Cruise Control Servo Replacement? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,091, Level: 17 Points: 1,091, Level: 17 Points: 1,091, Level: 17
Level up: 91% Level up: 91% Level up: 91%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via Yahoo to tealc_07
Cruise Control Servo Replacement?

Hey fellow Jeep owners!

I've been having issues with my cruise for a while now, I was told by a guy from a dealership that it could be the cruise control servo/actuator?

I've found the part online but have no idea where to even look to check if mine is bad.

Has anyone found this part on their Jeep on accident? If so, can you describe where it's located?

Here is the thread where I described my issue...
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2653

Thanks so much!

2006 Jeep Commander 3.7L V6... stock for the most part... LED Emergency lights under front and rear luggage rack...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

The servo you are asking about is only found on the 4.7 V-8 that uses a throttle cable.
It acts as a mechanical link to open/close the throttle plate at the throttle body.

Your 3.7 V-6 and the 5.7 V-8 utilize a electronic throttle control.....there is no cable nor is there any visable throttle linkage......the components that open/close the throttle plate are all in a housing built into the side of the throttle body assembly.

Long way of saying, don't look too hard.

Since your issue is intermittent, there is a electrical gremlin in there, somewhere.
It could be as simple as a misadjusted brake light switch or as complex as a control module.

This one will likely require the dealer to operate your vehicle with the scanner attached so it can see what is happening when the cruise misbehaves.

Rob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2012, 11:50 PM
Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71 Points: 11,873, Level: 71
Level up: 56% Level up: 56% Level up: 56%

Robby: I am pretty certain all V6 engines were cable controlled until 2008 when they switched over to drive by wire.

It it means anything, when the vehicle is in cruise control, I can feel the gas pedal adjust constantly. Is this due to the cable control, maybe I don't know.

2006 Black 65th Anniversary Edition
3.7L V6

Last edited by bob123; 04-07-2012 at 11:53 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71 Points: 11,816, Level: 71
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob123 View Post
Robby: I am pretty certain all V6 engines were cable controlled until 2008 when they switched over to drive by wire.

It it means anything, when the vehicle is in cruise control, I can feel the gas pedal adjust constantly. Is this due to the cable control, maybe I don't know.
Bob,

I was of the belief all of the V-6 and Hemi versions were drive by wire.
So, if your V-6 version has a cable, well, that blows my theory out the window.
So, you are telling me your Commander has a cable to the throttle linkage?

If so, then, to the OP: Since you indicate the cruise works intermittent, the servo would be the least likely (although possible) cause for your concern.
The cruise buttons themselves, as well as a incorrectly adjusted brake light switch are your first stops to look over.
An incorrectly positioned brake switch will prevent the cruise from energizing as it interpets this as brakes applied, cancelling the cruise mode.
The steering wheel switches could have debris in them, obviously not sending a signal to enable the cruise.
I think I would check the brake/cruise cancel switch first.....it may be adjusted incorrectly or the mounting bracket is ever so slightly bent.

If all appears well, I would remove/reinstall the wire harness plugged into the servo....the servo is attached to a second arm on the throttle body....the other arm on the throttle body will have the accelerator cable attached.
By removing/re-installing the connector, you will be scraping any corrosion off the pins or corresponding connectors at that point.

Beyond that, short of indescriminatly throwing parts out, I would defer to the dealer so they can attach the starscan tool and see what is or is not happening when the cruise is enabled.

Rob

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in