Brake noise - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2 Points: 150, Level: 2
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Brake noise

I have a 06 commander with 30,000 on it and i'm in Wisconsin. Over the past couple days I have been getting like a creaking or a light brake pad grab/chattering right before the commander comes to a stop. It's only when i'm coming from a slow stop not a fast abrupt stop. Could this be from salt or what I really don't know what else it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Your pads could be worn out. My wife's car did the same thing the grinding were the rear pads completely worn and the kinda warped feeling at the end of the stop can't say what that was but it went away when I changed all the pads. If your rotors are warped you would feel it at all speeds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 04:24 AM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

I was just in Green Bay and my Jeep was making weird noises in the cold. They went away. If it doesnt go away then brakes should probably be checked out. You could have salt, sand, gravel, or anything stuck between the pad and the rotor. Or brakes just need replacing.

'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Inspect the brakes and look for anything wrong, it could be anything already suggested, and likely you'll spot just doing a close inspection.

Most brake pads have "rub tabs" and are designed to give you warning the pad is worn out and needs to be replaced, and that warning is often a light grinding/chattering/squeeking noise. If you can see a little metal tab attached to the pad, touching the rotor, that is the source of the noise and the indication the pads need to be replaced, they are worn out.

If you let them wear any farther, they will likely damage the rotors and it will be a lot more expensive of a brake job.

The Commander is one of the few vehicles that the rear pads wear as fast, if NOT a little faster, than the front, so inspect the brakes at all 4 wheels.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Points: 7,518, Level: 57 Points: 7,518, Level: 57 Points: 7,518, Level: 57
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

I just had to replace the rear pads at 46000, they were almost completely worn out. I had a rear tire stem/sensor with a slow leak, when I took it to Firestone to get fixed they found the worn out pads. They wanted $174 to replace, so, after a stop at Advanced Auto, $43 and about a 1/2 hour of work at home I had them replaced. I checked the front pads and I probably have another 5000 miles or so left on them. Question, since I bought the Jeep used at 29,000 miles, do you think the fronts were replaced or do these Jeeps just wear out the rears faster?

FYI, I didn't get any noise from the rear warning me they were worn, and they were down to within a 1/32 of bare metal.

06 Red Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 "Manual QT2", RC 2" w/ Rusty's 1/4", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Wheels, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17 tires, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Shorty Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" towing receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Last edited by cmdr jim; 01-27-2011 at 02:21 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr jim View Post
I just had to replace the rear pads at 46000, they were almost completely worn out. I had a rear tire stem/sensor with a slow leak, when I took it to Firestone to get fixed they found the worn out pads. They wanted $174 to replace, so, after a stop at Advanced Auto, $43 and about a 1/2 hour of work at home I had them replaced. I checked the front pads and I probably have another 5000 miles or so left on them. Question, since I bought the Jeep used at 29,000 miles, do you think the fronts were replaced or do these Jeeps just wear out the rears faster?

FYI, I didn't get any noise from the rear warning me they were worn, and they were down to within a 1/32 of bare metal.
Seen several posts where the rear pads wore out faster than front. Most vehicles it usually the front that wear at least twice as fast as the rear pads/shoes. Might be the 50/50 weight split, required bigger rear pads, but they used off the shelf brakes for vehicles with a heavier front weight bias.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM
Points: 7,518, Level: 57 Points: 7,518, Level: 57 Points: 7,518, Level: 57
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%

Maybe it has something to do with traction control too.

06 Red Jeep Commander 3.7L V6 "Manual QT2", RC 2" w/ Rusty's 1/4", 1-1/4" Wheel Spacers, Rubicon Moab Wheels, Grabber AT2 LT265/70-17 tires, Rocky Road Supersliders, Fastman Throttle-body, K&N Cold Air Filter, JBA Shorty Headers, Front Tow Hooks, 2" towing receiver front & rear, Wired for winch front & rear, ARB Onboard Air, Trans Temp Gauge, Aux Trans Cooler, Sport Roof Crossbars, Skid Plates, RS5010 Rear Shocks, JKS 2034 Front & 2001 Rear Disconnects

Last edited by cmdr jim; 01-27-2011 at 07:56 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdr jim View Post
Maybe it has something to do with traction control too.
Definitely, at least as likely as what I already mentioned, if NOT more, it would vary how and what conditions a person drove, but the EBCS could engage the rear brakes more often than a non-EBCS car and wear them faster then other rear brakes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in