Replacing oil cooler lines? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,465, Level: 52 Points: 6,465, Level: 52 Points: 6,465, Level: 52
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Replacing oil cooler lines?

I'm going to be replacing my oil cooler lines and trans filters and gasket tonight and I was wondering if anybody had any directions or good illustrations on changing the oil cooler lines? One end of the lines look like they "plug" in is there a certain way to unplug the existing lines?

2013 Fiat Abarth
2007 Jeep Commander Overland
1991 BMW M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Theirs a special tool to release the ends, into the radiator end. It may be the same connection at the trans side also.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 11:28 AM
Points: 1,837, Level: 25 Points: 1,837, Level: 25 Points: 1,837, Level: 25
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%

Anyone have any insight on this? My hemi commander has almost 100k on it and the lines are leaking pretty good now.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

Whats the reasoning behind wanting to change your oil cooler lines?

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07JeepXK View Post
Whats the reasoning behind wanting to change your oil cooler lines?

They are leaking. The lines are the types with the crimped ends, and they start leaking after a number of years. I have an s10 with the same problem, and they have been leaking for 40k miles. I could care less about that s10 tho.

They leak, I am not worried about them breaking, but it is my wifes vehicle and I don't need it leaking oil all over the place.

I need info on how to change them, and where to get the replacement lines.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:32 PM

Also, the lines are easy to see and access. They run to the front from the oil filter area to the radiator.

When I was first shopping for a commander, I looked at another hemi one with almost 100k miles on it. It was also leaking from these lines, so I would think that this is probably a common problem with commanders. I don't know if it is specific to hemi's, but it might be.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Points: 8,665, Level: 62 Points: 8,665, Level: 62 Points: 8,665, Level: 62
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%

Hey SkinnyR,
I'm going thru the same leaky line issues on my wifes Commander (but her trans lines). I haven't done it yet but I plan to simply grind that crimp off and use 2 hose clamps per end. That's one way of fixing it. My bro-in-law removed his completely (different brand car) and brought the entire assembly to a hydraulic hose repair shop that did "while you wait" service. That cost more than some worm-style hose clamps. ;-)
Here is some visuals on how you can fix the leaks yourself if you so choose.

06 Commander 4.7 LTD... fine Corinthian leather! And a hacked REC-Nav.

Last edited by elgineddie; 03-14-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: had the wrong link in there to the referenced fix
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgineddie View Post
Hey SkinnyR,
I'm going thru the same leaky line issues on my wifes Commander (but her trans lines). I haven't done it yet but I plan to simply grind that crimp off and use 2 hose clamps per end. That's one way of fixing it. My bro-in-law removed his completely (different brand car) and brought the entire assembly to a hydraulic hose repair shop that did "while you wait" service. That cost more than some worm-style hose clamps. ;-)
That is a great fix right there! Thanks for the info, thats how i am going to do it. For some reason, I can't see all of the pics in that thread, but I have the general idea.

thank you.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 08:52 PM
Points: 2,385, Level: 29 Points: 2,385, Level: 29 Points: 2,385, Level: 29
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgineddie View Post
Hey SkinnyR,
I hate to bring up an old thread but I have some lines on mine that are leaking something fierce. The lines look like they could be these but the oil looks and smells like engine oil. I have not pulled the shield off yet but the like run to the passenger side of the radiator then under the alternator at that point I am not sure where they go from there. I have a 5.7 HEMI with factory tow package in my commander. Does this sound like the right location for Trans Cooler Lines? Or is this something else? From what I can see they are definitely swagged like the pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in