Transmission part QTI What is it? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53 Points: 6,654, Level: 53
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Transmission part QTI What is it?

So I was psyched to do my own transfer case fluid change.
I went to the dealer, who gave me two quarts of NV245, But I returned them, as I have the QTI, and only the 4.7 and hemi use that. My little girl engine takes the Mopar ATF-4 fluid. kudos to me for making sure right.

Then I made sure I had a 10MM hex. Wanted to get the ratchet style, to be cool. But It does not fit do to this part in the way?

What is that part to the right of the driveshaft, connected by four bolts?
Wondering if I could have un bolted it? Didnt not seem to be connected other than just the 4 bolts.....what is its purpose?

Needless to say could not find my reg hex wrenchs so project delayed.
Questions are :

I presume I have the right fluid atf4 for the transfer case?

What is this cylindrical part?

2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

damper case NV140 transmission QTI

Im guessing its the "damper case"

I guess the "damper case".

Seems like its the right thing to remove to drain...

2006 Jeep Commander Light Khaki 3.7 Baby Engine with Fake 5.7 Stickers...Saved me $4000
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1.5 inch SPACERS(spidertrak), and Rocky Road 2.5 lift and shocks. Nitto Terra Grapplers 265/70/17's (required pinch weld to be cut to reduce rubbing)

Last edited by WileyNJ; 12-07-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: recorrecting image
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60 Points: 8,101, Level: 60
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%

Yes, it's just a vibration damper... you can easily remove it which will make changing the transfer case fluid easier.

FYI- make sure you take out the FILL plug before taking out the drain plug. Although rare, if the fill plug is seized in there and you drain the fluid, you'r SOL.

-Matt

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice Matt. Yep, I loosen that one first to be sure. Then when I went to see about # 2, I was like WTF I cant get to it. Then I considered the damper removal, but I never noticed anyone mention it, probably cause I am a 1st time Jeep buyer and got a 3.7 with QT-1
But, my next will have a bigger engine and QT2 at the very least. If Obama wants to give me a year tax free Ill make it happen sooner than latter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/23-regular-service-maintenance/17069-transmission-part-qti-what.html
Posted By For Type Date
Transfer case -odd device, what is that? - Jeep Cherokee Forum This thread Refback 11-25-2016 12:24 AM