Jeep Commander Forum banner

Transmission part QTI What is it?

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  WileyNJ 
#1 ·
So I was psyched to do my own transfer case fluid change.
I went to the dealer, who gave me two quarts of NV245, But I returned them, as I have the QTI, and only the 4.7 and hemi use that. My little girl engine takes the Mopar ATF-4 fluid. kudos to me for making sure right.

Then I made sure I had a 10MM hex. Wanted to get the ratchet style, to be cool. But It does not fit do to this part in the way?

What is that part to the right of the driveshaft, connected by four bolts?
Wondering if I could have un bolted it? Didnt not seem to be connected other than just the 4 bolts.....what is its purpose?

Needless to say could not find my reg hex wrenchs so project delayed.
Questions are :

I presume I have the right fluid atf4 for the transfer case?

What is this cylindrical part?

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
damper case NV140 transmission QTI

Im guessing its the "damper case"

I guess the "damper case".

Seems like its the right thing to remove to drain...

#3 ·
Yes, it's just a vibration damper... you can easily remove it which will make changing the transfer case fluid easier.

FYI- make sure you take out the FILL plug before taking out the drain plug. Although rare, if the fill plug is seized in there and you drain the fluid, you'r SOL.

#4 ·
Thanks for the advice Matt. Yep, I loosen that one first to be sure. Then when I went to see about # 2, I was like WTF :) I cant get to it. Then I considered the damper removal, but I never noticed anyone mention it, probably cause I am a 1st time Jeep buyer and got a 3.7 with QT-1 :)
But, my next will have a bigger engine and QT2 at the very least. If Obama wants to give me a year tax free Ill make it happen sooner than latter. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.