Dash lights doing funny things - Post Service - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 AM Thread Starter
Points: 672, Level: 13 Points: 672, Level: 13 Points: 672, Level: 13
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Dash lights doing funny things - Post Service

Hey all, i had my Commander in for a 110K service yesterday. Before it went in it was all fine and running like a dream. Never had any issues with the car at all. Even after i have fitted the taller tires and lift, no running issues. I drove the car home after the service and noticed no problems.

Well today me and the wife packed the car and set of for our long weekend getaway. Just backed out of the drive and all of a sudden im getting engine warning lights flashing, airbag lights flashing, ESP lights flashing. The engine and ESP lights were coming on together. The AIR bag light was coming on separately. The lights were not staying on, but flashing on and off intermittently with the single chime.

The car and engine operation were not effected it still drive fine, no limp mode or engine ops not normal. I just kept driving to see if it would stop. They seemed to slow down but every now and then i would get s chime and light of some sort. Then i noticed then speedo and tacho gauges would both die and go to 0 then jump back to life and resume reading normal!!! I was also getting messages of SERVICE SUSPENSION and SERVICE TIRE PRESS MONITOR.

I dont know whats caused all this to start happening, what would the service centre have done - could they have flashed in new engine software?? Ill have to wait to get back home before i can go see them again. Anyone got any idea's??

Cheers Allen

Black 2006 XH Commander: 65th Anniversary Model

* 3.0 CRD QuadraDrive II, Lifted with 2" King Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Robby's 1.5" levelling kit, Goodyear Ailent Armor 245/75/17, Mopar H/D Towbar *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:15 AM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Some sort of computer flash probably is the only thing I can think of

'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 AM
06h
Banned
Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15 Points: 893, Level: 15
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Banned
Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50 Points: 6,103, Level: 50
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%

There are threads on the forum concerning this. Same thing has happened to me. Two possible causes: the wire to the outside temp sensor, or part of the headlamp harness behind the battery - 2 sources stated in those threads. The bottom line appears to be a slight short, which causes a voltage change, which causes the dash to flash on and off. My dealer thought it might be the ignition switch. The next time it happens, bring it to the dealer, but do not shut it off. In my case, shutting it off erases any code it might throw. Keep it running to see if they can pull a code for you. At least, this is what my dealer told me to do. Good luck.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

I have to assume the RHD Commanders use the same switch as our LHD's.

Although there have been some harness chafing issues near the radiator core support there have been far more partially and intermittently failing key switches.
The clue seems to be the tach and speedo both losing power and the engine operates normally......and, of course all the information lamps going through their respective test cycle.
Some operators have been able to reproduce it by intentionally jiggling the key or slightly twisting it.
Some found if they used the key with no other keys on the ring it displayed this behaviour less often......all pointing to a sour key switch.

I'd be inclined to exchange the switch based on high failure rate, inexpensive, simple, and then it is out of the diagnostic loop. Odds are it is the failed part.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in