First set of new brakes..what was your experience??? - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52 Points: 6,355, Level: 52
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

First set of new brakes..what was your experience???

'07 with 74,000 miles.

Brakes had felt 'spongey' lately. I knew the time was close for brakes. Needed pads for the rear.

BUT

the guys said the front brakes look almost new. They are the original set of pads. Is that normal?? Or could there be an issue with not enough 'muscle' going to the front discs.

2007 Overland, HEMI 4x4, QD II, rear DVD, Light Greystone Pearl, Wrangler SilentArmor 245/65R17

2011 Grand Cherokee Overland Summit, HEMI 4x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM
Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59 Points: 7,833, Level: 59
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Activity: 23% Activity: 23% Activity: 23%

Own a Commander?: Yes
Model year: 2006
Trim Package: Sport
Power-Train: 3.7L V-6
4WD
If 4WD - system: QT-I
Current Mileage: 125K
Thats pretty impressive if you had this since new. If so, I'm definately going with mopar pads next time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 3.7l Silver black and crome Sport W QT1
K&N cai. Aridium 1X plugs. 1.5" Spider Trax...
Tinted windows gone. Got ticketed for 137.50!! Full Synthetic motor oil and many more mods...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40 Points: 4,033, Level: 40
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%

I have just over 45k on my original pads and rotors. I had the tires off in May and they still had a lot of life in them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45 Points: 5,013, Level: 45
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%

bleed the brakes

2006 jeep commander many mods.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 12:34 PM
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

I just replaced the rear brakes and rotors on my 07 Commander with 106k miles. It was easy to do and cost the same to replace the rotors vs turning them. The fronts have been changed one time I believe at about 70k miles and they have plenty of life left on them still.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81 Points: 15,906, Level: 81
Level up: 12% Level up: 12% Level up: 12%

The Commander has a 50/50 weight distribution, plus the rear pads are much smaller than the fronts.

Its NOT uncommon to have to change the rear pads before the front in a Commander, while in most vehicles you have to change the fronts twice as often as the rear.

I just changed the pads in my Commander at 93k miles. That was my experience, the rear were squealing with every brake application. Got a new set of pads for front and rear. The rear pads were NOT down to the back plates yet, so they weren't to the point of doing damage to the rotors, but the squeal made it obvious the pad material was so thin and close to the back plate that it wasn't functioning properly and making the noise. The fronts still had some good life left in them, maybe 10% or more.

The replacement pads, OMG, they are massive, we are talking twice as thick as most car pads.

So, that could be why your mechanic was saying they look new, the Commander's front pads could be worn half-way down and still look the same thickness as most car's pads new.

And I've seen posts where folks get close or more than a 100k miles on their OEM pads, that was my experience. The fronts looked like they could have easily could have gone past 100k miles, the rear another 2k-3k miles easy as well, if I was willing to put up with the constant squealing, and why I was at it, I knocked out the front pads as well.

Last edited by Mongo; 10-06-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in