leaky water pump - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 27% Activity: 27% Activity: 27%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
Smile leaky water pump

Been noticing the coolant level in overflow has been down slightly the past year and have topped off a couple times. Went out yesterday morning, in the COLD drizzle, 39deg. to check thefluids before beginning the day and saw that the level was down again, and this time saw droplets of fluid on the pan underneath. Followed the drops to the water pump and there was the leak, top right side. Called Advanced auto. They had a KMG for $50. Went online and read the reviews on this brand, and all 19 reviews were positive and satisfied. It looked identical to Chrysler. It has a ceramic seal, composite impeller and aluminum body. Just like the original.

The changout was very easy, with the 3.7l, the entire front engine is acessible. Used the tensioner to loosen and remove the belt, removed a lower pully and took out the bolts to the pump, came right off. Caught the fluid in a large pan for recycle. Smeared a small amount of RTV silicone sealant on the new gasket and installed, put the pully back and slid the belt into place. Ran the engine til the thermostat opened and topped off the rad with Mopar antifreeze. It took close to 1 gal.

A very simple repair, even in the ice cold Pittsburgh rain!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Its hard to judge a water pump by appearance, if you've got online reviews that would provide me some confidence.

Stay away from AirTex waterpumps or anything from airtex. I had an AirTex waterpump fail on my chrysler 2.0L DOHC, where the water pump is on the timing belt, after only 42k miles and bent all the valves in the motor. The OEM water pump that was still good at 176k mi would probably have lasted longer than the new airtex waterpump.

I just replaced a fuel pump on my daughters XJ, and googled the airtex fuel pump, found nothing but one statement after another saying AirTex Fuel pumps don't last more than a year, pretty much the same as the water pumps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Good to know.
I remember reading awhile ago about after market water pumps and their unreliability. It was suggested to go with the Chrysler OEM. But after reading all the positive reviews, and much lower price, I figured why not. hope it lasts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%

Getting a replacement water pump can be tricky. Most of the time replacement water pumps (non OEM)are re-manufactured with very little quality inspection. The best advise I have is to try to find a new pump instead of a reman. Reman's most likely have been heated intensively because of failure and/or the engine it was on has been severely overheated. They tend to have warped gasket surfaces or have "Out of Round" bearing seats, leading to premature bearing failure or leaking. I don't know for sure these days but OEM replacements are new castings, were aftermarket brands are returned cores that have been rebuilt. Aftermarket companies generally don't have the rights to produce new castings. Even if this repair is an easy one in regards to accessibility, having to do anything twice just sucks. And Ya Pittsburgh rain in January also stinks. C'mon snow!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

rhobll: How many miles are on your 2006 3.7L? I am just trying to get an idea if/when my pump fails.

I will be buying an OEM pump when the time comes after reading rwmorrisonjr's problems with his GMB water pump from Advance.

First thread: Identifying the problem (failed OE water pump).
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15782

Second thread: Finding out aftermarket pump was the cause of coolant loss for the second time.
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ght=water+pump

2006 Black 65th Anniversary Edition
3.7L V6
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
rhobll: How many miles are on your 2006 3.7L? I am just trying to get an idea if/when my pump fails.

I will be buying an OEM pump when the time comes after reading rwmorrisonjr's problems with his GMB water pump from Advance.

First thread: Identifying the problem (failed OE water pump).
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ad.php?t=15782

Second thread: Finding out aftermarket pump was the cause of coolant loss for the second time.
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ght=water+pump

Sorry, it was a GMB. I have 62.5k and running strong. The pump is new and not remanufactered. After reading the threads, hopefully I will not end up regretting " cheaping out".
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 04:32 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
I hope not either. Good luck, I learned the hard way that OEM is better and worth the cost sometimes.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

rwmorrisonjr: Do you know if they changed the design of the water pump? The could have changed the part number which is a good sign they made changes to the pump.

2006 Black 65th Anniversary Edition
3.7L V6
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 06:51 PM
Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73 Points: 12,498, Level: 73

Send a message via AIM to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via MSN to rwmorrisonjr Send a message via Yahoo to rwmorrisonjr
bob, I don't know, I threw mine away when I removed it. The problem was the gasket groove was cut about 1/16" too deep, so the gasket sank in and wouldn't seal properly. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

2006 XK Sport, 4.7l, QTII- many mods
----------------------------------------------------
'An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."- Robert A. Heinlein

"Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 07:36 AM
Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9 Points: 475, Level: 9
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%

While I'm sitting in class last night I get a text from my wife telling me the "hood is steaming"...I knew the water pump let go. We have been hearing what sounded like a bad bearing near that area for some time but could never quite pin point it. Looking at it in the dark last night, it is the pump for sure.

Tonight ill be doing the water pump on the 3.7. I'm pretty mechanically savvy and do 90% of my own work and have for years...but I read somewhere that there is a bolt behind the pulley? Is that true?

I would like to HOPE its just a simple, release the tension bolt, pop off the pump...looked like about 10 bolts... put a little instagasket on the pump, pop it back on, tighten up the belt and filler it back up.

47,000 miles and the water pump is already toast. Let the fun begin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in