you a bill? Nows the time to find out from someone that knows for sure, and your Lease Paper Work should have all the answers, or at the very least, point you in the right direction to get the answers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 01-09-2011 at 10:46 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 05:32 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
I don't think this is a real poster, not a Commander owner.
His comments, 1st post, referenced a "car" and no reference to Jeep or
Commander.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:10 AM

Yea, could be, it does seem the question is only about leasing arrangements and NOT a particular vehicle.

I didn't want to sound harsh, its Natural if you only have a vehicle for 36k miles, NOT to want to pay for servicing that is really to help the vehicle last past 36k miles, and will provide NO benefit to you at that moment.

But thats the thing to watch out for, you can't rule out the lease company would slam you for NOT keeping up with the recommending servicing while you had the vehicle. BUT, again, I'm guessing, it just something that makes sense to me.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 AM
Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100 Points: 34,360, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Garage
Send a message via MSN to cico7 Send a message via Skype™ to cico7
MAYBE WE should retitle the thread Leasing.....it is a good subjuect.

My experience is that as long as it is running when it comes back,
subject to tire wear, they don't look at anything....other than dents.

If you buy a manufactures auto, lease return, factory official vehicle,
watch out!! You have no idea....well maybe....but I knew guys at Chrysler
that didnt have thier vehicles serviced, at all. 30,000 no oil changes. It was
bad.

Some guys took real good care of the vehicle, others didn't.
I treated my vehicles as something the dealer would want to buy. It served
me well.

Benjamin Davis Pirtle
1990-2015
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM

Yea, I have purchased Chrysler Official Vehicle, but it only had 7k miles on it. My Commander had 20k mi on it, as nearly a year as a rental.

First vehicle, well all my vehicles, I went overkill on the preventative maintenance and its served me well, with my vehicles all lasting past the 200k mi mark. Except one, that was all short trips commuter, cheap and had been in 2 wrecks, I got sick of it, but could have kept it longer if I wanted it.

If you can do it yourself, I think overkill preventative maintenance is worth it, BUT, if your going to pay someone to do it, its probably NOT worth it. Just stick with the Manufacturer recommended service if you going to pay someone to do it for you.

So many dealers and independent shops are rip-off places now, even if they are honest, the labor costs are so high, and even an honest dealer parts and supplies have to much of a mark up, to make it cost effective, you're better off saving the money for the next car, then paying through the nose to extend the life of the current car past what the manufacturer's recommended servicing will do.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

These new guys come on board this forum with problems with their used Commander. That is why it is imperitive that when buying a used vehicle, off lease, program, etc. the buyer should demand the service record. If it is unavailable, walk away, especially with a complicated vehicle such as the Commander with all of its electronics and sofisticated drive train. My 2003 Liberty Renegade was a program vehicle: I asked for the maintenance records and the dealer provided them for me. The only thing I didn't do was take the cover off of the spare. Where the raised white letters are supposed to be was a "white wall"! They must have hit a curb. Oh well, live and learn.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
...The only thing I didn't do was take the cover off of the spare. Where the raised white letters are supposed to be was a "white wall"! They must have hit a curb. Oh well, live and learn.
Remember my first post to this forum? I got on the ground and crawled under the vehicle to check everything out at the dealership before buying.

I'm the guy that got it home and then found out it was missing the spare tire. It never occured to me, since I was concentrating on everything but the spare, while looking underneath, that a spare tire should be in that open spot at the back.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Remember my first post to this forum? I got on the ground and crawled under the vehicle to check everything out at the dealership before buying.

I'm the guy that got it home and then found out it was missing the spare tire. It never occured to me, since I was concentrating on everything but the spare, while looking underneath, that a spare tire should be in that open spot at the back.
I remember the spare story. I looked the Liberty over - the spare is bolted to the rear door. I never thought to take the cover off - in fact, I didn't take it off for a couple of months, so I was forced to buy a new tire. I won't do this again!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 01:47 PM

Luckily, my dealer came through and replaced the wheel/tire and winch with new ones for free. It was a steel wheel, but I'm NOT complaining, it will do just fine.

And its a Commander Steel Wheel, I looked it up in the catalogue and saw pictures online as well, they do exist.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in