2009 5.7 Commander 30,000 Mile Maintenance - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
Points: 144, Level: 2 Points: 144, Level: 2 Points: 144, Level: 2
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

2009 5.7 Commander 30,000 Mile Maintenance

Just curious how important some of the 30,000 mile maintenance is. I was at the dealer for an oil change last week and currently at 32,000 miles they suggested I change the front and rear differential fluids, trans fluid, and the spark plugs which was going to cost around $1000. A little strapped for cash I am looking for any input from people who have gone longer than 30,000 miles for any of this or if it is pretty important to do now.

2009 Commander Overland 5.7L Hemi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:30 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Preventative maintenance is important. The plugs REALLY should be changed every 30k.

I dont think the trans fluid is due at 30k... do you mean transfer case?

Also, take a look in the owners manual. There's two different maintenance schedules... one of which is for "severe duty". I think the 30k diff changes may be for the severe maintenance schedule. So if you're not offroading/towing/etc, you can follow the other maintenance schedule for the drivetrain fluids.

Personally, i always follow the more severe schedule. But i don't mind crawling under the vehicle to change the fluids on my own... I would never pay $1000 for something that I can do on my own for $200.

If you're willing to get your hands dirty, changing the fluids are really not difficult at all and can be done with basic tools. Even the spark plug change is relatively easy, there's a "how to" thread on it as well.

Oh and welcome to the forum

-Matt
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Start by looking at the two schedules in the owners manual.
For example, if towing, the one schedule calls for a 30k final drive fluid change.
If not towing, service isn't required.....on that one I'd recommend a change in the 50 to 60k range.
As you can see, regardless of use, the transfer case oil should be changed at 30k intervals......on this one I strongly agree.
You'll notice the same variations regarding servicing the trans.....only you know your driving habits so you can make a determination.
I do not have a manual in front of me but yours will tell you at what mileage the 09 calls for plugs.
Whatever it is, you should stick with the recommendation, just like the t-case mentioned earlier.

If you are not the do it yourself type you can save a great deal by using the services of a trusted independent operation.....

Bout all the mini pointers I can come up at this time.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,441, Level: 100 Points: 59,441, Level: 100 Points: 59,441, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
You can do it yourself for less than half of that. All the info on which fluids to use, sparkplugs, and how to do it (some have pics) is here on the forum if you look for it.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 PM
Points: 6,141, Level: 50 Points: 6,141, Level: 50 Points: 6,141, Level: 50
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adziuda View Post
Just curious how important some of the 30,000 mile maintenance is. I was at the dealer for an oil change last week and currently at 32,000 miles they suggested I change the front and rear differential fluids, trans fluid, and the spark plugs which was going to cost around $1000. A little strapped for cash I am looking for any input from people who have gone longer than 30,000 miles for any of this or if it is pretty important to do now.

2009 Commander Overland 5.7L Hemi
Check out the manual. Jeep changed the maintenance intervals in 2008 I believe. There used to use 2 different schedules, depending on the use of the vehicle. Now there is 1. Most of the stuff you listed is no longer required at 30K.

You can download the manual from Jeep.com. Page 474 has the 30k schedule. If you have been off road a lot, and had your axles under water, you would want to change the fluid. But for normal driving, just follow the manual.

08 Unlimited X 4X4 - 2.5" Fortec Lift, Mopar Winch Bumper, Ramsey 8.5e Winch, Rear eLocker, Auto Swaybar Disco, Rubi Tires, JVC KD-NX5000, Cobra 75 WX ST CB.

08 Commander Sport 4X4 - 4.7, QTII, Loaded, Stock.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:28 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurstrescue View Post
Check out the manual. Jeep changed the maintenance intervals in 2008 I believe. There used to use 2 different schedules, depending on the use of the vehicle. Now there is 1. Most of the stuff you listed is no longer required at 30K.
Yes, now its a single schedule in the manual, BUT, it lists the items from both schedule with a note for the items that are for severe duty with the conditions that you would want to perform the preventative maintenance early. i.e. they combined the schedules, and when you come to items like change axle fluid, it will say "inspect the fluid, change the fluid if you use the vehicle to off-road, frequent towing, etc..."

