general trans & fuel service questions - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Points: 8,377, Level: 61 Points: 8,377, Level: 61 Points: 8,377, Level: 61
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2007
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 99380
Garage
general trans & fuel service questions

Hey y'all i searched around on here but had no luck .....

I had a few questions regarding some "dealer recommendations"

trans service
-does the filter need to be changed too?
-can i get the service done at a local shop like midas or firestone ro does the dealer need to perform this?
-is it ok to have it done at a shop using the fluid swaping machine, vs manual drain and fill?

fuel induction service
-what does this entail ?
-is this something a local shop can do as well or is this best to have the dealer do this as well?

Thanks in advance,

Pablo

2007 Limited 5.7 Hemi, AEM CAI, Magnaflow stainless exhaust, Jeepsteel front bumper, WARN ZEON 12-S, Superchips 3875 Flashpack, 3M clearbra, Mopar mesh grille, OME HD lift, TSA AC shield, TSA auxiliary switch plate, TSA rear differential cover, Bora 1.25 wheelspacers, 2015 Willy’s Wrangler take offs, Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT265/70R17 load E, AVS vent visors, de-badged and tinted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

The trans should have its pan removed and filters exchanged.....not much point in changing fluid without filters.
Also, Chrysler has made rather specific instructions to its dealers and independent service facilities that the trans is NOT to be machine flushed.

As far as a 'Injection cleaning service' this is a dealer/repair shop created scam.
No where, in your owners manual or a service manual is this service ever called for.

Use a good brand of fuel, and, if you wish for maintenance of the system, run a fuel injection/fuel system cleaner through it twice a year.
Not necessary, but may head off a problem down the road.

Hope that helped,
Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:43 AM
Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

Hey Robby, What about a fuel filter change?

2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000
1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 AM
Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%

Oh, heres a good one. I spent about 4-5 mins at the pump the other morning. At first i thought it read 11.45 and then I observed it was reading, one gallon and a .45 !
I was like, take that pump out cause i dont want your 1000 gallon tank sludge in my truck
So now, with 53,000 miles, i wonder (A) where is my fuel filter and if its a simple change? My last fuel filter change was back about 1990, in my 1981 mustang Most of my cars never last this long....

2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000
1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,028, Level: 100 Points: 59,028, Level: 100 Points: 59,028, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyNJ View Post
Oh, heres a good one. I spent about 4-5 mins at the pump the other morning. At first i thought it read 11.45 and then I observed it was reading, one gallon and a .45 !
I was like, take that pump out cause i dont want your 1000 gallon tank sludge in my truck
So now, with 53,000 miles, i wonder (A) where is my fuel filter and if its a simple change? My last fuel filter change was back about 1990, in my 1981 mustang Most of my cars never last this long....
See this thread---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13708

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
...As far as a 'Injection cleaning service' this is a dealer/repair shop created scam.
No where, in your owners manual or a service manual is this service ever called for.

Use a good brand of fuel, and, if you wish for maintenance of the system, run a fuel injection/fuel system cleaner through it twice a year.
Not necessary, but may head off a problem down the road.

Hope that helped,
Rob
Just so people don't misunderstand, Fuel Injectors can get dirty and effect performance, BUT, I totally agree, expensive injector cleaner service is a scam. Totally agree with your advice aslo.

I've only noticed some possible symptoms as a vehicle get up past the 150k miles / 8-10 year mark in age, and even then, if it was dirty injectors (remember old spark plugs and ignition wire can give the same symptoms) running a bottle of Chevron Cleaner w/ Techron in the tank cured the problem.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyNJ

See this thread---> https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13708

WileyNJ, sorry you were a little brief in you description, I don't really understood what happened or what you discovered while fueling your vehicle.

The U.S. Gasoline supply has improved in quality drastically over the last few decades. It is pretty uncommon to get bad gas now-a-days, if you you've ever seen the panel off a gas pump, you'd see water traps and filters in it, to do that one more time before finally going in your tank.

That is why manufacturers are NO longer recommending changing fuel filters, they likely can last the life of the vehicle. As well, fuel filter, along with the Engine's Electronic Brain, seems to be one of those that folks always want to jump to conclusions and blame as the problem as soon as they have troubles they can't figure out.

But, if you want to change it, Chrysler went to a fuel filter that is snap-in module on the fuel pump. It may be different on the Commander, so confirm this, but just about every Chrysler since 1999 has been this way.

The fuel filter snaps into fuel pump, on the portion that is on the outside of the fuel tank. So no, you don't have to remove the fuel pump to remove the filter. BUT, since the outer exposed portion of the fuel pump is on the top of the tank, you can't get to it easily.

On my '02 Mini-Van I had to loosen the straps and lower the gas tank quite a bit, before being to get enough room to reach in and unsnap the fuel filter and snap in a new one.

Looking at my Commander's fuel tank, it looks like you would have to do the same thing.

One more note of discouragement, this new kind of fuel filter design by Chrysler, the filter is one integral piece with fuel pressure regulator. So that means you have to pay for a filter and pressure regulator, and likely no aftermarket companies offer it, so you'll likely have to go to the Dealer and pay them $75 or more for a new fuel filter.

Of course, having said all that, I've never changed a Commander Fuel Filter, I'm guessing, if someone comes along and says they've done the job and I'm wrong, listen to them, NOT me.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
Points: 59,028, Level: 100 Points: 59,028, Level: 100 Points: 59,028, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Model year: 2006
4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
But, if you want to change it, Chrysler went to a fuel filter that is snap-in module on the fuel pump. It may be different on the Commander, so confirm this, but just about every Chrysler since 1999 has been this way.
IIRC someone said once that the fuel filter on the Commander was actually in the gas tank.

2006 Steel Blue 5.7L HEMI Limited 4x4 Build Date: June 9, 2006 Hour 14
Interior: Dark Slate/Light Graystone with Saddle Brown Leather Seats
Quadra-Drive II, NAV, DVD, Trailer Tow Group IV, Off-Road Group II, Remote Start, UConnect, Rear Backup Camera, Chrome Wheels,
Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, Daytime Running Lights enabled, 2" Rough Country Lift with 265/70R17 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep5253 View Post
IIRC someone said once that the fuel filter on the Commander was actually in the gas tank.
I'll double check.

Yea, I went through some parts catalogs, the poor copy of the service manual I have and it does indeed look like this is true. They have changed the general design again and it does appear the filter is internal inside the fuel pump.

Last edited by Mongo; 11-19-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in