B&M Synthetic Trick Shift ATF - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
Banned
Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

B&M Synthetic Trick Shift ATF

The Superchips tuning on my 4.7 L. did clean up the slow shifts in my 5 speed transmission but still not to the point of what I'd call "crisp shifts". Being the past owner of multiple performance cars made by Ford (Mustang GT, Taurus SHO), Chevrolet (2 Z-28's) & Buick (turbocharged Grand National) I've used regular Trick Shift in all of my automatic transmissions in the past (including the 4 speed in my 2000 Cherokee 4.0 L), with much success I might add. After realizing that my new tuning on my '08 Commander still isn't taking me to the level that I'd like I started to research other ways to bump up the pressure in my trans. in order to get a quicker shift (especially the 1 - 2 shift). After reading about solenoids and pressure and some of the "tricks" that a few people are posting online I got to thinking maybe I'd just leave mine alone and learn to be happy with what increase the new tuning has given me. Then I remembered Trick Shift. After some confusing reads about why not to use regular Trick Shift on any post 1993 trans. I started to run into postings talking about the success electronic transmissions were having using the newer Synthetic Trick Shift. I decided to go ahead and do this so I bought a bottle from Jeg's (one of many online retailers who stock it for the same price of $7.99 a quart), I chose Jeg's because they are here in Ohio and I knew the shipping would be fast. A friend and I vacuumed out as much of the ATF+4 last night as possible (roughly 5 1/2 qt.) and replaced the fluid with a quart of Synthetic Trick Shift with the rest new ATF+4. The newer Trick Shift is now blue (instead of clear like the older stuff) and I was almost a little hesitant to pour it in, but I am glad that I did. After a cruise around town my trans. is shifting a small amount faster (subjective I know because I cannot actually tell you how much faster) so it seems to have been a successful upgrade. I am driving to Columbus tomorrow so I'll get a good 40 mile highway ride there and back as a test too. I'll repost if I have any issues from doing this, but as for now its a success. Since a faster shift means less internal heat due to friction I would anticipate this to also be good for the longevity of my trans. Since I've never had trouble from any transmission in the past (while also using this product) I really don't anticipate anything but good shifts to come outta this change, and now I also have the piece of mind knowing that my stock fluid has been changed out way before the recommended service period is due for my '08.

Last edited by CommandSystemsGo!; 03-25-2011 at 06:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 AM
Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Ballsy of you to be the canary-in-the-mine with this mod. I'm sure lots of members are waiting to see what happens next. I'm glad you're not having any issues. What do you mean by crisp shifts? Is your transmission jerky now? I like how mine shifts smoothly; did you loose that?

2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Crisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJorge View Post
Ballsy of you to be the canary-in-the-mine with this mod. I'm sure lots of members are waiting to see what happens next. I'm glad you're not having any issues. What do you mean by crisp shifts? Is your transmission jerky now? I like how mine shifts smoothly; did you loose that?
JeepJorge, by "crisp" I mean fast. Stock I thought my 5 speed shifted like a slow dog with fleas. My Superchips tuning helped out a bunch, but still didn't do for my Commander what the Hypertech programming did for my 4.0 L 4 speed trans. in my Cherokee. Since my friend has a vacuum and I bought a bunch of ATF+4 because I just wasn't sure how much we'd be able to pull outta my trans. I knew that if I put the qt. of Synthetic Trick Shift in and felt anything outta place I could quickly and easily pull a good portion of it back out and add new fluid again....luckily it has helped (around town), the shift is a small amount quicker too. The big test is traveling approx. 90 mi. round trip tomorrow to go play paintball with friends. A mod like this (is cheap) but not for everyone. I think you'd have to be either a gear head, a past user of the product, a person who's already tuned his/her Commander, and not really satisfied with the shifts yet from the tune based on past (faster) shifts in other vehicles/tranny's. If I have an issue I will visit the board and take this tip down. As of now, I'm not recommending anyone go out and do it like I have yet....but after tomorrow I should know for sure wether or not to recommend it to all.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:37 AM
Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Good luck, man. Have fun in C-bus.

2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJorge View Post
Good luck, man. Have fun in C-bus.
Thanks! I've always followed my mother's advice from way back, try and apply it to playing paintball....it goes like this "Son, its always better to give than receive." (welts that is!)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

This is what I found on B&M Synthetic Trick Shift ATF
Quote:
Meets or exceeds Mercon or Dexron III requirements
Your trans specifies a fluid that meets or exceeds ATF+4.

You only added a quart, so what is that? 10% of all the fluid? Yea, likely its NOT going to create some huge change.

And firming up shifts changing the electronic controls, I think, would NOT harm anything, probably reduce wear on the clutch plates. Really firm shifts might increase shock on the rest of your drivetrain, but again, I'd think it would have to be extreme to start any earlier wear on joints and such.