It seems the denser the population, the bigger a rip-off artist the dealerships are likely to be. Search this forum, the 30k maintenance suggested by the manufacturer shouldn't cost more than $250, if you've been keeping up with the preventative maintenance, if you haven't, it might cost $400 to catch you up. BUT, plenty of people complained that the dealership charged them $1300 or more to do 30k mile servicing, and when they list what the dealership did, it was many items way above what the manufacturer recommends.

I'd suggest you NOT go back to that dealership, they are just one of "BAD" dealerships that rip-off customers.

Since the manufacturers keep a lot of the electronic diagnosis and configuration tools proprietary, to force people into the dealerships, the dealerships have only gotten worse because they no longer have to compete for business. I would NOT go to a dealership for anything more than I absolutely had to, and any compentent independent shop would likely perform the 30k mi. servicing better than most dealerships. Just keep records and receipts, in case there are arguments over the warranty, they can NOT deny your warranty because you didn't have your vehicle serviced somewhere else than the dealer.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 AM

Another Dealership ripping off customers, read your double post in the general section. Be an informed consumer, the biggest enemy to rip-off artists, open your owners manual and read it, if you don't have one, then download a copy from the internet.

Let me guess, this dealership is in or near a big city? Your profile posts up Chicago, so it sounds right. Many of the Dealerships are performing all the maintenance for the whole life of the vehicle, plus some extra on top of that, that is never called for from the manufacturer, every 30k mi. so they can charge folks 4-5 times what they should be paying for the service they actually need according to the manufacturer.

Ford/GM and even Japanese and European Dealerships are doing the same thing, the denser the population at the dealership location, the worse this seems to get.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Points: 4,379, Level: 42 Points: 4,379, Level: 42 Points: 4,379, Level: 42
Level up: 15% Level up: 15% Level up: 15%

You might consider places like Jiffy Lube for fluid changes. They are cheaper than the dealers.

2007 Jeep Commander 4X4, 4.7, Steel Blue
2003 Ford Thunderbird, White, Black Top w/ Port Holes
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Unfortunately, the state of the auto repair industry today, any place, dealership, national franchise, local independent shop, could rip you off. There is just so much consumer ignorance out there, it ends up rewarding dishonest organizations and penalizing honest organizations; so it just drives more and more organizations to be deceiptful and try to get people to overpay.

Before you look for a place that will give you a fair deal, EDUACATE yourself, be an informed consumer. That is the best way to prevent being ripped-off. You just have to read a couple of pages in the Owners Manual to eduacate yourself, and make a list of exactly what you need to be performed. Take that list and comparison shop, do a little back ground checking, asking around, try to find out the shops reputation.

The owners manual also stipulates the parts and fluids to use, that should be part of the list of jobs to perform, make sure they use the correct fluid and you make that a stipulation of the work to be performed, or supply the correct fluid youself. Many shops won't bother with the correct fluid and just use a close approximation they have on hand, and that can make a big difference in the longevity of the component. Even dealerships have used the wrong fluid, taking short cuts to do the job as cheap as possible, instead of the right way.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-04-2011, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Points: 144, Level: 2 Points: 144, Level: 2 Points: 144, Level: 2
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%

thanks for all the feedback!

I had it at the dealer to fix an issue i was having with the auto leveling headlights and i went ahead and had the front and rear differentials changed.

I was going to have the Transfer Case serviced at Tuffy but the guy said the manufacturer doesnt call for it until 60,000 miles and same with the plugs and transmission fluid so i will be waiting a little while for all of that.

"Another Dealership ripping off customers, read your double post in the general section. Be an informed consumer, the biggest enemy to rip-off artists"

Id have to agree with Mongo on that above quote.

After talking with the guy at Tuffy who has been a very trustworthy source for me its sounds like i wasted money having the front and rear differentials done so soon. Lesson learned i guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Tags
2009 , 30000 mile , 5.7 , commander , hemi , maintenance , overland , service

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in