Front Hub/Bearing Replacement - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Points: 171, Level: 3 Points: 171, Level: 3 Points: 171, Level: 3
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Front Hub/Bearing Replacement

I replaced the front hub/wheel bearing on my '06 V6 QTI over the weekend. Not an especially tough job but the cold weather and my arthiritis made it a little unpleasant.

Aside from the 36 MM socket you need to remove the axle nut, no special tools are required. The fasteners are all metric and you will need to eat your Wheaties to losen and then retighten a few of the bolts but that's about all. I happen to have a compressor and some air tools which made the lug nuts and axle nut much easier to deal with. Five lug nuts, two brake caliper bolts, three hub mounting bolts, one axle bolt and one electrical connector are all that are standing between you and a new front wheel bearing.

The unit did need a little bit of convincing to come out as it is made of steel and the steering knuckle is made of aluminum and they tend to want to stay together once they have spent some time together. Copious amounts of penetrating oil, a few whacks with a hammer and a little bit of chisel wedging and out she came with no collateral damage. When reinstalling the assembly, be absolutely certain that the brake baking plate is on in the correct position...ask me how I know.

My wheel bearing was making a noise like a small plane engine so I knew it was time to do the deed. The new hub/bearing unit came with the ABS wire which also had the factory attaching clips installed on the wire to route it away from any moving parts. I bought mine off of Ebay and paid $75 with free shipping. My local parts stores all wanted over $100 for the same part.

It's so much quieter in the thing now that I am hearing other noises that probably will need my attention.

Bat R. Orlans

The call me Daddy at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Thanks for the post. How many miles do u have on your 06? You got me wondering if mine will need it sometime soon. I'm at 61k.

Thanks

Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Points: 8,689, Level: 62 Points: 8,689, Level: 62 Points: 8,689, Level: 62
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 127,000
I had only 65,000 on my 2006 when I had to replace both my front hubs. I had a combination of problems. I went through a rash of failing wheel speed sensors as well as a failed bearings.

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L QD II.....[I]4in Super lift Supension lift, Defender Roof Rack, 285 70R17 ProComp Xtreme Mud Terrain II tires, JK wheels, Rear grab handles, polished throttle body, RCV performance CV Axles, 4X Guard belly guard, front guard, jeepinbyals upper control arms, borla cat back exhaust and LED off road bar 40" and dully D2's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Points: 171, Level: 3 Points: 171, Level: 3 Points: 171, Level: 3
Level up: 43% Level up: 43% Level up: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spigot View Post
Thanks for the post. How many miles do u have on your 06? You got me wondering if mine will need it sometime soon. I'm at 61k.

Thanks
Mine has 95,000 on it, but judging by the amount of noise it was making I would say it could have used a change a little while ago. On the flip side, I had a Grand Cherokee with 170,000 miles on it with the original hub/bearing.

Now that the really noisy one has been replaced, I can hear that the other side is coming up on being ready to replace too.

If they make noise replace them, if not, leave them alone.

Bat R. Orlans

The call me Daddy at home.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21 Points: 1,489, Level: 21
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

That's good to know. So far so good...no noise.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Blue 2006 Jeep Commander Limited, 4.7L... AFE, Flow Master 50, Jeep Slush Mats, Grab Handles, 1.5" spidertrax, RC 2", and hacked AVIC-Z120BT w/ infinity refs all around + 320GB music library. Need a basket badly! Also need new rear bumper! (dam u blind spot)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in