2007 4.7L About to hit 100k - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Points: 2,017, Level: 27 Points: 2,017, Level: 27 Points: 2,017, Level: 27
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

2007 4.7L About to hit 100k

I have had my Red Rock 4.7 2WD ever since new and outside of a few oil changes, she hasn't let me down. However, it is time to freshen her up a bit to make sure that she runs another 100k!

Some issues that I have been dealing with:

1) The transmission "bangs" really hard upshifting when I approach stop signs/lights. It has done this since about 60k and I have just lived with it. But now I can hear a "wrrrrrrrrr" noise also coming from under the car in combination with that and I feel I am on borrowed time.

2) The car has begun to run a bit "rough" at idle but with original plugs/wires, and everything else I can't seem to blame her. She has been an "on road" Commander nearly her entire life, and most of the 90K+ has been highway.

I have my tax return that hit yesterday, and I have some $$ I can allot to Commander repairs/upgrades. I am currently using Castrol GTX High Mileage with success, and would be open to some things to get done at this time. I can turn some wrenches on my own, but quite frankly my schedule doesn't allow me much time under the hood anymore, so "stealership" is likely where I will take her.

Feedback Appreciated!

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68 Points: 10,821, Level: 68
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%

Change all the fluids trans TC both difs and radiator. New plugs wires PCV and stuff like that should freshen it up. The trans problem if you've never changed the fluid could be an issue that goes for the drive train as well. I'm not surprised its shifting real hard you should of at least had two trasn services by now following the schedule you should of had three services so you way behind hopefully you didn't cause any damage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stop by and like the page

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I figure I am in for at least an OD servo or Vehicle Speed Sensor. Tough to figure if I have done damage (I suspect that I have) until they break it open.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Points: 1,706, Level: 24 Points: 1,706, Level: 24 Points: 1,706, Level: 24
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%

Send a message via AIM to mrnavy2
Sal, thanks for letting us know. I just purchased a 08 Limited 4x4 with 92k. I am not sure what was done but according to the FAX it had been serviced many times. I am assuming just oil changes. But I will change the fluids myself. Thanks again.

Once a Battleship Sailor always a Battleship Sailor.

I am US Navy Retired, 1976 - 1996
and Proud to have served

OUR COUNTRY
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtex01gt View Post
I have had my Red Rock 4.7 2WD ever since new and outside of a few oil changes, she hasn't let me down. However, it is time to freshen her up a bit to make sure that she runs another 100k!

Some issues that I have been dealing with:

1) The transmission "bangs" really hard upshifting when I approach stop signs/lights. It has done this since about 60k and I have just lived with it. But now I can hear a "wrrrrrrrrr" noise also coming from under the car in combination with that and I feel I am on borrowed time.

2) The car has begun to run a bit "rough" at idle but with original plugs/wires, and everything else I can't seem to blame her. She has been an "on road" Commander nearly her entire life, and most of the 90K+ has been highway.

I have my tax return that hit yesterday, and I have some $$ I can allot to Commander repairs/upgrades. I am currently using Castrol GTX High Mileage with success, and would be open to some things to get done at this time. I can turn some wrenches on my own, but quite frankly my schedule doesn't allow me much time under the hood anymore, so "stealership" is likely where I will take her.

Feedback Appreciated!

Jeremy
If you had it from new you have a lifetime powertrain warranty that came with the deal.
Let the dealer fix the trans.....for free.

As far as the plugs....tsk tsk.....you should be installing the fourth set of plugs by now.....supposed to be every 30k....I'm surprised it isn't throwing all kinds of misfire codes.
No plug wires to deal with on this engine so you're good there.
Time for coolant and drive belt......If you haven't been towing the rear end doesn't call for service but IMO you really should change the fluid for peice of mind.

Assuming you are replacing the air filter every now and again, no worries there.

As far a servicing the trans, it'll get its oil dumped at inspection and if there is any major component replacement they will reassemble it with new filters anyways......like I said, that all falls under powertrain warranty.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Rob

|
|
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Rob,
I have a 2007 and purchased it before CJD started the "lifetime powertrain" warranty. So this stuff will be on me. I could easily change the plugs myself (I have done it on my other cars) so I can just rely on the dealership for the fluid changes?

Getting an AFE off of Amazon this week...will likely change the plugs at the same time as installation of the air system and get 2 with 1.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midtex01gt View Post
Rob,
I have a 2007 and purchased it before CJD started the "lifetime powertrain" warranty. So this stuff will be on me. I could easily change the plugs myself (I have done it on my other cars) so I can just rely on the dealership for the fluid changes?

Getting an AFE off of Amazon this week...will likely change the plugs at the same time as installation of the air system and get 2 with 1.
Sure, you can have the dealer (or any quality independent) handle the fluid changes.
Avoid flushing.....anything IMO.
Have seen flushing cooling systems wipe out heater cores in a few weeks after the fact so, a simple drain and fill is my suggestion.
Avoid having the transmission flushed.....this is my opinion and backed up by a service bulletin sent to all CJD dealers.
A pan drop with both filters replaced is the recommended proceedure......like you said though, there are some transmission diagnostics in order.
So, it'll get its pan dropped as a matter of course.

Rob

|
|
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM

Rob, is it easy to drop the pan and replace both filters? The Transmission has 2 filters? And how many quarts to put back in?

and Proud to have served

OUR COUNTRY
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnavy2 View Post
Rob, is it easy to drop the pan and replace both filters? The Transmission has 2 filters? And how many quarts to put back in?
Yes, it is a straightforward pan drop.
Currently you don't have a gasket.....it is sealed with a band of RTV (I hate that stuff....cause I'm old fashioned)
I believe fel pro is offering a actual gasket.
Your trans has one spin on filter and one panel filter which are exposed once the pan is down.
Be gentle replacing the panel filter....it is known to be a bit fragile and can crack, causing a shift engagement delay.

As far as capacity.....I don't know for certain....a guess would be between 4 to 6 qts. but there is a video posted regarding the 4.7/5.7 trans service (same trans 2wd or 4wd)

You have some thread searching ahead of you.

Rob

|
|
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM

Thanks Rob.

and Proud to have served

OUR COUNTRY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in