New to New Jersey - Need Service Recommendations - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
Points: 2,206, Level: 28 Points: 2,206, Level: 28 Points: 2,206, Level: 28
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

New to New Jersey - Need Service Recommendations

Just moved to NJ (Bergen County) from Arizona and I need to find a good place to service the Jeep. 70k+ miles and its time for some work - any recommendations on where I might take it in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

That's kind of ironic... I just had friends move to AZ.

I'm about an hour south of you so the dealer I go to is probably a bit far. But welcome to the state.

-Matt
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Be an informed consumer, check your owners manual and decide on exactly what you need, then comparison shop the cost to do that service. Make sure to know the correct fluids you need and insist on using those fluids if you take it to an independent shop. If they insist you need more than the manufacturer's recommended service or the price is too high, walk away.

Check the Problems/Dealers page, there are several threads of people getting ripped-off majorily by dealerships when they bring in their vehicle for service.

I have read on the Allpar.com sight that many of the Dealerships in North New Jersey, are rip-off artists that will perform all sorts of extra unneeded servicing and charge an arm and a leg. My Grandmother lives in North Jersey (by Paramus) and has been ripped off by the Ford Dealership up there for standard service. Not positive where Bergen County is, I think it is that area, just outside NYC?, if so I would be very cautious of the Dealerships there.

Sorry, NOT exactly the answer you were looking for, but I hope it helped. Antidoital, I know, but it seems to me, the denser the population the worse the Dealership. My guess, the more customers you have, the more new suckers you can pull in to replace the customers you turn off with bad service experiences, the less you have in less densely populated areas, the more you have to worry your reputation and the more fairly you have to treat the customer, because you can't afford to loose them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Points: 2,073, Level: 27 Points: 2,073, Level: 27 Points: 2,073, Level: 27
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

Send a message via Yahoo to JBenn911
Yep...right outside of NYC...And from experience, I'd stay clear of any of them on LI.. I'm quite a bit south too, and wouldn't recommend my nearest dealer to my worst enemy

2007 Hemi Limited Silver
2011 Ford Raptor
2008 Chevy 2500 Suburban (Work truck)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 AM

Sadly, a talented, honest young kid could make a killing running an underground garage to do typical servicing, because all the established shops/dealers are just so horrible. Of course he would be eventually found and and probably put in jail, judging from the attitudes in those areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81 Points: 16,293, Level: 81
Level up: 89% Level up: 89% Level up: 89%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Overland
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 232,700
Garage
Flemington Jeep has been pretty good to me, although I haven't had them do too much for me yet. I try to do as much as I can on my own. It's too far for you to come down just for service.

Welcome to Jersey!

2007 Jeep Commander Overland - Steel Blue
5.7L Hemi + QDII
4" SuperLift
Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs
Caroline Driveline front drive shaft
285/70/17 Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx
Activated: DRLs + Tilting Mirrors
Autolite Iridiums
Cobra LX 29 LE CB with Firestik antenna
Rear fog lights
Mopar Grille Guard with Rugged Ridge HID driving lights
Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low

"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%

I normally use Teterboro Jeep / Chrysler on Rt. 17. I picked up my '07 there. The service is pretty good. Not great. I always feel like the vowel in my last name helps

I'm going to go over to Rt. 46 Jeep in Little Falls today. I'll poke around and get a feeling. Even from the phone call to schedule service it seemd a professional.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 08:00 AM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Sadly, a talented, honest young kid could make a killing running an underground garage to do typical servicing, because all the established shops/dealers are just so horrible. Of course he would be eventually found and and probably put in jail, judging from the attitudes in those areas.
I've actually thought about putting some posts up on craigslist at times when cash was thin to try and pull in some extra work... but better judgement kept me from doing it. It's not the fear of "getting caught", its more so the customers that you have to worry about.

Having been in the business, it's really not worth the hassle from people who will probably want you to install the cheapest parts from pep boys and then likely complain when there's an issue.

That's why i really only do work for friends/family (and sometimes local forum members that i've built up a history with). A quick example is my one buddy needed brakes done. I told him what to get and he came over. Well.... they didn't have the rotors i spec'd, they only had the cheap $20 front rotors and he also went with the cheapest semi-metallic pads they had. Before I even put them on i told him "they're going to make noise". Sure enough, a month later they're squealing like a pig . For good measure (because he was concerned) i re-inspected everything and resurfaced his pads & rotors, and showed him that there was nothing "wrong"... so it's not a safety issue, just annoying. A month later the squeal came back, but he's living with it.

Difference between him and some random person; he knows im not screwing with him (especially since i did it for free). Some random person through craigslist would probably think it was my fault and would be demanding that i replace the pads/rotors for free for them. So the $50-$100 i might make just wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Another concern is when something completely unrelated goes wrong... like changing the fluid in the differentials and then the engine starts running rough. They have nothing in common but because of the 'timing' the customer thinks the engine running rough is your fault. Yeah... i've seen weird things like that.

And my personal favorite... someone who waits too long for a spark plug change and they're seized in the heads.

So yeah; it's really not worth the risk to open an underground shop, IMO.

-Matt
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_ View Post
So yeah; it's really not worth the risk to open an underground shop, IMO.
Yea, you bring up good points.

Sadly, the whole automotive service industry is a mess because of consumer ignorance.

Bad actors get away with murder because of Consumer ignorance, if consumers knew how they were getting ripped off would never had agreed to service in the first place, let alone never return again.

Good actors get undue hassle and headaches from ignorant consumers that don't know what they are talking about, but know for a fact its all the service providers fault.

My point was more toward the nanny state NJ has become, and the crony politics. If dealers and shops suddenly started to loose business to a honest upstart, that didn't go through the red tape and palm greasing to be allowed to hang a shingle outside the door, they would pick up the phone and talk to the local town councilman and suddenly you'd see the full force of the law come into effect enforcing all that red tape they pile on the business's.

Saw a post on another forum, where a guy answered a craiglist request to fix a vehicle. It was typical neglect, he just did a typical tune-up and got the vehicle running. Then the vehicle owner refused to pay, because he didn't do anything he couldn't have done himself. Yea, there are people out there like that, and that s what you run the risk of running into with craigslist.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in