New commander Taillight problems! - Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum
Regular Service / Maintenance This section contains discussion about regular service and maintenance (upkeep) of your Jeep Commander

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Points: 1,767, Level: 24 Points: 1,767, Level: 24 Points: 1,767, Level: 24
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Exclamation New commander Taillight problems!

Just got my Commander, and LOVE it! However while loading up my trailer to move I noticed that when the lights are on, the rear driver's side running light does not light, pass. side DOES work, perfectly.

I swapped all lamps, did not fix issue. I removed the taillights and found an aftermarket trailer light adapter (A potential Score, if functional) It is a nice one with matching weatherproof connectors, no messy splicing. Even so I completely removed it from the circuit, making it 100% original, and the problem continued.

It is wet and cold here in MI, but I crawled under the back end, and nothing looked mangled to me. I also verified all fuses, no problem there either.

I get the feeling this is a common problem, as I've read about it here, and funny enough my dad's 08 GC RME does the same thing. I'm hoping for a solution not involving a dealer, these are taillights for heaven's sakes.

Sorry about the wall of test, in short, it's NOT: bulbs, fuses, or trailer light adapter. What's left to check?

Quick Stats:
2006 Commander
3.7L V6
65th edition
Non-Nav, Non HID lights, pretty basic.

Thanks in Advance!

Last edited by Centcomm87; 12-12-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: add info on vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM
Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

I had this issue twice and it turned out to be a faulty trailer light wiring harness both times. if you look under the Jeep you will notice a black box about the size of a deck of cards. If you unhook this from the rear brake lights and hook up the lights the way they were prior to the harness install they should then work. If they work after the harness is unhooked you have proven you have a faulty harness. I hope this solves your troubles as it is the cheapest fix.

2006 Jeep Commander sport. 4.7L. Navigation + rear DVD. Grey Leather Interior. Roof rack. Aries Bull Bar with off road lights 2x100 Watt bulbs. Snorkel removed from stock air box.255/65/17 General Grabber AT2. Stainless steel front skid plate.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 10:27 AM
Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30 Points: 2,549, Level: 30
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%

sorry i miss read your above post. You have looked into the most common problems already. I cannot help.

2006 Jeep Commander sport. 4.7L. Navigation + rear DVD. Grey Leather Interior. Roof rack. Aries Bull Bar with off road lights 2x100 Watt bulbs. Snorkel removed from stock air box.255/65/17 General Grabber AT2. Stainless steel front skid plate.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Points: 1,767, Level: 24 Points: 1,767, Level: 24 Points: 1,767, Level: 24
Level up: 67% Level up: 67% Level up: 67%

Yes, unfortunately I've eliminated the trailer harness as the problem. Any and all help is appreciated, this is my first Chrysler product in years, so there are NO stupid suggestions in my thread!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 04:05 PM
Points: 4,556, Level: 43 Points: 4,556, Level: 43 Points: 4,556, Level: 43
Level up: 3% Level up: 3% Level up: 3%

have you inspect bulb socket for dirt or corrosion sometimes all it needs is to clean the bottom contacts and retightening the socket so the bulb fits tight in it,make sure you test the bulb too even if its new ,taken ground and positive from the socket with test light or multimetre

2006 commander limited 5.7 hemi silver loaded and now with hid's hi low and fogs,now with viper 5901 alarm starter combo and idatalink ads al ca ch5,yokohama geolandar I/T GO72
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum > Jeep Commander Discussion > Regular Service / Maintenance

Tags
light , running lights , tail , taillight

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Commander Forums: Jeep Commander Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in