Need new front pads, also want to replace rotors - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54 Points: 6,782, Level: 54
Level up: 16% Level up: 16% Level up: 16%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Need new front pads, also want to replace rotors

So my front pads were at around 4mm 3 months ago. I have no idea what they're at now, but I don't add a lot of miles on my Jeep. I've driven about 1,500 miles since then. The rear pads are practically new, though they do squeak (only when I pull out of my garage slowly which is on a slight slope -- not sure why this happens, could be related to the cold).

Anyway, I would like to get the front pads and front and rear rotors replaced. The rear rotors look rusted to hell and are very unattractive. The front are somewhat aged looking, but not as bad as the rear, so I figure why not just replace them too.

I was looking at this kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Performance-...ht_5452wt_1396

It looks fairly promising, but it is a bit cheap to my understanding -- could this be a bad thing? A quick Google of the company name produced no obvious negative reviews or anything, plus they're 99.9% rated on Ebay. Everything has a 120 day warranty (seller, not mfr. I think the pads have a 3 year/36k mile mfr. warranty), and the rotors are 1 year with the pads provided (speaking of that, should I change the rear pads too with these or just leave the ones in there now?)

Lastly, how much should I expect to have these installed? I don't have the tools to do this myself or the know-how, but some friends of mine do, so I could go that route (not sure if I want to though).

If you guys have any suggestions for me, I'm open to them.

Thanks!

Last edited by Nitemare3219; 02-17-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 06:25 PM
Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69 Points: 11,044, Level: 69
Level up: 49% Level up: 49% Level up: 49%

That is a good price! I will be watching to see what other say...

2008 Jeep Green Rocky Mountain 4x4 4.7L, 245/65 R17 Fortera's,
class IV tow package w/shackle, front tow hooks, remote start,
MyGig w/backup cam, bun warmers, commandview, QTII,
Rocky Road Super Sliders (now installed and tested!), no lift, full Jeep OEM skid plates,
4xGuard Belly Guard, 4xGuard front skid, Surco 50 x 70 roof rack.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I just hope it isn't a case of you get what you pay for. I want these rotors to last me for the rest of my use of the vehicle (4-5 years) and the pads at least 40,000 miles. I don't do any extreme street racing or anything, and I've only hard braked maybe twice since I've had the vehicle. For my purposes, I'd assume this kit would be fine.

I called several places around here. They want anywhere from $400-$550 for their parts and install, or $140-$200 for my parts installed. The cheapest one is a local shop, but the other two that would install my parts are Tuffy and Grismer. Any general opinions on those two shops?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 AM
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

I would be cautious of ebay rotors and pads. these are made in china, but so are many oem parts and parts store brake parts. however, you can trust the brands at the parts store especially since some of them have been available for decades to us under the same brand names.

also if you buy pads at the parts store, most have lifetime warranties, that means you bring back the receipt and a box of worn down pads, and they will give you a new set for free, sometimes over and over again. you simply can't do that on ebay.

also sure they have good reviews and a good return policy, but you can only leave feedback up to 60 days, most people probably don't even notice their rotors cracking at the slots and warping. most people cannot even recognize the symptoms of warped rotors. in the end, you will end up spending more money with inferior parts.

On their return policy, how many customers do you think would actually pull off their warped rotors and pads to ship them back, while having their vehicle down. 120 days is nothing, parts store parts have lifetime warranties.

if you can, compare the thickness of the rotor and vanes from a OEM rotor to that ebay one, you will notice much more material on the OEM, which is the main reason OEM usually do not warp. Most parts store rotors are thinner too, so your only choice is dealer rotors but if you only need 4 more yrs out of the jeep then I would not dish out the money for OEM rotors.

Lastly, since parts store let you exchange old pads for new ones, I would opt for a mid to top grade pad mainly to have less dust and squealing. also the parts store can check your current rotors, if they are within spec of thickness, they can make them true for about 10 dollars each. so best case scenario, you clean up your rotors for 40 dollars, and spend 20 dollars for front pads and 20 dollars for rear pads (low grade lifetime warranty), so for 80 dollars you are all set, and with simple hand tools and a jack, you can do all the brakes on a Saturday afternoon. the benefit of doing them yourself, is that you can inspect other components, grease the slide pins, and use some quiet lube on the pads, and inspect your brake fluid condition.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Well as I said, I'd like new rotors because the OEM ones are showing their age. No problems braking though, it's flawless as is. More-less I just want the rotors replaced because they're fugly with all that rust.

I also figured that the pads on that package deal were pretty good quality (you'll pay somewhere around $60 for front or rear kit if you buy separate).
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2012, 10:42 PM
Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25 Points: 1,840, Level: 25
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%

the economy pads at any national chain store are about 20 dollars a set, so 40 for the whole jeep. u can take back the old pads the next day and get new ones for free, so u just spent 40 dollars on 8 pairs of pads.

all rotors rust , unless u get zinc coated ones. the 10 dollar rotor service at the store makes them shiny like new. I just did this on my fathers 06 caravan with original rotors with 110k miles, look brand new and I trust em more than brand new eBay rotors made by a Chinese boy.

if u want them to be less rusty in the future , paint the center section with black rotor paint.

2009 F350 Twin Turbo PSD CC 4x4 (572hp/1161tq)
2006 Commander Hemi Limited QDII
2004 Ram Hemi 4x4 QC longbed
1997 Wrangler 4.0L/5spd/4"lift/33s/4.10s/lockers

Last edited by grandwagoneer; 02-23-2012 at 10:44 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Those rotors in the package are zinc coated. Also, I didn't know that when they turn the rotors it makes the whole thing look practically new?

I doubt that they could be turned though. They are fairly old, so it's probably already been done once, if not twice.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59 Points: 7,761, Level: 59
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

If you take it into the shop a good mechanic can measure the rotors and let you know if there is enough material to turn them again or not and if you need to replace them. If you are not doing the work yourself I would go to the shop so they can tell you what you need, what you dont, get it all done and you have the warranty on parts and labor. Its worth the cost and its the last time you will worry about the brakes on your jeep no matter what

'06 HEMI LIMITED LOADED QDII DE-BADGED, TINT, SILVERSTAR ULTRAS, LED TAILS, R/C LIFT, BILSTEINS, KMC XD HOSS WHEELS, DURATRACS, MAGNAFLOW, K&N CAI and OIL FILTER, ROYAL PURPLE, HAWK HPS PADS, RED CALIPERS, LEDs BEHIND GRILLE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in