wipers cycle on startup - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Points: 10,133, Level: 67 Points: 10,133, Level: 67 Points: 10,133, Level: 67
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Activity: 36% Activity: 36% Activity: 36%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 83k
wipers cycle on startup

Not every time, but once in a while. The wipers cycle once by themselves on start-up. It's like they did not park all the way. I do not think they had been in use the last time this happened. Has this happened to anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65 Points: 9,430, Level: 65
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Happens to me every once and awhile. I don't think it's a sign of failing equipment because its always happened to me with various irregularity. Probably and internal reset or dust/dirt on glass.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40 Points: 4,059, Level: 40
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%

Its a communication issue with the vehicle. Some electrical functions default in a certain safe mode. such as the wipers being on when theirs a problem. Its probably a momentary problem, that finally starts to work properly. Mine does the same thing every now & then.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredNoobGoat View Post
Happens to me every once and awhile. I don't think it's a sign of failing equipment because its always happened to me with various irregularity. Probably and internal reset or dust/dirt on glass.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
My vehicle does not have the rain sensing wipers.

Last edited by johnc; 01-22-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: syntax
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

Have you've checked for stored fault codes?

Low voltage will cause semi-conductors to work very weird, as well, cause communications fault on the bus.

So, you could have a weak battery that's voltage drops too low on start up.

If you are getting stored fault codes for "Battery disconnected with the last 50 start cycles", I'd suspect the battery. Sometimes people get them on Chrysler vehicles when nothing at all is wrong with them and they haven't disconnected the battery in well more than 50 starts. I've always suspected it happens with a weak battery, where voltage drops so low during start the PCM cuts out just like the battery had been disconnected. And often, a new battery will cause that stored fault code to go away.

It could be totally different, but its something to check into at least.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81 Points: 16,022, Level: 81
Level up: 35% Level up: 35% Level up: 35%

Trim Package: Limited
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165,000
happening ocassionally since new in 06
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

4WD
I did the key dance today, and no fault codes appeared. I can check later for the battery condition. I had a battery start to fail about a year ago, and I got false transmission problems displayed on the dash readout, so I replaced the battery. The wiper thing must be a chryco electrical gremlin. They just don't seem to get it right: The '68 chryco products had a quirk where you could play the radio without the key by turning on the flashers, signaling for a turn, and pushing on the brake. Years later, I had a '70s dodge p/u act like it was dieseling after shutoff. Turns out, it was the same "radio without the key" deal, but the coil was staying hot after shutdown. The engine would run for as long as the flasher was activated and the brake was on. Just enough time to sputter after it was shut off.
And now they are owned an italian company-italian electrics are second only to cars with lucas systems!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:23 AM
Points: 6,374, Level: 52 Points: 6,374, Level: 52 Points: 6,374, Level: 52

Model year: 2008
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
4WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
Current Mileage: 165000
I get this once in awhile on my 06 also. It's annoying in spring time when all the bugs are out and you get bugs on your windshield and it just spreads that crap all over.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
I did the key dance today, and no fault codes appeared. I can check later for the battery condition. I had a battery start to fail about a year ago, and I got false transmission problems displayed on the dash readout, so I replaced the battery. The wiper thing must be a chryco electrical gremlin. They just don't seem to get it right: The '68 chryco products had a quirk where you could play the radio without the key by turning on the flashers, signaling for a turn, and pushing on the brake. Years later, I had a '70s dodge p/u act like it was dieseling after shutoff. Turns out, it was the same "radio without the key" deal, but the coil was staying hot after shutdown. The engine would run for as long as the flasher was activated and the brake was on. Just enough time to sputter after it was shut off.
That is truly pecular, because if you look at the wiring diagrams, there is no way such a thing could possibly happen. My '69 chryco product has never done it, but in that era, you would be correct to comment they did NOT have the most reliable charging systems.

Bad ignition switches or relays, that warmed up a bit from heat from under-capacity adjacent circuits caused them to contact?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc View Post
And now they are owned an italian company-italian electrics are second only to cars with lucas systems!
Well, only Chrysler models that were re-branded/redesigned Fiat models would this be a concern, and there will be a few, how much the Italian design be carried into the American designs over the next few years we'll have to see. Chrysler, like most manufacturers, are a design using components from the world market and you'll find American/German/Japanese/Canadian and all other nations producing one component or the other. Don't know if the Italians do it differently.

You certainly can find a lot Mercedes Technology in many Chrysler Products today, as well I think you can find Jeep Technology in some Mercedes products.

Yes, funny joke I heard about British Electric Systems, John Lucas, CEO of Lucas that provides all the electrical components to British Vehicles is quoted as saying;
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lucas
Electricity is merely smoke moving within the wires, I know this because I observed that when the smoke leaks out of the wires, my components stop working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Mongo; 01-24-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in