oil change question - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

oil change question

So something i just thought of. I change my oil in the driveway, which is slanted. On top of that, I drive the jeep up on ramps. So when the oil is draining the carís sitting at a pretty steep angle. 7 quarts always put the level right down the middle of the safe range on the dipstick, may be even slightly lower. Can it be that the angle of the motor is making more oil drain out vs. it being straight, as in on a lift?

2010 Jeep Commander Sport Hemi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Points: 1,493, Level: 21 Points: 1,493, Level: 21 Points: 1,493, Level: 21
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

I've never really thought about it, but it makes sense that the angle would help all of the oil drain out rather than getting some sitting in the pan where it gets stuck. The only real way to tell though is to do an oil change on a slant and empty in to something so you can measure it and next time do it on a lift and measure the capacity coming out then.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-13-2011, 03:23 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Depends on where the drain plug is in the pan. Usually the designers anticipate that people will put the front of the vehicle up in the air to change oil, so the plug is a location to still be at the lowest point if the vehicle is tilted up, it should also be at the lowest level if the vehicle is level.

I've never noticed a difference between jacking the front up or on level ground when it came to oil changes, in all my vehicles. I do NOT have a V8 Commander, though, so maybe it is different.

How long you let it drain, whether the oil is hot or cold, changing the oil filter, etc could effect how much you drain out and thus need to refill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-14-2011, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55 Points: 7,085, Level: 55
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%

yeah I'm pretty sure it's not the pan, but may be the oil drains down from the top of the motor better that way.

2010 Jeep Commander Sport Hemi
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpav7 View Post
yeah I'm pretty sure it's not the pan, but may be the oil drains down from the top of the motor better that way.
That's a good point, a lot of oil collects in the head and drains back to the oil pan. The heads often have to compromise where drains are located, so you could run into a scenario where some oil is trapped in the head and doesn't fully drain out.

Especially with how big Hemi Heads are and how tortured, contorted the valve train is, I could see lots of places to catch oil and NOT let if drain if NOT on level ground.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in