Starter Removal/Front Drive Shaft Question - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Starter Removal/Front Drive Shaft Question

I am trying to replace my starter, I have read online that you must move the drive shaft, can someone tell me how to remove the front drive shaft?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Did you go see where the starter was for your self. I would be surprised if the drive shaft needed to me removed let me see if I can find it in the manual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:17 PM

Which engine do you have and I'm guessing you have 4x4

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

We do know where the starter is and tried to remove it last night but it's near impossible to get out without removing the drive shaft/ or moving it... we have a 2006 4.7 V-8
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmrose10420 View Post
We do know where the starter is and tried to remove it last night but it's near impossible to get out without removing the drive shaft/ or moving it... we have a 2006 4.7 V-8
Ok ya the 3.7 and 4.7 require the drive shaft to be removed give me a minuet and I'll post the instructions out of the SM for you.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Just going to post this as well I'm looking up the drive shaft.
1. Disconnect and isolate negative battery cable.
2. Raise and support vehicle.
3. Note: If equipped with 4WD, remove front drive shaft.
4. Note: If equipped with 4WD and certain transmissions, a support bracket is used between front axle and side of transmission. Remove 2 support bracket bolts at transmission. Pry support bracket slightly to gain access to lower starter mounting bolt.

5. Remove two bolts (3) if equipped with an automatic transmission.
6. Move starter motor (4) towards front of vehicle far enough for nose of starter pinion housing to clear housing. Always support starter motor during this process, do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
7. Tilt nose downwards and lower starter motor far enough to access and remove nut (2) that secures battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet (1) to solenoid battery terminal stud. Do not let starter motor hang from wire harness.
8. Remove battery positive cable wire harness connector eyelet (5) from solenoid battery terminal stud.
9. Disconnect battery positive cable wire harness connector from solenoid terminal connector receptacle.
10. Remove starter motor.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

That is great, thank you so much for your help.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 02:51 PM

I've never done this repair before but here is the instructions out of the SM. I'm sure someone will chime in and give you some extra advice on things that may have helped them get this done. I personally would not remove the whole thing unless I had to just pull the one side off and see if that gives you enough room to wiggle the starter out. I can go look at mine as well here in a little bit since we have the same engine.

Propeller shaft REMOVAL

1. With vehicle in neutral, position vehicle on hoist.
2. Mark a line across the axle pinion flange (1), propeller shaft (2), flange yoke (3) and transfer case for installation reference.

3. Support the transmission and the transmission crossmember.

4. Remove propeller shaft (1) from transfer case flange (2).

5. Remove propeller shaft (1) from axle pinion flange (2

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Again, thank you so much..I will let you know how it goes.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Points: 8,689, Level: 62 Points: 8,689, Level: 62 Points: 8,689, Level: 62
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 127,000
I just replaced my front drive shaft, just becareful whey you disconnect it from the front axle as well as make sure the vehicle is supported properly.

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L QD II.....[I]4in Super lift Supension lift, Defender Roof Rack, 285 70R17 ProComp Xtreme Mud Terrain II tires, JK wheels, Rear grab handles, polished throttle body, RCV performance CV Axles, 4X Guard belly guard, front guard, jeepinbyals upper control arms, borla cat back exhaust and LED off road bar 40" and dully D2's.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in