Rust on 4.7L Oil Pan - Take a Look - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Points: 9,749, Level: 66 Points: 9,749, Level: 66 Points: 9,749, Level: 66
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 4.7L V-8
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-II
Current Mileage: 175,000
Rust on 4.7L Oil Pan - Take a Look

Today during an oil change, I noticed some spot rusting that has started on the oil pan of our 2006 4.7L. I live in the snow/salt belt, so normally I wouldn't be concerned, but this seems like more than just surface rust to me. A couple spots are bubbling. It hasn't been that salty this winter...

I'm concerned this may have some relation to acidic oil? Not sure. Let me know what you guys think. I've been doing Mobil 1 oil changes with the stock filters every 5k since we purchased the vehicle w/36k miles. It now has 90k. My wife is the primary driver. The vehicle is driven according to the severe duty schedule in that she makes a lot of short trips- on a daily basis. Probably 80% are short trips. 5k miles takes about 5 months. So I guess I'm wondering if condensation is not burning out consistently. That is my hypothesis. Not great for the engine. Either way (whether it is acid/water related or simply surface rust and I'm making this out to be bigger than it is) I'm planning on installing a new pan in the early spring. Maybe I should adhere to every 3 months instead of going by miles..

Today I switched over to Amsoil signature series 5W-30 fully synthetic from the Mobil 1 synthetic.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by dmoser; 02-19-2012 at 03:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

My pan looks just as nasty......I too am up in the salt belt.
If it was rust through, there would be corresponding seepage.....as you have noted, there is none.

I think it is nothing more than a cheezy paint job....No primer or anything, so it will delaminate over a rather short time.
The continual heat/cool cycles add to the problem as the paint cracks due to expansion and contraction of the metal.

This is the downside of a leak free vehicle....LOL. I remember years back Oldsmobile V-8's were exceptionally dry engines and the ones that made ten or more years frequently did rust their pans out.
And, yes, they did begin to stain leak out from the bubbled areas.

Since these are still considered young vehicles and the rust is minor in nature, this spring I intend to just scrape off the lifted paint and shoot it with rustoleum.
This might become part of my springtime, undo winter things to do proceedure.

As far as the corrosion from the inside out thoughts......I think the pan would have to be full of water for several years before it actually succeeded in a actual rustout.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by robby; 02-19-2012 at 09:58 PM.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Thanks Rob. I guess I just sort of freaked out a little about it, and then after posting realized for that to happen it would be an anomaly and I was just over thinking it.

I still think I might replace the pan in the spring, though, as long as it's not a huge job. The one big spot on the corner next to the drain is bubbling up pretty good and I think a quick fix would only last a year or two before it was right back where it is now. When I pushed on it lightly, it seemed a bit "soft". Like I said, we have 90k now and my goal is 200k+ for the vehicle (we're on the Dave Ramsey plan..). If I buy a new one, I'll probably add paint or even a powder coat. I've found them from online Jeep dealers for just a tad over $100.

The hard lines on the steering rack also look like they're starting to rust out. I'm sure they don't sell those apart from an entirely new steering rack, so I'll probably make up some lines.

The rest of the vehicle is very good. We didn't have any undercoating added when we bought it. I am very careful about keeping the salt off. It won't go more than a day or two with salt on/under it.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
This is the downside of a leak free vehicle....LOL
Maybe I should be coating the pan in oil at every change!
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 PM

Regarding the lines on the rack....mine look the same as well....till I saw it happening.
They have a rather good wall thickness though and my thoughts regarding severe rust are about the same....ten years without prevention.
The oil pan metal is about double the body sheet metal thickness.
I think the body is 24ga. H.S.L.A. (High Strenth Low Alloy for those wondering) whereas the pan is 16 or 18ga mild sheet steel.....hence the propensity for corrosion.

I spray a product called Boshield on the lines and aluminum parts.....heck, I'm lieing, I spray it all over the underbody....anywhere there are panels overlapping I drown the area.
The thing drips for a week.

Boshield is a product, developed by Boeing Aircraft, to stop corrosion between dissimilar metals and is usually found in Marine supply stores.
This, because it is a very good salt blocker.
Not cheap....around twenty bucks a can.....goes on like penetrating oil but after a day or so dries and leaves a transparent coating behind.....but not gooey.
Works well as a lubricant as well.

I generally pressure wash the bottomside every spring and a day or two later I use this product.

I 've got a rustfree 96 Blazer that is testimony to its effectivness.

Rob

|
|
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:24 PM

Sterling Hts. eh?

Back when I worked for G.M. I had an office there, near the training center.

That would be in the early ninetys......my, how time do fly.

Rob

|
|
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Quote:
Regarding the lines on the rack....mine look the same as well....till I saw it happening.
They have a rather good wall thickness though and my thoughts regarding severe rust are about the same....ten years without prevention.
The oil pan metal is about double the body sheet metal thickness.
I think the body is 24ga. H.S.L.A. (High Strenth Low Alloy for those wondering) whereas the pan is 16 or 18ga mild sheet steel.....hence the propensity for corrosion.

I spray a product called Boshield on the lines and aluminum parts.....heck, I'm lieing, I spray it all over the underbody....anywhere there are panels overlapping I drown the area.
The thing drips for a week.

Boshield is a product, developed by Boeing Aircraft, to stop corrosion between dissimilar metals and is usually found in Marine supply stores.
This, because it is a very good salt blocker.
Not cheap....around twenty bucks a can.....goes on like penetrating oil but after a day or so dries and leaves a transparent coating behind.....but not gooey.
Works well as a lubricant as well.

I generally pressure wash the bottomside every spring and a day or two later I use this product.

I 've got a rustfree 96 Blazer that is testimony to its effectivness.

Rob
I'll check it out. So you apply it every year? I'm assuming the pressure washing is to rid of any dirt, but what if there are small areas of rust. I have an abrasive blaster- would you recommend blasting the rust off and then applying this? I generally don't like the idea of spraying anything over already rusted areas..
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 PM
Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40

Quote:
Sterling Hts. eh?

Back when I worked for G.M. I had an office there, near the training center.

That would be in the early ninetys......my, how time do fly.

Rob
And I'm in Warren. In the shadow of the GM Tech Center.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:46 PM

I found that it arrests the spots that show corrosion and just spray over it.
Moniter it, of course, but it seems to halt the progress.

I would not recommend a abrasive cleaning for fear of compromising the anti-corrosion coatings that are undamaged.
The pressure washing is to remove dirt and whatever salt may remain.

I, like you, rinse the undercarrage about once a week as long as the ambient temperature will be above freezing for at least 24 hours and have found, once it dries, salt leaching out of the seams the next day.....very depressing, but a fact of life in the snow belt.
But, if you don't,(rinse) you already know what it'll look like when it is approaching ten years of winters......gloom.

Rob

|
|
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

4WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in