Oil build up at the Transfer Case !! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 150000
Oil build up at the Transfer Case !!

While inspecting the vihcle from below I noticed some oil building up at the Transfer case connector and motor ,, couldn't pinpoint from where the oil is leaking, so I washed it out to see from where it leaks .. here some pics .. anyone had such issue ? any advices ?

Second Jeep Commander, Current
2007 XH (International model), Green Metallic, Ltd, 5.7L HEMI, Quadra-Drive II
Spidertax 1.5" wheel spacer, K&N replacement filter
OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98 Points: 27,950, Level: 98
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%

I could be wrong but it looks like the gasket for the shift motor is bad. If so, should be an easy fix. Im not sure where else the oil could be coming from. Just make sure you clean those electrical connectors good.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 08:17 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Well, now that you've cleaned it well, go back and keep checking it, you should be able to see the oil leak starting at its source.

But, I have to agree with 07JeepXK, if I had to guess, it really looks like the seal between the motor and the tcase.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Im not quite sure where else the oil could be coming from and get all over the shift motor like that. Just pop off the shift motor and replace that gasket. It sould only cost a few dollars. Then spay down the underside of the vehicle again and see if it stops leaking.

I was changing my engine oil last night and while underneith the XK I noticed that my rack and pinion (steering rack) was completely coverd in oil right at the gear box just like your transfer case shift motor. After looking around for a bit I noticed that when I take off the oil filter, the oil drips down right on the gear box. There is a plastic pan under the oil filter but it doesnt seem to catch all the oil as it drips down. For a minute I thought my rack and pinion was bad and that Id have to replace it in the near future. On your XK, there really isnt anything above the shift motor that can leak down onto it though.

2007 4.7 Liter XK | Front OME MD Springs w/Superlift Preload Spacer | Rear 4" Superlift Springs | Bilstein 5125 Rear Shocks | JBA UCA's | Rusty's Rear Adjustable Track Bar | Black Rock 997 Wheels | Fred Goeske 1/4 Inch Wheel Spacers | 305/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar | Airflow Snorkel | Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler | Superchips Flashpaq | Mopar Skids | 4xGuard Belly Guard | American Rebel Rear Diff Cover | Rear Powertrax No-Slip | Front E-Locker | Rear Heat/AC Delete

Last edited by 07JeepXK; 02-14-2011 at 11:16 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100 Points: 37,701, Level: 100

4WD
Thanks guys for your inputs ,,, I'm wondering if changing the motor seal will make all the oil out and require complete oil change !!

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,
2007 XH (International model), Light Graystone Pearl, Sport , 4.7L Quadra-Trac II.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 06:13 AM

Im almost positive that you would need to drain the transfer case in order to replace the gasket. Otherwise you would just destroy the new gasket when installing it. Both mating surfaces have to be clean for it to seal properly. If fluid is coming out as your trying to put the gasket in then you will just contine to have a leak and you didnt fix the problem.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:42 AM

A flat gasket, like paper gaskets or flat rubber gasket, or sealing using a bead of RTV, yes, do exactly like 07JeepXK says; you want a clean dry surface on both sides.

Manufacturers are coming up with all different and more effective seals now a days, and you really need to follow the instructions for those seals and NOT general rules.

The only exceptions I can think of:
*"O"-ring seals, or something akin to O-rings, is becoming more and more popular, even between flat flange like surfaces. Again follow any manufacturer instructions to the letter, but absent any instructions, O-rings are seals you usually want to lube with a little engine oil or the fluid they are designed to seal in before installing them.

*Shaped Silicone Seals/Gaskets, again follow the instructions from the manufacturer, which usually states to NOT use RTV or any other additional sealant with it. I learned from experience, follow the recommendation, those silicone gaskets will leak unless you follow the manufacturer instuctions and then they seal better than most.

*Using RTV in combination with gaskets; this has been hit and miss for me, as many times it has improved the sealing, it has hurt the sealing and caused it to leak. I stay away from adding RTV to a gasket, unless its called for in the instructions, like in the tight corners of some gaskets where you run a single line of RTV. Either use the gasket as intended or a bead of RTV, NOT both.

The gasket installed as the manufacturer intended seems to work best, the most amount of times, everytime I've thought I was smarter than the manufacturer and started improvising my own improvements, I more often than NOT ended up creating a leak in the gasket.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 02:35 AM Thread Starter

4WD
after cleaning and checking again I noticed that the oil comes out from the electrical connector and after removing the electrical connector I noticed that the oil comes out from the electrical pins !! ... it seems that the oil leaking inside from the transfer case into the motor case and somehow to the electrical pins as the only way out ... I didn't proceed more than that not knowing how it looks inside and what to expect!

Anyone has a photos for the Transfercase motor removed ? and how it looks at its base>?

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 PM

Well, it can only be one of two things, the motor is sealed to NOT allow oil into the part with the connector -OR- the oil is suppose to be behind the connector and the seal between the pins and body of the connector has failed.

Pull the motor and see which it is, you'll probably be able to tell with the motor off.

If its the seal between the motor and transfer case and should seal the oil out of the part with the connector, then cleaning up the motor and replacing the seal should seal the problem.

If it is, the oil should flow behind the connector and it is leaking between the pins and body, you may have to replace the motor.

The seal can't be more then a few bucks, try replacing it and see if the leak comes back, you won't be any worse off then you are now, you might solve the problem.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-14-2014, 12:51 AM Thread Starter

4WD
I will bring this up from the dead ,, I did not fix this issue till now ,, oil buildup still continuing.

Before I start this fix now ,, Anyone had such a problem and fixed it?

OME 2" Lift kit

First Jeep Commander,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in