Differential / Case service - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23 Points: 1,644, Level: 23
Level up: 44% Level up: 44% Level up: 44%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Question Differential / Case service

Okay I went to get my 09 Commanders 4.7 oil changed at the dealership (I get $17 coupons) and they recommended that I get the a Differential / Case serviced. They are telling me it's recommended every 19K, is this true? That seems a little excessive. So I asked them what exactly do you do when performing this service. They replied change out the fluids and reseal? What the hell are they resealing, the hex nut? Anyway they want $289.95 for the Diff and 129.95 for the case. Kind of high!

I guess I am writing this to ask if I am missing something. Is it as simple as just changing out the fluids? What do they provide. I know they said change fluid and reseal, but for $400.00+ that is a bit steep?

Oh I only have 29k on the Jeep.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Way to high on both counts.

The owners manual says every 30k on the transfer case regardless of usage and every 30k on the differentials if towing.......

So, if you are towing or working it hard, then diff service is due.....but if you are not towing, not yet.
But, I never saw a differential that was unhappy it was serviced, regardless of usage.

If you want to pay to get the fluid services done then you should shop around at a few independent shops or even some of the quick lube places......you should be able to get everything done under about 150.00.

Good luck,
Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by robby; 07-20-2011 at 08:31 PM. Reason: misread post
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Points: 8,689, Level: 62 Points: 8,689, Level: 62 Points: 8,689, Level: 62
Level up: 80% Level up: 80% Level up: 80%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 127,000
well dependent on what 4 wheel drive system you have, the owners manual calls out at what time or milage intervals you should have the fluids changed. In my case i have a 4.7L w/ QDII which uses a set of clutch packs in the diff and I believe the transfer case. I change my front and rear diffs at 15,000 mile intervals and my transfer case I do at 30,000 miles. What they are talking about resealing is the rear diff. cover. when you change the rear diff fluid, you break the seal. So when reinstalling it, you have to reseal it. The transfer case and front diff. both have drain and fill plugs. The fluids are expensive and the price they quoted sounds about right for a dealer.

2006 Jeep Commander Limited 4.7L QD II.....[I]4in Super lift Supension lift, Defender Roof Rack, 285 70R17 ProComp Xtreme Mud Terrain II tires, JK wheels, Rear grab handles, polished throttle body, RCV performance CV Axles, 4X Guard belly guard, front guard, jeepinbyals upper control arms, borla cat back exhaust and LED off road bar 40" and dully D2's.

Last edited by Gulf550; 07-20-2011 at 08:35 PM.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf550 View Post
well dependent on what 4 wheel drive system you have, the owners manual calls out at what time or milage intervals you should have the fluids changed. In my case i have a 4.7L w/ QDII which uses a set of clutch packs in the diff and I believe the transfer case. I change my front and rear diffs at 15,000 mile intervals and my transfer case I do at 30,000 miles. What they are talking about resealing is the rear diff. cover. when you change the rear diff fluid, you break the seal. So when reinstalling it, you have to reseal it. The transfer case and front diff. both have drain and fill plugs. The fluids are expensive and the price they quoted sounds about right.
I probably should have said the price is about par for a dealer to perform the service but can be had for much less if performed by an independent service facility.

Rob

|
|
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-20-2011, 10:38 PM
Points: 39,614, Level: 100 Points: 39,614, Level: 100 Points: 39,614, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Trim Package: Sport
4WD
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Quote:
Originally Posted by winters816 View Post
Okay I went to get my 09 Commanders 4.7 oil changed at the dealership (I get $17 coupons) and they recommended that I get the a Differential / Case serviced. They are telling me it's recommended every 19K, is this true? That seems a little excessive. So I asked them what exactly do you do when performing this service. They replied change out the fluids and reseal? What the hell are they resealing, the hex nut? Anyway they want $289.95 for the Diff and 129.95 for the case. Kind of high!

I guess I am writing this to ask if I am missing something. Is it as simple as just changing out the fluids? What do they provide. I know they said change fluid and reseal, but for $400.00+ that is a bit steep?

Oh I only have 29k on the Jeep.

Thanks
m,

OK, I got a deal for you. A new member special. Next week will will be at Camp Commander West in Buena Vista, Colorado. Show up and we will change your differential fluid for free.

I am donating a case of Amsoil gear lube and some other Amsoil fluids for the raffle. We will hold out enough for your diffs and I am sure that between my tools and all the guys that will be there we can change your fluids.

You might even win some other stuff in the free raffle.

If you live anywhere near Colorado, you might come on by and run some trails with us.

note: That was a new member special so all you other guys need to win your gear lube or trade someone that wins some to get yours changed......

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.

Last edited by HueyPilotVN; 07-20-2011 at 10:40 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by winters816 View Post
...They replied change out the fluids and reseal? What the hell are they resealing, the hex nut? Anyway they want $289.95 for the Diff and 129.95 for the case. Kind of high!
To change the fluid in the rear differential, you have to pull the pan cover off the rear axle, there is NO gasket, you clean the old RTV sealant off the pan and axle, put a new bead of RTV on the pan before putting it back together to seal.

Like mentioned already, those prices are outrageous, god I hate Dealers.

If you can change oil, you can change these fluids, its only slightly more complicated because you need a tube or pump to fill them. Yea, you need a couple dollars worth of hex head sockets for the fill plugs, if you do NOT have them already. If you have to ask what they meant by reseal for changing diff fluid, I've got a feeling you don't have those tools in your tool box.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 04:32 AM
Points: 6,168, Level: 51 Points: 6,168, Level: 51 Points: 6,168, Level: 51
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%

How much diff fluid should i put? Where will i pour the fluid after closing the pan? I have the 5.7 HEMI. How much torque is needed when tightening the bolts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Rocky Road lift and super sliders, 4x Guard, Mopar skid plates, 255 75 17 BFG mud terrain (for fun), K&N air filter, 22 inch wheels (city wheels) chrome gas lid cover/handles, 4X Guard HC. Next mod... flaspaq, roof rack (depends if the XK will fit in the garage).. This JEEP thing is addicting...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 11:13 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDrako View Post
How much diff fluid should i put? Where will i pour the fluid after closing the pan? I have the 5.7 HEMI. How much torque is needed when tightening the bolts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Do a search, torques have already been posted once.

Front Diff, you remove the lower plug to drain, jacking the front of the vehicle up on an incline helps to drain all the fluid, some may stay trapped if its level. Remove the upper plug to fill.

The XFR Case is the same way.

The Rear Dff, requires removing the pan to drain, then removing the rubber plug in the pan to fill.

Yes, all three are in a tough spot that you're NOT going to be able to pour the fluid into the fill holes. You'll to do 1 of 2 things; either get a long tube with funnel pressed into one end, put the tube in the fill hole and pour the fluid through the funnel and tube -OR- get a hand pump for fluids and pump the fluid out of the container into the fill holes.

You can find tubing at any hardware store, clear tubing makes the job easier, so you can see the fluid in it.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,065, Level: 100 Points: 59,065, Level: 100 Points: 59,065, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderDrako View Post
I have the 5.7 HEMI. How much torque is needed when tightening the bolts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16304

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-14900.html

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

kinda curious about that too, the manual states to change the fluid at 18000 miles if the truck is used for towing. I dont really see a number for normal service.

also, to refill the rear diff the level has to be 1" below the fill hole. How crucial is that and why cant it go all the way to the hole? IF the truck is on a lift, doesnt the axle tilt back a bit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in