Front diff whines !! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
Front diff whines !!

Recently I started to notice a whining sound from the front diff at 45 to 50 MPH speeds, only comes when slightly give it some gas and disappears when letting it off. ,, also disappears quickly after 50 MPH!

Any one faced this problem and got it fixed?

I hope its not a major problem in the diff that might require a rebuild or a whole axle change !

Tomorrow I'm planing to change the oil (just on time, around 17k miles from last change) ,, I'm thinking to open the front cover after draining the oil to look for any clues, .. I'm not experienced mechanically so I would like to get your advices about things to look for or test inside the diff to isolate the problem.

Current mileage : 65k miles
Quadra-Drive II

Second Jeep Commander, Current
2007 XH (International model), Green Metallic, Ltd, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II
Spidertax 1.5" wheel spacer, K&N replacement filter
OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ahmed; 01-25-2011 at 03:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Are you sure the sound is new Ahmed?...I know, weird question, but I always ask.
For example, " I never noticed it till I put tires on it " Meaning, the thing is so quiet now I hear a whine at speeds from 50 to 53 MPH.
It is not uncommon for a ring and pinion to have a slight harmonic at certain speeds.
If it was a bearing problem, I would expect it at all times while loaded or all times at coast.

Of course, I'm at a disadvantage at this distance, ha.
Regarding draining, obviously catch the oil but then, strain it through a cheesecloth....see what you get.
Very fine filings, like the metallic in paint is normal......fluid that looks like a metallic paint before you spray it is not normal.
But there will always be some metallic evidence of shearing......means nothing.

I won't recommend removing the cover unless the oil is looking like metallic paint......but at that point, you probably would remove the whole front diff for bench disassembly and diagnostics.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

As well, how do you know its the Front Diff and NOT the CV Joints in the driveshafts or even wheel bearings. I'd think the only thing to do at this point is to inspect and see if you can find anything wrong, and I wouldn't limit it to just the front diff, it could be wheel bearings or CV joints as well.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 11:29 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

See if this helps:

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...light=grinding

Maybe, maybe not. Good luck.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhh3 View Post
With the exception of Robbie and a few others, I'm beginning to think you all are a bunch of poseurs. All I asked for was a little input, but no such luck. If I wanted to change my interior lights to neon, I probably would have received 100 replies!
Thats funny stuff right there

Stop by and like the page

post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL View Post
Thats funny stuff right there
Pure Frustration - WWJD? Robby just about got it!
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
Are you sure the sound is new Ahmed?...I know, weird question, but I always ask.
For example, " I never noticed it till I put tires on it " Meaning, the thing is so quiet now I hear a whine at speeds from 50 to 53 MPH.
It is not uncommon for a ring and pinion to have a slight harmonic at certain speeds.
If it was a bearing problem, I would expect it at all times while loaded or all times at coast.

Of course, I'm at a disadvantage at this distance, ha.
Regarding draining, obviously catch the oil but then, strain it through a cheesecloth....see what you get.
Very fine filings, like the metallic in paint is normal......fluid that looks like a metallic paint before you spray it is not normal.
But there will always be some metallic evidence of shearing......means nothing.

I won't recommend removing the cover unless the oil is looking like metallic paint......but at that point, you probably would remove the whole front diff for bench disassembly and diagnostics.

Rob
I didn't add anything recently that would make the sound loader, same since several months.

I fact there was I bit whining sound when I bought it, but it was not load enough to consider it a problem, but the sound now is really not normal. and only appears on very limited speed range which as you said eliminates the the bearing issues and if I'm not mistaken its only the differential that make such sound!.

I didn't change the oil yet, planned during this week and I will try the cheesecloth method and see what I get. I will not open the cover thought as recommended.

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:15 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

The very first step in a whine diagnosis is to rotate the tires.

Certain tread designs can set up a harmonic as they trap and compress air between the small siping reliefs.

Obviously, you are verifying the sound has not changed in pitch or location.

Rob

|
|
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 09:59 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

My guess would also be front diff. Possibly pinion bearing.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
The very first step in a whine diagnosis is to rotate the tires.

Certain tread designs can set up a harmonic as they trap and compress air between the small siping reliefs.

Obviously, you are verifying the sound has not changed in pitch or location.

Rob
That is not difficulty to test, but if the sound is coming from the tries then it would not disappear when I take off my foot from the gas at that the speed range, would it?

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in