ETC and ESP/TCS Flashing - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68 Points: 10,542, Level: 68
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Limited
Power-Train: 5.7L V-8 Hemi
2WD
If 4WD - system: QD-II
ETC and ESP/TCS Flashing

Has anyone had this problem? I was accelerating to merge onto the freeway when another car cut in front of me to get on the on-ramp. I lifted my foot off the gas and the car felt like it was downshifting aggressively. I looked down at the instrument cluster and the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) light was flashing and the ESP/TCS (Electronic Stability Program/Traction Control System) light was on steady. The a/c started blowing ambient air (not cooling) and the engine ran really rough, almost stalling. It also made a put-put-put sound. Luckily, I was 1/4 mile from a Jeep dealership, so I limped in and left Large Marge there. The dealership is closed today, so I won't be able to get it diagnosed by them until tomorrow sometime.

Has anyone had this problem? The manual says the following:

"Electronic Throttle Control (ETC) Warning Light — If Equipped
This light informs you of a problem with the Electronic Throttle Control system. If a problem is detected the light will come on while the engine is running. Cycle the ignition key when the vehicle has completely stopped and the gear selector is placed in the P (Park) position. The light should turn off. If the light remains lit with the engine running your vehicle will usually be drivable, however, see your dealer for service as soon as possible. If the light is flashing when the engine is running, immediate service is required and you may experience reduced performance, an elevated/rough idle or engine stall and your vehicle may require towing. The light will come on when the ignition is first turned on and remain on briefly as a bulb check. If the light does not come on during starting, have the system checked by an authorized dealer.

I did a Forum search and didn't find a thread/post that's on-point. Any ideas? Cheers. Jorge

2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party

Last edited by JeepJorge; 03-25-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: clarity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:16 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

My first thought is the ETC does indeed have a problem.
All the other lights/ac etcetera are likely resultant, so currently I wouldn't give them much concern.

After shutoff and restart, did it change anything?

I've had this twice on my SRT8 Magnum but, of course, couldn't duplicate it for anyone.

Twice like once every two years......not going to get my jockeys in too much of a bunch over it.

Hope it acts up for your dealer.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by robby View Post
My first thought is the ETC does indeed have a problem.
All the other lights/ac etcetera are likely resultant, so currently I wouldn't give them much concern.

After shutoff and restart, did it change anything?

I've had this twice on my SRT8 Magnum but, of course, couldn't duplicate it for anyone.

Twice like once every two years......not going to get my jockeys in too much of a bunch over it.

Hope it acts up for your dealer.

Rob
I did the restart but it didn't solve anything. After I left Large Marge at the dealer I thought about disconnecting the negative terminal hoping to reset the computer that way. Luckily, my hotel is 1/4 mile from the dealership, so I walked back and tried it. No dice; it still flashes the ETC and the engine runs really rough.

Did your issue sort itself out? What did you do?

2006 Limited, Light Khaki Metallic, Light Graystone/Dark Khaki Leather, HEMI, QDII, Rear DVD, REC Nav w/09 Database, woody side, EGR hood deflector, AEM Gun Metal Brute Force CAI, tilting rearview mirrors.
“I did not enter politics out of philanthropy but rather as an extension of my own annoyance at having inherited freedoms infringed by power-crazed idiots spouting gibberish”. Nigel Farage MEP; Leader, UK Independence Party

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

In my case, the shut off restart proceedure resolved it.

I figure it'll go haywire some day when I'm in east bumble**** 500 miles from nowhere, on a Sunday like you.

Rob

|
|
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

2WD
It seems a gremlin went through the computer yesterday; Large Marge runs just fine today. Showed up at the dealership extra early to beat the rush and turned the engine over just for giggles. Fired right up and no lights came on; took her for s spin (did a bit of Italian tune-up by accelerating to 90) and everything is A-OK. Go figure.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

good deal just keep on eye on it

2006 jeep commander many mods.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

2WD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer recovery team View Post
good deal just keep on eye on it
I know; it probably would have been a grand or more to put that ETC back on its feet. Dodged a big one!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

Well thats good, we all need luck from time to time.
haha

2006 jeep commander many mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in