The only way I can think, that a fluid could increase firmness of shifts is too increase the overall viscosity of the fluid, so fluid pressure builds faster and higher in the system. Can that cause problems? Again, I don't know.

Please let us know how things turn out, after a couple of 10's of thousands of miles. If will be good to know, so we can warn people away, or re-assure them there is nothing to worry about.

One of the things that Bias me, is the 41TE trans Chrysler used in its FWD vehicles, and especially the heavier mini-vans. This trans was very troublesome, and failed early all the time, using anything but the exact specified fluid would result in a quick death for that trans. Chrysler developed ATF+4 as a super high quality, severe duty, fluid that got that trans to last much longer. I guess Chrysler was buying the fluid in bulk enough, that they decided it was economical to use in all their trans, and being a better fluid would be better for the trans also.

So arguably, only the troublesome 41TE is the only trans so delicate that you would be foolish to try to experiment a bit with it and try to change things, but having a vehicle with this trans and hearing all the stories, I get jittery thinking about any fluid other ATF+4.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 03-26-2011 at 08:38 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 06:21 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Well I drove nearly 100 miles yesterday round trip, almost all on the highway, approx. 400 lbs. of gear and a buddy of mine as a passenger. Zero issues with the transmission. Shifts seem a bit quicker and cleaner (still that statement is subjective I know because its nearly impossible to actually measure). All in all its working out perfect for me. I did do a lot of online research and read a ton of anectdotal statements from many people (Dodge, Chevy, Buick & Ford owners) about the newer Synthetic Trick Shift before doing this to mine. Now I wish that I would have bought a few quarts of it to add. Since I replaced roughly 8% of the total ATF+4 w/ Trick Shift the fluid dynamics and how it modifies pressure is minimal as is (using just a quart with a fluid evac. and change for service. I may (sometime this summer) go ahead and vacuum out a couple more quarts and replace those with straight Trick Shift in an attempt to get the ratio up to around 20% inside the trans. As of right now, I know it might sound like voodoo fluid use to some, but I would definitely recommend everybody to try it for themselves. Its not gonna hurt (I guarantee you that) and can only help. Please read up on it for yourself if your curious. By the way, you can buy single quarts thru a bunch of retailers, I paid $7.99 for a quart.

Synthetic Trick Shift ATF - Sold in 12 qt. box only
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

Sounds good! Keep us updated on the "long term" effects of the Trick Shift. Also just wondering if you've played with the Advanced Transmission Tuning app for your Superchips?

2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II | Daystar 2" Lift | K&N Filter | Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | IAT Mod | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt_JWS View Post
Sounds good! Keep us updated on the "long term" effects of the Trick Shift. Also just wondering if you've played with the Advanced Transmission Tuning app for your Superchips?
I've ran the updater on my Flashpaq (which requires downloading the Superchips software) and I cannot alter either the fan temp. settings or anything to do with the transmission (but if you've found a way too please share that knowledge with me Lt JWS). Essentially it seems like they have preset with the tune what they want the average user to run. But since I am not the average user I am always looking for improvements. I've read several different how to's online about adding resistors to the trans. to get firmer shifts but instead of trying that and going too far I decided to test out the Trick Shift first. I will be vacuuming out another 2 qt. within a couple weeks and replacing that with Trick Shift, my goal is to get my fluid level mix in the trans. somewhere around 80% ATF+4 & 20% Trick Shift. B&M says that you can run straight Trick Shift but that would require trans. removal/converter being drained. So for now I'll just be happy to have a decent bit of their product in my trans. I've already noticed that the 1-2 & 2-3 shifts have improved even over the Superchips tune. I notice it especially when shifts are made that are not under load or are under 3,000 rpms. And that was what I was trying to address by doing this. The flaw in tuning is that the tune is written to be most effective under WOT or load which doesn't address a nice firm/quick shift at lower rpms...Trick Shift fluid is improving that noticeably.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2011, 09:11 AM
Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40 Points: 4,007, Level: 40
Level up: 29% Level up: 29% Level up: 29%

Its an upgrade to the Flashpaq, it cost $39.95 and its well worth it! You can adjust the the firmness(toque management i believe) for all the upshifts i can't remember on the downshifts. This is the best part about the Flashpaq in my own opinion, it takes some time to input all the changes but like i say its a night and day difference!

2006 XK 4.7V8 | Quadra-Drive II | Daystar 2" Lift | K&N Filter | Port and Polished Throttle Body| Magnaflow# 12256 | IAT Mod | Leather, heated seats, Command View| Factory Tow hooks | Full factory skids | Rear D-Ring Shackle |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in