Auxiliary Fan 4.7 Limited squeaking.. - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Points: 655, Level: 13 Points: 655, Level: 13 Points: 655, Level: 13
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Auxiliary Fan 4.7 Limited squeaking..

Has anyone had issues with the electric cooling fan squeaking. I have not been able to locate any threads on problems with these. I have researched and it seems you can buy the whole fan assembly for around 100.00, but I also find a fan clutch which would make more sense with the sound it's making. The clutch is 130.00 or so. I assume the kit would not include this clutch. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-23-2011, 08:44 PM
Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

I had the same problem. I could make the sound by spinning the fan, all i did is replace the fan clutch, its not hard but you need a special wrench to take it off, then take off the blades and put it on the new fan clutch. It took me 20 minutes. just look at it and you'll see the holes in the front of the fan clutch which is the type of wrench you'll need
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Is this a belt driven fan with a thermal clutch on it? -OR- is it a hydraulic driven fan?

I think the Hemi has the Hydrualic driven fan.

There is a test to see if the fan clutch is bad, but the fan clutch has to be really bad to fail the test. Basically, with the engine off, give the fan a push and see if it will spin on its own, more than a whole turn on its own, then the clutch is bad. A good fan clutch won't go more than a few degrees of turn after a push, so I imagine a fan clutch would have to be in really bad shape if it can turn a whole turn. And it could develope a squeek before it got that bad.

The serpentine belt can cause squeeks, even if they look good. The key is if they have worn enough to open up inbetween each "V" Rib. The belt can look likes its in good shape, but NOT until you compare it with a new belt, do you see that its worn the grooves wider in the valley's of the "V" ribs that you can notice the wear. I spent a lot of money replacing accessories on my min-van before I discovered it was the Serpentine belt, that looked like it was in good shape, that was actually making the squeeking noise. And the serpentine belt is cheaper than the fan clutch, and you'll eventually have to replace it, so might as well do it before buying a fan clutch and see what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I had already changed the serpentine belt hoping that was the issue. I was confused for a minute. I kept thinking it was the auxillary fan, but it was the regular engine fan. I'm almost sure it's the clutch. It will spin but not a whole turn, although I can hear some minor squeaking when I spin it by hand. I am going to try the that route next. I love this sight. Everyone is great.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Another common noise creater is the tensioner for the Serpentine belt. BUT, if you can hear squeeking from the fan clutch as you turn it, I think you've found the problem. If that doesn't work, then look to the tensioner next.

I haven't looked up the price for one on a Commander, on my mini-van it was like $40 for a new tensioner, if you comparison shop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25 Points: 1,813, Level: 25
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%

That what i did, and it spun freely, once i changed it the other one would not spin freely, easy to test, if the noise gets louder when you rev the engine up it could be your idler pully, i changed that as well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2011, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in