Oil Change 2010 Commander - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Points: 891, Level: 15 Points: 891, Level: 15 Points: 891, Level: 15
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Oil Change 2010 Commander

Hello All! I am a new owner of a 2010 Jeep Commander as of this week. Love this Jeep to death. I was doing some reading in the manual and it saids to change the oil every 6,000 miles or 6 months whatever comes first. Currently i have 19k miles.

I am use to changing oil every 3-3500 miles. Is 6000 good to change the oil or less? What oil as well?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1 Points: 79, Level: 1
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%

That's what I was wondering too, I usually change every 5000km (3106 mi ~3000mi). But if 6000mi is ok then that will save me 1/2 of what I usually pay for in a year on changes.

Vondollo

|________0000_
l[__][__][_\\____\___
l-- ________--|[]lllllll[]|
(o)_)---------(o)_)-0-)_)

2010 Commander Sport 3.7L
94 Cherokee 4.0L
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Points: 3,556, Level: 37 Points: 3,556, Level: 37 Points: 3,556, Level: 37
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%

Only you know what your driving conditions and habits are. Manufacturers may say 3K-6K miles depending on how you drive, when you drive, where you drive, etc...

I would err on the side of caution and do your oil changes at 3K miles. I have always done mine at 3K and do so on the Commander as well. Maybe I could get away with more...but to me, doing it at 3K is peace of mind.

And if you can, do it yourself. I wouldn't trust those oil jockeys at some lube place. It also allows you to look around under the car for any other leaks or other issues that may arise.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
2000 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2006 Jeep Commander Sport

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:09 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I have always done mine around 3,000 miles give or take and use full synthetic mobil 1. At least this way I know my engine should last a while. In the winter months I use a bottle of lucas as well. Helps with cold starts.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Points: 891, Level: 15 Points: 891, Level: 15 Points: 891, Level: 15
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%

Great thanks! Yeah the local dealer here in town said every 3k as well!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Synthetic oil can last well over 6,000 miles depending on several factors: city/highway driving, engine, oil filter, and many more.

You can send your used oil to a lab where they test the oil. These test results can determine if you engine oil is "bad"/over due.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I use Mobil 1 oil with a Wix filter and change the oil every 5,000 miles with no guilt.

2006 Black 65th Anniversary Edition
3.7L V6

Last edited by bob123; 02-09-2011 at 06:16 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 08:34 PM
06h
Banned
Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Of course the dealer is going to say 3k.

Check trend. https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ange+intervals
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 08:16 AM
Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100 Points: 63,765, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to a49erFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
Synthetic oil can last well over 6,000 miles depending on several factors: city/highway driving, engine, oil filter, and many more.

I use Mobil 1 oil with a Wix filter and change the oil every 5,000 miles with no guilt.
I use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in my smart and for that vehicle the recommended oil change is every 10,000 miles (my project for this weekend).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 XK, Steel Armadillo Front Bumper w/Warn Powermate winch, Rear Bumper w/tire carrier & Super Sliders, Rhino Rack Roof Rack and Foxwing Awning, KC Lights on Steel Armadillo Light Bar, 4xGuard Rear Differential Cover, Steel Armadillo Plates.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
While we're talking about oil changes, does anyone have an opinion about K&N oil filters? I called K&N about my air filter warranty. After I asked them what makes their oil filter better. The tech said that their media works similarly to their air filter media: high flow (16 gal/min), better particle filtering plus a valve that keeps oil from draining from the heads (?) and thus preventing dry starts. Does anyone have any experience with this filter brand? What about the dry start claims? If the filter does help with that, then the cost premium would be worth it. BTW, the tech said that K&N advises oil changes to be done according to OEM schedules; no extended duty recommended, for which a 5k replacement interval for synthetic oil seems logical and more than adequate to me.

2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 01:03 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

Quote:

K&N

HP-3001

This filter is a very close match to the Mobil 1 filter, which like this one also uses the original "performance" version of the Champion Labs design. The only unique attribute to this filter is the nut welded to the back of the can. This may be handy during removal, but it does increase the overall length of the can which can lead to clearance problems if things are already tight. They make oil filter wrenches in various styles for a reason. The K&N is an expensive filter for what it is, and you can save $2 by getting the Mobil 1 instead.

K&N air filters are fabric filters with large openings between the woven threads, that allows higher air flow, but would also allow more dirt to pass through them normally. BUT, it doesn't allow more dirt to pass through them because you oil the fabric and the oil, by its very nature, attracts and catches the dirt and holds it in the fabric.

I haven't seen any real evidence K&N filters do NOT protect engine adequately. I have seen tests that have shown some evidence that cloth/oil air filters do let more fine dirt pass then typical paper air filters. That doesn't necessarily mean your engine is NOT protected well enough if you use K&N. K&N usually does flow more air than typical paper and often will give you a bit of a power boost.

I don't see how that concept transfers over to an oil filter, the K&N rep may just have meant that K&N Oil Filters, like their Air Filters flow more while still filtering as well as traditional filters.

Only thing I have heard for K&N oil filters is word of mouth anti-dotal evidence, i.e. people say they are great, the company does have a good reputation and is trusted.

I have 200k miles on my Neon R/T using a K&N air filter with a CAI that places the air filter just above the road, where there is lots of dirt. It still makes just a much power as when new, which would NOT be the case if the air filter was letting lots of dirt into the motor. Yes, I'd say a good quality paper filter is probably the most likely to keep the most dirt out of the motor, but if your willing to risk it for maybe a few extra HP, I wouldn't be worried about using a K&N filter, as long as you clean it and re-oil it often enough. I have NOT heard of anyone complaining of engine damage because they used a K&N air filter.

Oil Filters, personally I use Hasting Filters and I have cut them open and found them to be remarkedly similiar to Mobil1 filters, the Hasting actual had more surface area to the filter media. Its hard to tell the quality of filter media by appearance.

Mobil1 and K&N I'm sure are great filters, only thing to consider, are they worth the price when likely Wix, Purolator and Hastings are protecting as well for less money? I don't think anyone could answer that definetively though, it would just be opinion.

Last edited by Mongo; 02-11-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in