Win 4 free Brake Caliper boots US Only - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Win 4 free Brake Caliper boots US Only

So, I did my brakes last week and noted one of the caliper boots to be worn.
I went on the old Ebay, and found new ones.

I though it was a set of two bushings. It turns out its a set of 4.
I also over ordered, two sets of four. Thats where you get to win.

The first post to tell me.
1. How do I install a new brake caliper boot. Just pull off the old, regrease, and reinstall the new?

2. Can I use bearing grease, high tempature? I have a tube from a gas dryer i fixed, and not to be too cheap , Figured i would ask if that may be ok to use?

I take it I can pull off the old boot, install one end, and regrease into the boot and then reseal it?

Not to sure so i figured I would go to the source and ask.

If you live in the US and dont cost me a ton in shipping, i will glady show my appreciation by sending you the other set of four.

My commander is a 2006, 3.7....so not sure if all boots are compatible or not.

2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Heres a interesting note. The (white) pack of bushings had a "silcone lubricant/PTFE) pack with itm which the other did not.
I remember in another thread it said NOT, to use a silcone base lube... Hum....

2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Silicone lube is fine for the caliper slide boots....in addition to making the install a slice it acts as a preservative.

Your assumption is correct, pull out the old, clean the bore with a rolled rag and and slide the lube coated boots back in position.
Coat the bolts that slide through the boots with lube too during assembly.

BTW, coating means like fingerpainting, no blobs allowed LOL.

I'm in good shape for spares so if you found my advice helpful feel free to give your extra bits to another member in need.

Rob

|
|

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Points: 39,614, Level: 100 Points: 39,614, Level: 100 Points: 39,614, Level: 100
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: HueyPilotVN
Somehow I knew that Robby would have the answers to the replacement steps and I also expected him to pay it forward with the spares. Robby is a great asset on this forum.

2007 Jeep Green Limited 4.7 Flex Fuel, RR 2.5" 4 inch Superlift coils on rear, 1.5" Spacers, Bridgestone 265/70/17, K&N CAI, Flowmaster, Diamond Plate Locking Trunk, Blue Ox Baseplate w/D-rings, "Get Lost 4X4" Front Bumper, T-Max 9000 winch, "Get Lost rear tire carrier, 30 gal second gas tank.
Second 2007 Jeep Green Limited Leather HEMI QDII VES Uconnect Flowmaster OEM Skids Tow Package

Maybe the two will meet up soon edit: they did , I now have 2,now gave 1 away...and got it back again.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

I never know how to (or if) respond to that type of compliment Huey.....but, thankyou.

You also display the 'pay it forward' mentality......I think it is how we're wired or something.....I never really give it much thought.

But, if another member needs these, well, here's an opportunity.

Rob

|
|
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-30-2011, 10:35 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

i dont need them but both of you fine gentlemen deserve a compliment youve done a good deed and indeed are great assets on this forum

2006 jeep commander many mods.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. If anyone reads this down the road and needs spares, Ill fill to order. I have to check the front, but if they check ok, then Ill keep the 7 left and disperse as needed.
So just PM me and address and how ever many you need (anyone reading in the future).
Thanks Rob...

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WileyNJ View Post
Heres a interesting note. The (white) pack of bushings had a "silcone lubricant/PTFE) pack with itm which the other did not.
I remember in another thread it said NOT, to use a silcone base lube... Hum....
Some hi-temp silicone lube is NOT compatible with some rubbers used for the boots. Many slicone lubes and rubber boots are compatible.

If the silicone lube came with the boots, its a safe bet they are compatible and you will NOT have any problems.

If its specifically Brake Hi-Temp Silicone Lube and the manuals say its OK to use Brake Silicone lube, again you should be OK.

If you don't know for sure, and its NOT a lube that came with the boots, I'd play it safe and use brake lube that is petroleum (soap/lithuim) based.

The only time I have had a problem is the funky brakes on my mini-van that had rubber bushing fitted over the ends of the Caliper Pins. For some reason, the hi-temp SILICONE brake grease caused those little bushings to swell up and it was a bear of job to get the pins out of the calipers. Other non-silicone brake lubes did NOT cause the same reaction.

I have used the "Brake" Hi-Temp Silicone lube on the same boots you have in the picture, on other Chrysler Vehicles, and did NOT have a problem, they acted just like other hi-temp greases.

Last edited by Mongo; 12-05-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in